Should I prepare for a suprise?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minister man

Reaction score
Hi, I have a miniature filly. She just turned three. I got her the first week of july last summer. So she was two when I got her. She was in a pasture with several minis including 2- 18 month old colts and a 20 year old stallion. The males were in the pasture from March until the day we took her out to bring her home.

At this point if she is in foal she would have to foal before June 10. I am feeling like there is udder development ......... some days and not sure the next......... She isn't huge, but seems like she might be getting bigger....... I don't know if it is happening, or if I am just seeing it because I kind of want her to be in foal.

She is out in a paddock in the day time.............with two saddle horses and a mini gelding, and at night she is in a standing stall. I don't leave her out at night because of predators. The grass is just starting to green up so, Pasture isn't available yet........

I can bed a box stall with straw and leave her in it in case she is in foal, but then again she may not be in foal at all......... I am not sure which way to go........ It is disappointing to prepare for a foal that isn't coming, but might be worse to lose a foal that is coming because I wasn't prepared........ What do I do? are there sure signs that she is in foal or not? What would you do?

There is a VERY strong chance she could be in foal, if she was pastured with those colts and a mature stallion. As for the udder development, that is how it starts out. Just slight changes...one day it feels like something, the next, soft again. Is best to try to get into a routine of checking a few times a day, and around the same times each day, so you can compare that way. They may feel firm at 10:00am and then be soft again at 2:00, so you could miss it.

It is best for them to get daily exercise and not be confined to a stall all the time. I would definitely put her in the box stall overnight though. By this time, if she is in foal, you should definitely be able to feel movement. Stand over her back, kind of like you are hugging her, and feel he sides at the end of her rib cage to see if you can feel anything. Don't poke hard, but it is safe, with a flat, open palmed hand to apply gentle pressure in different areas, to try to get the foal to move, so apply pressure, then let your hands relax and see if you can feel any movement. Other than that, you can have a vet rectally palpate or ultrasound her. Not sure what's out there for urine tests anymore, that would work this late in the pregnancy.

EDITED TO ADD: I just googled and the WeeFoal 120 test is good right to the end of term, so that would be my choice other than having a vet test.

Last edited by a moderator:
You also can take pictures from behind and broadside at her level. Also take udder pictures. Put it in the Foaling mare forum and many people with experience can help you out.

Adding some photos would be a big help to people here who would like to help answer your question.
default_yes.gif
But if you would like to add photos This is the forum you would add them to, so please add them to this post. The pregnancy, foaling, and mare stare forum is for questions about the already known pregnant mare. It is also for farms (or individuals) with breeding dates on their mares who desire help getting ready for a foal... it is also for posting foaling cam links for owners who would like help watching their foaling cams.

The yearling colts your mare was pastured with could very well have bred her, it does happen. Since a stallion got in with them the last of March... she was exposed to him also, until you took her to your farm on June the 30th last year. There is a good possibility she was bred.

At this point I think I would be working on a possible due date using the breeding dates from April 1 to June 30 2015.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree about pictures....Get down to her level and aim front to back and also from her rear forward.....

The best time to feel foal movement is when she's eating or immediately after.

Good luck.

Thanks for all the advice, I will try to get some pictures tomorrow, if it's not raining. She was outside today, and when I brought her in this evening, she was thirsty and was drinking from her water bowl. We could watch her side ( the flank right in front of the hind leg) and there was definitely moving. It was not rhythmic like breathing, but it was like small random punches. We were comparing her to the gelding standing next to her, and his stomach was moving with his breathing, but this was not like that. The only area that was moving was between the hind leg and her rib cage. Tomorrow I am bringing in straw, iodine, and a baby enema. I have only raised one foal before, but I know that IF there is a foal, then I know I need those things.

Cant wait to see some pictures of her
default_smile.png

Dont let her fool you by not being "huge" Maiden mares will often carry higher up in the abdomen and can really keep you guessing right up until foaling.

If you feel she may have some udder development dont be surprised that its filling then going down. As she is moving around more during the day you will notice it decrease.

Ryan

Thanks for all the advice, I will try to get some pictures tomorrow, if it's not raining. She was outside today, and when I brought her in this evening, she was thirsty and was drinking from her water bowl. We could watch her side ( the flank right in front of the hind leg) and there was definitely moving. It was not rhythmic like breathing, but it was like small random punches. We were comparing her to the gelding standing next to her, and his stomach was moving with his breathing, but this was not like that. The only area that was moving was between the hind leg and her rib cage. Tomorrow I am bringing in straw, iodine, and a baby enema. I have only raised one foal before, but I know that IF there is a foal, then I know I need those things.
Yes, it sure sounds like you have a foal on the way! If you are gathering some essential foaling items, I would strongly suggest getting some lubricant as well, especially since she's a maiden. Better to spend a few dollars and not need it, than to need it and not have any on hand, since time is of the essence when it comes to foaling. Find a water soluble type such as KY Jelly. If you can get some sort of lube from a vet, that may even be better. GOOD LUCK!!!
default_thumbup.gif

And have some clean towels stored safely nearby too.... Oh, and a trash bag for the placenta.

We always worm our new mom with Ivermectin shortly after the birth. Do you know if you are in a selenium deficient area or not? WE are, so we give our newborn foals a shot for that....which our vet provides. I'd also recommend having some Banamine for your mare to help with cramping.

I did take some pictures, but I don't see how to up load them, so I will have to look again later.
Click on "more reply options" at the bottom of the typing space, when the window reopens, there will be a place to browse and upload your pics.

She should have a "baby bump" sticking out more on one side than the other......or, the foal has dropped down low (which is what happens in the last days of pregnancy.)

Does she have any milk developing? What does her udder look like? Since she's a maiden mare, her bag may not fully develop ahead of time, but you should see a change.

It's really hard to tell anything looking at the side view. The other 2 photos though I would say she's not pregnant, but like Miniv said if she's in the last stages then these photos could be deceiving. Keep a close eye on her!

I didn't disappear the form decided not to let me sign in for quite some time. Then I tried it tonight and it worked. I have no idea why..... There is no foal so I guess I just jumped the gun...

There are no studs for hire near here. I may buy a colt and breed her next year........... Actually there is a beutiful 3 year old colt for sale near here for a couple hundred dollars. He may become my baby daddy.

I'm glad you got to log back in. I'm sorry your girl wasn't pregnant, it's so exciting (and scary) to wait and prepare for a foal.

Latest posts

Back