Should I get a vet out?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaintMeAMini

Reaction score
My new mini started walking funny today on his back right when he walks he throws his leg out and is limping I have no doubt my mini mare probably kicked him. Do you think I should get a vet out?

I didn’t feel any heat but I will definitely keep a check. I’m going to put him in the stall and might see when our vet can check him out.

I feel bad about putting him in the stall though because from where we got him they left him in a stall with another pregnant mare and no time outside and it was dark and nasty. 😕

If he's limping at the walk, I would recommend getting a vet out, especially with a hind leg. Can he flex his hind leg normally, or is he swinging it out because it won't bend? Minis can do funny things with their knees, and sometimes if they have a locked stifle joint they can injure their hip trying to correct the stifle problem which makes management a lot more difficult. Getting it looked at early can make things easier to treat. Good luck!

If he's limping at the walk, I would recommend getting a vet out, especially with a hind leg. Can he flex his hind leg normally, or is he swinging it out because it won't bend? Minis can do funny things with their knees, and sometimes if they have a locked stifle joint they can injure their hip trying to correct the stifle problem which makes management a lot more difficult. Getting it looked at early can make things easier to treat. Good luck!
Sometimes it will bend but when it doesn’t it pops.

Do you mean it pops and then will bend again or it makes a popping sound and won't bend. I'd get a vet out.

Do you mean it pops and then will bend again or it makes a popping sound and won't bend. I'd get a vet out.
He will throw his leg out and it will pop and then it will bend again.

Sometimes it will bend but when it doesn’t it pops.
That sounds like it could be the stifle to me, sometimes their knee cap can get stuck in the position its in when they lock it to sleep standing up, its called "upward fixation of the patella". I'd definitely have it checked out by a vet. If its the knee cap getting stuck, sometimes it can self-resolve, but they vet may have to intervene if it keeps re-occurring. The way horse's generally unlock their stifle on their own is contracting their thigh muscles, but sometimes with minis, when the knee cap is stuck and they're trying to correct it, they can contract their muscles so forcefully it can luxate their hip joint. A vet can definitely give you a better idea of what's going on and what the best way to move forward is. I think generally if they look abnormal at a walk, its best to get them checked out. Good luck with your little guy!

That sounds like it could be the stifle to me, sometimes their knee cap can get stuck in the position its in when they lock it to sleep standing up, its called "upward fixation of the patella". I'd definitely have it checked out by a vet. If its the knee cap getting stuck, sometimes it can self-resolve, but they vet may have to intervene if it keeps re-occurring. The way horse's generally unlock their stifle on their own is contracting their thigh muscles, but sometimes with minis, when the knee cap is stuck and they're trying to correct it, they can contract their muscles so forcefully it can luxate their hip joint. A vet can definitely give you a better idea of what's going on and what the best way to move forward is. I think generally if they look abnormal at a walk, its best to get them checked out. Good luck with your little guy!
Thank you so much! So I should keep him in the stall?

Thank you so much! So I should keep him in the stall?
I would definitely consult a vet, because this is just anecdotal from my own experiences. But if you have a small area to turn him out, I would say maybe do that instead of stall rest. Just from my experiences, I was told that turnout might be better so that they can move around a little and hopefully unlock their stifle if it gets stuck again and keep it unlocked, as opposed to just standing in one spot in a stall. But again, the best thing would be to ask a vet when possible.

Stall rest is a tough one. If he's injured himself you don't want him moving around a lot until you know what's going on. it's also not always good for them not to move.....catch 22 right now. Just writing this as summer_rain posted what I was going to say. If you have somewhere he will be happy and can move a bit and be next to the other 2 that's best. You don't want him reinjuring/making it worse if he's upset or running with/after the others. It depends on how you're set up there for what you do. Get a vet out so you know what's going on and what's best to do for him.

Latest posts

Back