Should I be worried?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tricetta

Reaction score
I know that little ones will eat mom's manure, but has anyone heard of an adult horse doing that.

I have a stallion that now and than will do it, and i have noticed that my yearling stallion is picking. Not sure if it is a monkey see/monkey do thing.

They both get fed 2 times a day along w/ hay in the a.m. I also have a mineral & selenium block in their pens.

I am not sure if they are lacking something in their diet that would cause them to do it. Is it something i should be worreid about ?
sad.gif

Never heard of older horses doing this. Perhaps a quick call to the vet can provide an answer. I'll be curious to see if anyone has experienced this.

Cindy

Possibly they are bored and just looking for something to munch on. Maybe hay twice a day will help. They are grazing animals and must get tired of doing nothing. Now me, if I get bored I just get on the computer. LOL

Hello fellow NY person. If your paddocks are like mine they are bone dry and not much grass. My kids are out all day until dark. They get hay at turn out and hay at nite. I'd say boredom. Are they out all day? Won't hurt them but YUCK!

Back