Should I be concerned?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maplegum

Reaction score
I'm assuming it's just her personality, but I'd like to check with others out there.

Bailey has always been a little rocket!
default_wacko.png
Lots of fun, lots of energy. He is 18 months old.

Willow on the other hand is so placid, to the point where I'm actually questioning whether thats normal or not. She's 8 months old now and I thought that being a baby, she'd have lots of energy and would be burning around the field all the time.

An example. Tonight I was in their field with the lawn mower. Bailey comes racing over to check out what I was doing, takes a sniff of the mower then races off bucking, kicking, farting... He played like this with me for a good hour or so. Willow raced off a couple of times, but just went back to eating again. She just doesn't seem to be as lively as Bailey.

Willow is so placid. I went through all the naughty stages with Bailey at that age, nipping, authority issues etc...but nothing like that with Willow. She has never had a 'lesson' as such with me trying to teach her to lead....she just did it, like she has always done it! Lifting her feet, tying her up, really never had any lessons...she just did it!

She has NEVER bitten, kicked or anything that I would expect a young horse to try. She really is a gentle giant.

It's kind of like my kids I guess. I have one little pocket rocket and then one gentle giant.
default_wub.png

I guess I'm concerned because it's not what I expect from a young horse. She is well fed, wormed and of course, well cared for.

Should I be concerned or is she really just a little 'lady'.
default_wub.png

I've added this photo as this is what my Bailey and Willow are all about.
default_wacko.png

kittysilly.jpg

xox Leonie xox

My hunch is that she's just being her sweet self and that all is well and normal with her. Colts typically are more fired up than fillies. I've had some girls who were spitfires, but most of them are just quieter than the boys
default_yes.gif

She is well and content as she should be being so well loved. No need to worry.

She could have ulcers. i know it sounds far-fetched but i had a colt acting like your filly and with treatment for ulcers it made a world of difference! jennifer
default_saludando.gif

You could never tell that Timmy and Noelle are full brother and sister by the way they act. Timmy is always busy, full of snot and blow, tail flaggin the whole nine yards. Noelle on the other hand is as steady as they come. Sure she runs and plays but doesn't make a rucus. She acts "mature" calm, placid to the point where I even put her on ulcer meds a while ago, did a 5 day thing with the Safeguard just in case. But nope, she's just a laid back kinda girl.

If you are that concerned, you could hit her up with probios or ulcerguard, something like that to calm your fears and see if she picks up any steam.

I'm so happy to read these replies.
default_smile.png
I now understand that it's 'normal' and that she really is a little 'lady'. I really love having 2 horses with such different personalities.

Thanks everyone, I might also try some ulcer treatment just to ease my mind.

xox Leonie xox

If nothing is wrong with her physically, I would say....count your blessings! Those ones that like to cause a rucus are sometimes hard to handle. If you got a sweet one, then I say you may have yourself one heck of a youth horse later on!
default_biggrin.png

Latest posts

Back