Should he stay a stallion?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
First I need to say I am completely new to the mini world. I train barrel horses and have had stallions at stud and completed on several stallions. I get stallions, not the mini one I just got but big ones...

Here is my problem....I bought a miniature stallion super cheap! He is 10 yo. He showed one season in 2001 and did well( I guess, he earned 24+ points in halter and won the Fort Worth Stock Show.) That is the only show I recongize because my husband is a super int. for the beef heifer show. I want to show him in the jumping and hunter class, maybe halter or driving classes later. So he will have more points starting next year(I hope!!!) What I need to know is: Is he worth keeping a stallion? He is a pain in the rear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He is good when on lead. Most of his manner problems stem from no one doing anything with him for a few years. He has gotten better since I got him because I work with him everyday. He still wants to walk on me but is getting better with not herding me like his mare. If he is bred nice then I would keep him a stallion, if just okay then I want a nice little gelding to play with.

Here is his pedigree...

sire Samis Lil Bananarama

dam Horse Pen Creek Sue Ellen

He came from Roger & Connie Davis.

It's really hard to say without pictures. It sounds like he did well with his limited showing, and I have seen pictures of a lot of nice horses from Sami's Lil Horse Ranch. I'm not familiar with the farm his dam is from or the people you purchased him from.

I think the better question to ask instead of is he good enough to keep a stallion, is "Is there a reason for him to be a stallion?" In other words, do you honestly have any plans on using this horse for breeding? Does he have all the qualities you would want in a breeding stallion? Would he be happier as a gelding (more socialization perhaps)? With the plans that you have for him, it really sounds to me like it would be better to geld him. There are so many stallions out there, and as it is often said a good stallion makes a great gelding. So, I say geld him and enjoy him as a wonderful gelding.

Well, if you're new to minis and just starting out, why not geld him and learn with him? A good stallion makes a great gelding! And if you want to breed later, there are always outside stallions.

Of course, pictures would be helpful too, but I think you would have a lot of fun with a show gelding, and he may become a bit calmer and easier to handle when gelded.

Samis has bred a lot of good horses in the past, been around a long time, guessing from the name he's sired by a Shadow Oak's Top Bananana son/grandson. I don't recognize the name of his sire, though.

It's impossible to say if he's worth keeping a stallion or not based purely on his bloodlines. There have been poor quality offspring from every bloodline and every line has its virtues and faults. ANY breeder who tells you their breeding stock/bloodlines unfailing produce superior quality every time is either a liar or clueless. You can mate 2 National Grand Champions together and get something painfully mediocre- sometimes the genetic dice just don't fall the way you planned.

I guess before we even get into discussions of "is he good enough", ask yourself why would you WANT to keep him a stallion? Stallions are a pain in the butt and breeding is NOT for the faint of heart or shallow of wallet. Unless he's really, really, REALLY amazing and you've got the ability to promote him & support him as a stallion, meh, there's no point. I know we're all pretty much conditioned to believe in the romanticized notion of the firey, proud stallion and all that jazz, but the reality isn't that fabulous. ;)

It has nothing to do with how good he is, the Mini world will survive without him it has done so far, anyway!!

If you do not need a stallion, geld him, as a good stallion will make an excellent gelding!!!

All power to the GELDINGS!!!

[SIZE=12pt]Since you have experience with stallions and showing, you probably have an intuition about your new guy. [/SIZE]

A lot depends on what you plan to do with him. If you plan to show, you might want to see if he is a ribbon winner before deciding.

Well I am pretty sure Im going to get him gelded next week. I know its hot but my barn and pens are all shaded and he only gets worked with during the middle of the night. Big horse people are crazy too, we stay up till 4 a.m. all summer. Plus, if I dont geld him now by next show season he will still be trying to hump everyting
default_no.gif
I think he is too stock type built to sire halter horses.

I do not know how to re-size my photos here is a link to my blog. It has some pictures of him on it.

http://kbarbarrelhorses.blogspot.com/

I am hoping to send him to Lyn Yung(?) to start him driving but we'll see......

Last edited by a moderator:
I would wait and see... he is a pain in the *#^& because he has been just standing there. Any of them will get that way, and sounds like he is coming around already. Once he has a 'job' he will learn there is a place and time.........but I agree, if you are not going to be breeding, what's the point of keeping him a stallion?

How's his movement? Good reach? He may make a fabulous performance horse rather than a halter horse (and personally I would breed to one of those quicker than a halter type any day- I like a horse that can DO something).

The pic was very tiny, so couldnt really see much of what he looks like, but I agree, have seen some really nice horses come from Sami's.

Hi there!

I personally would geld him, I think he is a VERY cute little guy, but not something that is really breeding material. I think he would make a nice gelding that you could do loads with!

I dont mean to sound rude or harsh, Ive gelded my own for not being just right, and everyone will have their own opinion of what is breeding material.

Good luck in your decision!

Cheers

Masako

My husband says I use the word too much........but I would GELD.

My husband says I use the word too much........but I would GELD.
I geld everything too, even the dogs and cats!!!! There is a lady that might want him so I may trade him for something younger. He is so good when there are no other horses around, but as soon any come near he can not focus. I think he has only bred 3 mares ever. 3 in 10 years no wonder he is naughty
default_wub.png
Thank you everyone for all your input!

He's sweet...not a Chestnut Roan, but very sweet!!!

May well be Bay base, I am not sure he is Roan either, it could just be Sabino roan...

Very cute little horse, though.

You really can't tell by the pics because you need to get down on their level to take the pics that don'tgive him a really big face, big body and tiny odd legs. I would do a pic from the side with him faceing you and one with him facing forward. But to do these pics I would be on my knees at least. You don't want to be too high and not too low. really look at the pics and see what you like and don't like. if he has major faults then geld him. But examine him in good pics. I know we all become barn blind at one time or another. Do what your hart says.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back