Shots for pregnant mares, studs and foals

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MBhorses

Reaction score
When do you all give your shots?Which shots do you give why or why not?Do you give shots annual? When your mare is close to foaling do you give prefoaling shots?Has anyone miss a year of shots if so what happen?Where do you get your shots vet or internet or coop?I ususally given annual and prefoaling, but last year I didn't do prefoaling because the year before my mare went into labor 3 days later we lost the filly
default_sad.png
.We have notice with this mare she trying to go into labor 3 to 5 days after prefoaling shots, so we have to wait til she foals.I know shots are very important for our animals. Is there anyone out there who don't give shots if so why or why not, I do know some folks can't give their horses shots because of money issues, but they take care of the horses other wise.I want to know how somone with big farms able to give shots and wormer to their horses I would hate to see their bill. Don't get me wrong I love the BIG farms as well as small Farms. I just feel sorry for them when they get their shots and wormers, vet bills and trimming bills.I have only four minis and two on the way it isn't cheap.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Me myself, I do a schedule of meds that works best for me.

For everyone (no breeding mares or foals here), we give:

Every other month, starting Feb: Rhinomune (rhinonuminitis)

March: Rabies, three way (Intervet, EEE, WEE, Tetnus), Recombitek rFlu, Merial EquiNile (the new Prevnile), and FD strangles IN.

Stallions, in January: Arvac (FD) EVA vaccine (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED, but must be pre-tested, vaccinated by a vet, and then post-tested, and MUST be vaccinated every year after that indefinately or the test is invalid).

* Well I can say, If Im going to breed anyone, NO ONE gets shots at all till after a foal is born and the studs are done breeding. I gave a 7 way every spring and never not once had a foal even tho I was breeding 5 mares. Soon as I waited on shots, everyone took!

I did however do tetnus. BUT now that Im done breeding everyone will be back on a regular schedule again.

* As for worming, every other month here!

* Farrier work, Im the farrier so when they need it.

* Teeth, just had it done in Dec. but has been yrs since a few have seen the dentise, and never for others, will be getting a yearly schedule on that as well.

I've bred hundreds of mares, and not had that problem. Try switching away from Fort Dodge, that can cause fever in stallions which can cause a period of infertility.

I've bred hundreds of mares, and not had that problem. Try switching away from Fort Dodge, that can cause fever in stallions which can cause a period of infertility.
I know something was happening cause for 3 yrs in a row, false pregos from my mares to outside mares. Last season before breeding, I did no shots and told my outside mare owner no shots... everyone took on 1st go around. (weird)

But like I said, this is going to be my last foal crop for awhile and all will be back on schedule again.

BUT thanks for the heads up on that brand! Ill have to look at what TSC's 7 way is made by.

Latest posts

Back