Shoppers Drug Mart

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kootenay

Reaction score
I just spent two days in the hospital after minor surgery that had complications, and when I went to get a prescription filled at Shoppers Drug Mart I noticed a line of 'antsy' looking people. I was pretty out of it at the time, but noticed people lining up to get a drink of something. It turns out that I showed up just in time to watch the town junkies getting their methadone fix
default_new_shocked.gif

I will never shop there again knowing this. I am beyond disgusted that something like this has to go on in front of non drug addict patients. I was so sick when I went in (almost to the point of passing out), and having to wait for these people to get their 'fix'. What is this world coming to???

I will definitely be writing head office over this matter. I thought that kind of thing went on in specialized private clinics--not in a major drugstore. Yuck!
default_no.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I had no idea that Shoppers offered this program anywhere--I too thought that they had specialized "local" clinics, and didn't realize that any major chain provided this 'treatment'. I suppose I wouldn't have a major problem with it if they had their own little counter off in a corner of the store...but I would be extremely upset if I went in to fill an ordinary prescription and had to wait in line with or behind those that were there for their fix or whatever you want to call it.

That is NOT what I expect when I go into Shoppers to pick up my prescriptions!

I agree with Lowrise. THink about if they had to go to a clinic how much more it would cost, and how much more it would tie up doctors/nurses from seeing other sick people?

addictions cant be stopped cold turkey as it can kill people.

Actually our Shoppers Drug Mart has had this program along with the quit smoking one for the past 2 years...it isn't all of them just a few select ones they have been testing with.

Would you prefer they NOT get treatment?

Those are the people who are trying (with varying degrees of effort & success) to get their lives in order.

Your post is so "oh woe is me, make those dirty people go away" *I* want to pass out. -_-

Was this a prescription shop? I had no idea that any of them did this sort of thing. Thank God, they don't here in my town. I totally understand your frustration over this! If I had a child that was in pain or had a high temperture, I would not feel that a drug addict had precedence over the counter help.

A prescription shop is for those who are ill, most against their will. Why should those who truly need help/medications have to wait for those who choose (or chose at one point) to be sick? They have addicition clinics where you can get treatment and therapy, why not have the "help" there?

If the Mart must have this kind of clinic, then I agree with whoever said earlier that it should be somewhere in the corner or seperate from the elderly and sick.

I'm sorry if my post sounded like I was trying to cry 'poor me', I was in an altered state of mind from being in the hospital in agony for 24 hours, and I was upset. It disturbed me to see those 'patients' getting their treatment, as I had never seen that before. It made me upset that they were all standing there glaring at me like I was not supposed to be there.

I do not know anyone personally that needs that drug to live their lives, or get clean, but I do understand that everyone should get fair treatment. I just didn't think that type of thing went on in drugstores--my bad.

Well, if you all want to make me out to be a bad person for not caring to stand in line with the methadone addicts waiting for their treatment...and as far as I know the two Shoppers Drug Mart stores in our town do not have this program (or else we just have no methadone addicts in the area?)...I'll just make it worse by saying that I changed dentists awhile back--mostly because I got tired of sitting in the waiting room with all the jail prisoners.

My dentist was the one that worked on the prisoners from the local jail--the jail here has some of the short term prisoners, plus it also serves as the dentention center where those awaiting trial are held until they have their court appearance and are given their sentence following a guilty verdict...the day they brought in a cop killer (since then CONVICTED cop killer) was too much. No, I'm not saying the prisoners shouldn't have treatment, but I don't have to sit there amongst them in the dentist's waiting room.

If I had a child that was in pain or had a high temperture, I would not feel that a drug addict had precedence over the counter help.
A prescription shop is for those who are ill, most against their will. Why should those who truly need help/medications have to wait for those who choose (or chose at one point) to be sick? They have addicition clinics where you can get treatment and therapy, why not have the "help" there?
WOW.
default_new_shocked.gif
.. I guess you have not yet heard drug addiction is a disease- no different then any other disease-- to be perfectly honest I am not sure just having a high fever is anywhere near comparable
default_wacko.png
any type of illness is for the most part against anyones will
default_wacko.png

I also would not want to be around it or them when waiting for my prescriptions, but I know drug addiction is a sickness... I doubt they have it "open for methadone" 24-7. It seems easy enough to avoid that situation again by inquiring as to when that side of the line is open for business since it's not pleasant to be around. Just go when they are not dosing out the methadone.

I dont know if everyone here realizes it, but methadone is used to try and keep people off of opioides. It isnt the meth that people usually associate with drug use. Yes is can be addicting, but less so than opiates and is a step in beating an addiction. Kudoes for those waiting for it, glad they are trying to get themselves clean. I wouldnt want to be there either, I would just find out when those hours are and be there at different times. I surely wouldnt stop using a place because they are trying to perform a valuable service. It would be like no longer going to a church because they have AA meetings.

I think the word 'disease' is used far to easily now. No, I dont think that alcoholism or drug use is a disease, but a hereditary issue. A disease , to me, is something that you have no control over, like the tick that bit me and gave me Lyme disease. I do not feel sorry for addicts because they know, before they start, that addiction can be a problem. Tough tookie if you get addicted. And I speak from experience in that, hubby is an addict, clean for 6 months, but an addict. HIs father was an addict, he knew the risks, tough tookie and stop whining ( that is a comment to hubby, no one here) .
default_rolleyes.gif

I wouldn't switch from my dentist, doctor or any local business that chose to participate in a program to supply methadone or services just because I had to wait in line with "undesirables" If the people around me made me feel unsafe, that's different- but no one here has said that. Everyone has just expressed their disgust at having to intermingle with them. Safety I can understand. Just having to wait in line with those icky disgusting druggies... I mean, really? I'd probably SUPPORT that local business, presuming they're not supplying services to individuals I feel are beyond redemption (convicted sex offenders, murderers, and the like- I'm a fan of just letting those loose on a deserted island with a knife and a jar of peanutbutter)

There's no one else on this planet who's going to take care of us. We have to look after each other. I'm not going to sit and give recovering heroin addicts twitching and waiting for their methadone angry looks. They're sitting there waiting for their methadone, not chasing a heroin fix. They've already hit rock bottom and they're probably still crawling around down there. Good for them. Recovery is hard. Breaking the addiction cycle is hard. Treating them like they're the scum of the earth (maybe they are, maybe they're not) isn't going to contribute to their recovery. I'm going to treat them like a human who made a bunch of really bad, bad choices but maybe it trying to make the RIGHT choices now.

If my dentist said she was going to start donating 2 hours a day to inmates at the local prison that the parole board felt were going to "change their lives" okay, that's great! How many of those people are really are going to reintegrate? I have no idea. Probably not many. But is that the point? In my mind the point isn't the practicality of it. The point is that someone cared. Someone did something besides sit there and crab and complain.

I wouldn't switch from my dentist, doctor or any local business that chose to participate in a program to supply methadone or services just because I had to wait in line with "undesirables" If the people around me made me feel unsafe, that's different- but no one here has said that. Everyone has just expressed their disgust at having to intermingle with them. Safety I can understand. Just having to wait in line with those icky disgusting druggies... I mean, really? I'd probably SUPPORT that local business, presuming they're not supplying services to individuals I feel are beyond redemption (convicted sex offenders, murderers, and the like- I'm a fan of just letting those loose on a deserted island with a knife and a jar of peanutbutter)
There's no one else on this planet who's going to take care of us. We have to look after each other. I'm not going to sit and give recovering heroin addicts twitching and waiting for their methadone angry looks. They're sitting there waiting for their methadone, not chasing a heroin fix. They've already hit rock bottom and they're probably still crawling around down there. Good for them. Recovery is hard. Breaking the addiction cycle is hard. Treating them like they're the scum of the earth (maybe they are, maybe they're not) isn't going to contribute to their recovery. I'm going to treat them like a human who made a bunch of really bad, bad choices but maybe it trying to make the RIGHT choices now.

If my dentist said she was going to start donating 2 hours a day to inmates at the local prison that the parole board felt were going to "change their lives" okay, that's great! How many of those people are really are going to reintegrate? I have no idea. Probably not many. But is that the point? In my mind the point isn't the practicality of it. The point is that someone cared. Someone did something besides sit there and crab and complain.

default_new_multi.gif
Exactly

I think the word 'disease' is used far to easily now. No, I dont think that alcoholism or drug use is a disease, but a hereditary issue. A disease , to me, is something that you have no control over, like the tick that bit me and gave me Lyme disease. I do not feel sorry for addicts because they know, before they start, that addiction can be a problem. Tough tookie if you get addicted. And I speak from experience in that, hubby is an addict, clean for 6 months, but an addict. HIs father was an addict, he knew the risks, tough tookie and stop whining ( that is a comment to hubby, no one here) .
default_rolleyes.gif
I'm fat, and believe it or not, I have a "disease". But if I exercise and eat right, and lose this weight (if only I had the motivation), then I can cure my disease.
default_rolleyes.gif
They classify everything (obesity, drug addiction, alcoholism, eating disorders, bad parenting, being a bad person, etc) as a disease. Now, I know that some people are overweight because they do HAVE a disease (thyroid disorder, diabetes, etc), but being lazy shouldn't be classified as the same thing. And I guess quite a few people have the "Nicotine trying and continuing" disease. After all, it's an addiction, therefore it's a disease. My father had a drinking problem, as did almost every member of his family. I on the other hand, HATE alcohol (the taste, the effects). So I guess I either lucked out with not getting his "abusive behavior" genes, or I decided I wasn't going to use the fact that my whole family did it, so I must to, excuse. My mom's ex-boyfriend has been a user for some time now. He keeps going to prison where he's clean for a couple years, then he get's out and does really good, until he starts hanging out with his old friends..then guess what...his disease comes back, and he get's caught yet again, just to start the whole cycle over. He has no problem staying clean, so if he moved or stopped hanging out with his "user" friends...but he chooses to go back to that lifestyle.
default_sad.png

I have nothing against people who do drugs...we all have our demons to fight with. I do however, chose not to associate myself with them any more than I have to. Yes they're people, and yes they deserve the same treatment and fairness that those who chose not to do drugs do, but there's places/clinics experienced to help those people. But all the same, the people you chose to socialize with speaks volums about the person you are. I spent my school years running around with gang members, and I had friends who did/sold drugs, who got drunk, who did crimes and murdered people...but those aren't the same people I'd hang around with now. I do however still say hi and talk with them when I see some of them. I have never done drugs, I've been drunk once ever, and I've never so much as stolen more than a coloring book when I was 4 years old (my mom didn't realize I had it in my hand until after we left the store, which we did go back and pay for).

My husband's sister killed her own three year old child while she was on drugs. I won't go into details because the Riverside police said it was the worst case they have EVER seen done to a child. A week before, she had mentioned that if she ever killed her kids, she would plead insanity due to drugs. She got sentenced to ten years in a sanitarium, and she is now out amongst us, causing more trouble.
default_shutup.gif
People use the fact that drugs are a disease way too easily. People don't choose their diseases! People don't chose to have cancer, or diabetes, or parkinsons...it's something that happens to them. People choose to do that first hit, or take that first drink, and they let it get carried away to the point that they have trouble stopping. There's a big difference, and there are places these people can go to get treatment...it shouldn't be where children and elderly have to witness it.

Reading thru this thread you can tell who has been affected by drugs or alcohol. I am sorry I am amongst the ones who have no tolerence for drug or alcohol addiction. Having had experience with this, these people choose to hurt the ones they love over a pill or a drink---the next high. I know you can say they can not help themselves, sorry, it does not help my attitude. No, I do not want to be in line next to those battling their addiction, it just hurts too much. I would want to yell and scream at them how could you do this to your families, much less your own bodies.
default_no.gif

Check with the store and see what times you can go without being disturbed by it.

Reading thru this thread you can tell who has been affected by drugs or alcohol. I am sorry I am amongst the ones who have no tolerence for drug or alcohol addiction. Having had experience with this, these people choose to hurt the ones they love over a pill or a drink---the next high.

You have helped me with a lot but I have to totally disagree with you. Its not a matter of chooseing to hurt people, but more so hurt themselves. The thing that gets me is when anybody has drug, alcohol, eatting issues, or self injury issue its all about the outside people it hurts, nobody ever seems to think what the reasons are that are behind it. It actually has to do with the person who has the issue not everybody around them.

Reading thru this thread you can tell who has been affected by drugs or alcohol. Check
I have been effected by drugs and alcohol for sure . I have worked at drug rehabs for many years for adolecents it is devestating and for the record the amount of kids who are addicted to drugs and alcohol have suffered both physical and sexual abuse is rather larger.....

Back