shoes

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jiterbug

Reaction score
I have a small pony (40") I've been riding him on pavement lately and my neighbor said that I need to get shoes on him because it will make his hooves crack. Is this true? Can I even find shoes this small? BTW, I've been using a cart, I'm not actually riding him. Also, yesterday I was cleaning out his hooves and there is a piece of his hoof kind of peeling off. It is on the inside of his hoof up inside. Is this serious? The pick got caught in it and that is how I found it.

thanks,

jiterbug

It's personal preference. But if you are driving him up and down on a lot of pavement, I might look into it. If the hooves are white you could wear through them pretty fast. Yes there are keg shoes that small, or you could use mule shoes too.

Make a call to your ferrier and talk about it.

For practical purposes, a horse going barefoot versus needing shoes totally depends on the use of the horse and the quality of their feet.

I would play it by ear. From what it sounds like, your pony is okay, they sluff their sole regularly and their feet are not always perfectly smooth top and bottom. If your pony starts to develop cracks in the wall, then I would consider shoes.

Andrea

[Thanks guys. He seems okay, I'll keep an eye on him.

jiterbug

quote name=muffntuf' date='May 10 2008, 07:57 AM' post='1016372]

It's personal preference. But if you are driving him up and down on a lot of pavement, I might look into it. If the hooves are white you could wear through them pretty fast. Yes there are keg shoes that small, or you could use mule shoes too.

Make a call to your ferrier and talk about it.

Latest posts

Back