Shipping carts

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laura

Reaction score
[SIZE=12pt]I'm getting lots of inquiries about shipping a certain cart
default_rolleyes.gif
Does anyone have any recommendations on how to best go about advising these folks? [/SIZE]

I would think that most equine transport companies would be willing to carry one in a tack room, if they are already going that way. That seems safer to me than trying UPS (or something similar since) most horse people at least know how to NOT handle a cart
default_yes.gif

Any advice other than self pick up?

I sold one that was shipped by Old Dominion Freight. My husband is a distribution warehouse manager and was able to put it on a pallet standing up and shrinked wrapped it. If it can be delivered to a business address it was quite a bit cheaper, but they would deliver it to a personal address as well.

I sold another one that was picked up by someone hired out to haul a few horses and this cart(not a commerical hauler). It was hauled inside. Some of the "horse" haulers wanted to haul it on top. Not a good idea in my opinion not knowing the type of weather you are running into. I had a cart on top of my ex-trainers trailer.... didn't take the carts down overnight. There was a HUGE storm and the seat on my cart was pretty much ruined. Wasn't fun showing in a soaked seat.

I think I know which cart you are talking about and if I had to funds right now it's exactly what I would like to have.
default_smile.png

Kim

Jerald shipped my new cart via Yellow Frt, it arrived damaged - but no damage to the exterior wrapping so we missed it initially. Looked like they ran into it with a forklift, or dropped it hard. It was a long battle getting them to take any responsibility for it, and in the long run they didn't. They just gave me a partial settlement to go away. Fedex delivered the next one and tried to gouge us on shipping charges. Just had another one delivered here for someone else, it is fine but did have a couple of dings due to handling. Having a horse hauler take it is a great idea. I have no faith in freight companies.
default_wacko.png

Jan

Ive had the best luck with furniture movers. [Mayflower, Worldwide, Atlas, ETC.....] You can sometimes neg a better deal If you drop off at there local dock and have it picked up at their local dock. It cuts way down on the drivers time as they dont have to deal with loading and unloading, looking for the addresses, and dealing with the coustomer. DR.

[SIZE=12pt]Great advice everyone, thanks so much!!![/SIZE]

We ship our carts out through DHL. They are partially dissasembled and put into a wooden homemade box. So far we've only had 2 incidences. One cart was LOST.. completely..never recovered but they paid out insurance on it. Second the box for some reason got ruined and the cart came back in peices. they again paid out insurance. otherwise we've had very good luck with them and have sent out many carts this way. Contact me if you'd like more info on it.

[email protected]

Yellow Freight - by Exact Express, not Ground, class 150, Item 188960-2 !!! take wheels off and seat off, put in basket. weigh it / measure it. BUT REMEMBER height is cart on ground with no wheels, maybe 15 inches? but cannot be over 24 inches tall. or guess , my Jerald is 15 high x 51 wide x 80 long. weighs 8o lbs. ship from CO to OR is $285. do you know how to pack it? email if you dont. and you pay the guestimate shipping when they pick up or you drop off at terminal. aND THEN THE REAL EXACT INVOICE COMES IN 2 WEEKS AND THEN YOU PAY MORE OR YOU SUPPLY THEM WITH 5 DOCUMENTS TO GET REFUND. sorry for the caps

Latest posts

Back