Shipping boots

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicole

Reaction score
I have a mini being shipped out tonight for a long 16hr truck ride.

What are your suggestions for sending with shipping boots? Do I really need them?

I have always transported my big horses with them but I never see a mini with them on??

Anway just thougth I would ask

THanks

I personally do not use them.

I HAVE used them in the past and it seems they just don't stay in place and/or cause more problems than they might prevent. I have never had a shipping injury, either *knock on wood*.

Then again, I am not 100% sure of the purpose of shipping boots as the ones I had and have seen, even some on big horses don't seem to be doing much of anything, whereas a light wrap or splint boots, or whatever area you were concerned about might be better?

Sorry to answer you with a "question" but this is just my experience.

I have had Miniatures for 11 years now, and full size horses before that for 8 years. I have hauled both quite a bit, the Minis more because I show them and again have never had a shipping injury or problem with swelling.

Liz M>

Perhaps the lack of shipping boots on minis is due to the difficulty in finding a good pair that fits right. Just because something says it is for minis, doesn't mean it is accurately sized! I've bought several things for my minis that turned out to not be sized correctly. I don't use shipping boots on my minis, and even with the big horses, I just usually put them on my one mare that tended to scramble. If only I had had a slant load back then...sigh...

We use shipping boots. No, they do not fit perfect so they make look funny, but it helps protect the coronet area that is so delicate. We have played around with designing and making some that fit better and may continue that this winter...jennifer :saludando:

(if you do not have shipping boots, use polo wraps, just be sure to cover the coronet band).

I have them but don't use them - maybe because they are so big and bulky on a mini compared to a full size horse.

I always wrap my big horses or they wear boots however I have yet to find a pair of well made mini shipping boots that fit property and ill fitting boots I think IMO are worse then no boots at all.

Thanks to Sue C I finally do have mini sized poll bumpers though! :aktion033:

and even with the big horses, I just usually put them on my one mare that tended to scramble. If only I had had a slant load back then...sigh...

I have one good pair of shipping boots for my senior half-Arab gelding, he's a scrambler, so it's nice to protect his lower legs on long trips.

I have used them and still use them on some of my minis if they are going a long distance. Better safe than sorry. I dont use them if I am just hauling one but more than that I do and most likely will. I make my own for my minis so they have or tend to have a more custom fit. When I sell (which has only been one mini) I send them with their own shipping boots.

I use them! If you ever see me at a show unloading a horse, they will have shipping boots on. So far i have had no problems shipping thank god but every time we have a horse in the trailer i'm worried sick! I also have no problem with the shipping boots moving or anything like that. I got mine from minitack last winter and love them. I just feel safer knowing they have some sort of leg protection.

Also my shipping boots serve to jobs. Royal will not stand still when blacking his hooves and likes to step over and get freshly painted hoof black on his legs. Welllll when i paint his hooves i put shipping boots on him and tada its fixed, no more black spots on his lower legs! I love my shipping boots
default_yes.gif
:

Thanks Lisa...I am glad they work well for you. I still have to get my machine fixed...and will get another couple sets off to you.

I do use either wraps or boots, but it is hard to find the really good boots which cover the coronary band, and heel. The little squares that are more often seen, are, IMHO, nothing more than a "cute" wrap to match a blanket...as they offer little, if any, protection. when that darned machine gets fixed...
default_rolleyes.gif
: :lol:

To me it depends on how the horse trailers or the horse next to him. I had a mare that would have killed her legs or the horse next to her so I always wrapped her and the horses that had to travel next to her. I use bell boots and quilted leg wraps and polo wraps. I have would cut the quilted leg wraps down for a mini if they don't make them that size.

Shipping boots per say, no, I don't. But the soft quilted boots I'm going to begin to use again. Started to use them and stopped. My last show I could've kicked myself 10 times over......with Hershee's white legs....by the time I got to the show grounds, I had to bathe his legs all over again.....the nice green molecules in the grass took really well to his manure and well......you get the picture.
default_frusty.gif
:

I personally think that they are a waste of money.

Miniature horses simply do not have the weight and force to truly injure themselves in the same way that big horses can.

These wraparound velcro shipping boots lend no support to the tendons.

Therefore, I do not see the point in using them.

I use them.
default_yes.gif
: I don't regret getting them either.

Last edited by a moderator:
I always use them on my big horses regardless, along with the poll bumpers. I always use boots or wraps on my ponies if there is more than one animal in the trailer or if we are going to a show (white legs). I have on occasion not used them when hauling a single pony for a short distance, but probably should.

I wish Toklat would make those nice over-the-knee/hock boots for VSEs. I love my big ones.

I wish Toklat would make those nice over-the-knee/hock boots for VSEs. I love my big ones.
The mini shipping boots that I use, are the over-knee-hock type. I cannot recall the name..something like "pro-choice"...but not quite. If I can remember, or find the packaging...I will let you know.

Lauralee, I don't use them to protect the tendons, but to protect the knees/hocks, coronets and heel bulbs. I do wrap a couple of the horses who tend to jump around more than most, as then the tendons are protected too.

I used to wrap the Morgans when we were hauling in our 2 horse trailer to shows. However, when I've had horses shipped long distances (always by professional hauler) I've left them unwrapped. The furthest I've had a horse shipped is a 24 hour haul from Toronto to Winnipeg, where the shippers laid over then brought the horses on west the next morning. The seller insisted on wrapping the horse--said his girl was the best at leg wrapping. Shipper insisted that the horse should be left unwrapped, because no matter who wraps the horse, the bandages always slip. Keep in mind that this company is the one that transports all the big name high priced hunters & jumpers back & forth across the country--they are into keeping the horses healthy & sound & injury free. Seller still insisted that the horse be wrapped. I called the lay over stable & asked them to remove the wraps when my horse arrived--they did, and said they were in a mess when the horse arrived. When the horse arrived here the next morning he still had swollen legs--both front legs looked like he had bowed tendons, but it was "just" swelling from the pressure of slipping bandages. The shipper had been perfectly right!

So in view of that, no I would not wrap a Mini for a 16 hour trip. I don't even use boots or wraps when I'm hauling the minis locally.

Rather than asking "should I use them", another very important question is "is the horse used to them?" If not, then its safer NOT to use wraps (of any kind). The time to find out if they will like them is NOT the 16hr trip
default_smile.png
I love shipping boots, when they fit. I have an AWESOME pair that don't fit my horse, and its very sad to look at them and admire, but not use! But if your pony hasn't used them ever before, I wouldn't use them
default_smile.png
Its safer not to in that case.

I've never used shipping boots on any of my minis, even when going to Nationals and that's a 24+ hour drive. I've never had any problems, thank God.

Now if you do decide to use bandages or shipping boots, make sure the coronet band and the bulbs of the heel are covered, as a number of others have already noted, in case he steps on himself in the trailer.

Well he is off and I did not use them. He is not used to them to begin with and they are cheaper shipping boots, so they would problaby fall off anyway. The trailer was very well padded and the stalls went right to the floor.

I am sure he would be better without them anyway, he is a very quiet boy.

Thanks everyone and I am really glad to hear all the responses.

Latest posts

Back