shipping a weanling acrossed the country

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobinRTrueJoy

Reaction score
My babies are nearly 5 months old.Time sure does fly! The premies have matured nicely and are eating solid foods really well and drinking water fine, and easily could be taken away from their dams, but no need to just yet.

At what age would you prefer to ship a foal to the west coast from the east coast? Of course, the older the better, it seems to me, but what are you thinking?

Thanks!

Robin

The most important thing in my opinion is that they are well over the stress of being weaned.

I would also take into account the weather at the time of shipping; temps that aren't too hot would be far preferable, IMO. When I've bought weanlings, many times I've bought TWO when they have to go a long distance, so that they have a buddy. Not being alone makes it WAY easier on them.
default_wink.png

I agree with both of the comments listed.

I prefer to ship with a carrier that specializes in minis and has a box stall so that they can lay down and rest, which weanlings often do.

I also prefer to ship two, as it is far less stressful on them.

I ditto all the info above. Also if you do ship by carrier, try Sharraway - I know they stop often, have their rig set up for minis and shetlands and can do box stalls. And their driver's utmost concern is the health of equine they are shipping.

I wouldn't ship in super hot times of the year...........And even when it starts cooling off, check with your shipper about water availability and if they are rigged with fans in the trailer.........some are.

One other trick we have used in addition to the suggestions above is to load them with electrolytes far about a week before shipping. We use the Pfisher brand and it works well. You should be able to get it at most feed stores. Also send some of it with your baby to be added to the water while in transit. It helps them deal with the stress of hauling and helps with dehydration.

Good Luck
default_saludando.gif

Be careful with electrolytes if you use them when shipping.I have had a problem with a Mini not drinking enough and electrolyte paste(which I was using daily in extreme hot weather)was causing her more problems.If water intake is not enough the electrolytes will draw water from the body(this was explained to me by 2 different vets)I now use powdered electrolytes and table salt on her food to encourage more drinking.I also check her gums twice daily by running my finger under her upper lip.Since I started this routine no more colic bouts and laying down in the pasture due to not feeling well.I am in favor of a box stall and waiting until cooler weather. I prefer shipping horses older than weanlings.

The water based electrolytes are indeed much better in all but the extreme cases of need. The product I suggested is a water based product you put into the water. We have used it for a wide variety of animals after our Vet. suggestted it. Ww have even used it when shipping exotics with good results.

Latest posts

Back