Shipping A New Foal With the Mare

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

palsminihorses

Reaction score
I have a buyer for one of our mares that is due to foal July 2nd. The mare is staying here to foal out before being shipped by a commercial hauler. The mare and foal would be traveling nearly 1,500 miles. What is the earliest age that any of you have shipped a mare with her foal? I should add that this mare hauls fine for us.

Thank you for any information.

Pam C.

That's a loooooong trip for a foal. I wouldn't be comfortable with that until at LEAST 3-4 months old, perhaps even as long as 5-6 if it's with a commercial hauler. You never know how the hauler will fare, if they have any extra stops or layovers or delays, etc. it sure happens.

Just remember to charge board to your buyer ;)

Andrea

We prefer to have the foal be at least a month old. Basically, the foal should know about drinking from a bucket by then, and also is nibbling hay and grain too.

The reason behind this is as a precaution. There are occasions when a momma can dry up because of the stress of the ride. Yes, it is rare, but it has happened.

Wow Pam. That's a LONG trip!
default_unsure.png
I'm sure many have done it and survived just fine, but if there is any way you can wait as long as possible I would. How many days will the mare and foal be traveling? Have they told you how many layovers there will be? And will the mare and foal be able to get out for a night here and there on strecth their legs and relax? I don't know how many have done this, but I have. I've ridden in the back of a horse trailer (several times actually) and it's a rough ride no matter how careful the driver is being. All that swaying and trying to maintain balance will be hard on a young foal's legs.

Good luck. Let us know how it works out.

I have a 2mos old filly coming home with her dam riding 1,000 miles but will only be in the trailer 1 day and can lay down. I've not felt concerned about this trip at all...

Thank you all for your replies! I intend to talk to the hauler that the buyer is using, and I will ask those questions of how long they will be on the trailer and if they will be unloaded at all. I know in our experience with hauling foals that they will lay down on the trip.

Pam C.

Another thing to ask your hauler is about the space being provided for the mare and foal........

You want enough space so that both the mare and foal can turn around in it. This ensures that there's enough room for the foal to lie down and also to maneuver with for nursing.

Another thing to ask your hauler is about the space being provided for the mare and foal........

You want enough space so that both the mare and foal can turn around in it. This ensures that there's enough room for the foal to lie down and also to maneuver with for nursing.
Thank you! I will ask about the space also.

default_smile.png
I shipped my filly to a 2 day show with her mom when she was 3 months... i don't know if thats any help

Personally hauling for trips as long, I've seen they do lay down -- be sure room available.

One more thing --
default_yes.gif
default_wub.png
-- some haulers are not prepared for minis and have dividers that come up higher off of the floor. Be sure the stall they will be using is not one which would allow the foal to become separated from mom.

Yeah, we have made a real "easy" situation/question really HARD! Haven't we?
default_biggrin.png

[SIZE=12pt]Pam,[/SIZE]

I'd recommend saying it COULD be 3 months, but then reevaluate after the foal is born. An easygoing mare with an easygoing foal may be fine at 1 month. Just make sure they have plenty of room and the mare is NOT tied and make sure there's no halter on the mare. A foal that tends to stress easily or a Mama that's nervous will require a much longer wait.

It's funny, some of my mares could care less about much of anything when they have fillies, but when they have a colt suddenly everything makes them spaz out @@.

Thank you Jill, Lightning Crest, Bess, and Laura. Of course the new owner wants the foal as soon as possible.......who wouldn't?!
default_smile.png
It would have worked out so much better if the buyer could have found transport before she foaled! I've been told the the hauler is familiar with hauling mini's, but again, another good question to make sure the dividers go to the floor for them.

Oh, and Andrea, I wasn't planning on charging board for them. Hmmmm, may have to re-think that one!

Thanks for the help!

Pam C.

Hi Pam,

Several years ago I took a mare and foal about 1500 miles from here in WY to south of Dallas myself in the back of my pickup with a very secure topper, like I have done for many many years. That way I can watch them the whole time and stop from time to time and the foal lay down and the mare also at night. It was just one night. We also let them out one time. The foal was just 3 weeks old but they did fine. My horses love to travel this way and by the time we get there they don't want to get out, as it has become their little stall or "home". :) Also they know me and can even see me. I can even open my cab window and the front topper window and talk to them. :)

Susan O.

Hi Pam,

Several years ago I took a mare and foal about 1500 miles from here in WY to south of Dallas myself in the back of my pickup with a very secure topper, like I have done for many many years. That way I can watch them the whole time and stop from time to time and the foal lay down and the mare also at night. It was just one night. We also let them out one time. The foal was just 3 weeks old but they did fine. My horses love to travel this way and by the time we get there they don't want to get out, as it has become their little stall or "home". :) Also they know me and can even see me. I can even open my cab window and the front topper window and talk to them. :)

Susan O.

Hi Susan,

That's a great idea! This buyer is from the Las Vegas, NV area. If she were closer, I wouldn't hesitate to haul them in our mini trailer ourselves. I always bed it deeply, and we stop often to check on them. It's good to know that even a 3-week old foal did great. We haul our mares with their newborn foals up to our vet clinic to check their IgG levels, and that's an hour drive each way. I've never had a problem with it. But I know a commercial hauler will be different. I'll be contacting the hauler after the foal is born. Thanks for sharing your experience!

Pam C.

I hauled a Week old filly and her dam in the back of my mini van 1500 miles with no negative effect ect. Of course i think i'd be more uncomfortable with it if it was with a prof. shipper. not that they DON'T take ca\re of the animals but you never know how close they pay attention to each individual. |I watched mine close for stress ect which who know's what someone else would do.

I hauled a Week old filly and her dam in the back of my mini van 1500 miles with no negative effect ect. Of course i think i'd be more uncomfortable with it if it was with a prof. shipper. not that they DON'T take ca\re of the animals but you never know how close they pay attention to each individual. |I watched mine close for stress ect which who know's what someone else would do.
Thanks for that information! I'm sure I'll feel better after talking with the shipper.

Pam C.

Hey Pam, who's going to Vegas? Did I forget? :DOH!

Melba
Hey Melba,

No, you didn't forget.
default_smile.png
It's Starr, the palomino appy. She's due July 2nd. I haven't got a contract signed just yet. Things have been a bit hectic around here with breeding and all. I'm still hoping to get over your way soon to see those babies!

Pam

Latest posts

Back