Shetlands X Miniatures?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brooke S.

Reaction score
What do you guys think of breeding Shetlands with Miniatures? I am leasing a 4 yr old black leopard appaloosa to breed with my mini mares, and was thinking about breeding my 40" shetland, who is palamino in winter and dappled grey in summer, with him for a 2015 foal. What are your opinions on this?

Thanks!

Just know that the offspring can't be registered in either the Shetland nor miniature registries, would only qualify for Show Pony (at least I think that's the division).

NSPPR (National Sport Performance Pony Registry)

Not a breeding registry, it's for show purposes only but its for what you are wanting, and it's in with the AMHR/ASPC organization. They do hold some classes at Congress. Mind you the NSPPR is not at all that popular yet. So unless its something that you would want to do then go for it, if your wanting to sell the resulting foal its going to be hard to do.

NSPPR (National Sport Performance Pony Registry)

Not a breeding registry, it's for show purposes only but its for what you are wanting, and it's in with the AMHR/ASPC organization. They do hold some classes at Congress. Mind you the NSPPR is not at all that popular yet. So unless its something that you would want to do then go for it, if your wanting to sell the resulting foal its going to be hard to do.

Thanks for the info everyone! I wasn't even planning on showing the resulting foal, although both parents have great conformation. I was planning on training him/her to drive along side mom and to ride (small children!!). Just for fun...I've never trained a mini to do either before.
default_smile.png
Actually, my Shetland mare isn't even registered, so I am not 100 % positive that she is a Shetland. But everyone, horse experts included, agrees that in every way she seems as though she is.

Thanks again!

Around here in the sale barns, all the small evil tempered little brats are Shetlands, the well mannered small ponies are called "Welch" ponies and if they are really really small, they are minis. Folks don't seem to understand that without a set of papers, all they are is grade ponies.

If the Shetland is also registered with AMHR, you can breed to an AMHR mini.

In the Shetland registry Appaloosa is not allowed

Im breeding a 32" shetland to a amha stallion. She is very dainty and not typical sheltand and is registered to miniature societies only so i can register the foal with the international miniature horse and pony society.

If your mare is good sized, you might find a good small Arabian stallion to breed her to, then your foal can be registered as a half-Arabian. I know some people breeding ponies to Arabs to get small Sport Horses. The Sport Horse division is hot right now. I think people want horses they can use, not just extreme halter horses!

I agree you need to know what you want the outcome to be. Mine is going to be for showing and driving, and i have picked the finest stallion i can (but i'm personally more into hunter type, so hope a draft x refined = hunter) my mare has produced good foals and her grandfoals are good too, so i'm hopeful.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back