Shetland VS Mini-Horse

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stano40

Reaction score
How do you determine the characteristics between a Shetland and a Mini-Horse. What makes each what they are in determining the breed?

Thanks

Shetland....basically comes with Shetland papers. When you say Shetland I think American Shetland, and they of course come in several types--Modern, modern pleasure, Classic, or Foundation.

Miniature--pretty much determined by size, 38" and under, especially since Miniatures come in so many types. They can be the Arab or welsh type, QH type, draft type; the old pit pony type still exists, and of course many of them are double registered as Shetlands and so look like Shetlands.

Anymore you really don't see much of a difference between a mini or a "classic" or "foundation" shetland. You are going to be able to see a difference with a modern however more and more 38" and under moderns are coming into AMHR. I guess your typical shetland will have more of an edge then your typical mini. A shetland has more presence to him, they are typically more hotter. A mini depending on personality a bit more laid back. I see a huge difference in temperment as far as my half shetland goes compared to my minis. She is a lot more hotter, a lot more flighty. She has come around a lot but its still there.

Now both replies have me thinking. I do know who the original owner is and both my mini's I took in were told to me as mini-horse's. I'm learning as fast as I can about them since I keep goats as well and its been interesting in seeing them both curious of each other.

But since having these girls, pictured in my avatar, I kept wondering about them because of their stocky build, temperament (skittish, because the way they've been roughly handled in the past) if that is now a learned trait or could they have some Shetland trait to them.

A recent visit to our home by a lady who also keeps mini's told me they were Shetland's. I did read that Shetland's were 38' in hieght and the two girls I have are below that measurment. Her reasoning was that they both had a broad face and big bellies.

My girls have put some weight on for the winter along with their winter coat and one of the girls came to me with a big belly. When the farrier was over he asked if she was pregnant. I told him no because that last owner asured me they were not bred.

I guess looking at their face, legs and shape I still have to wonder. That's the premise of my question and if I'm caring for them the right way.

Thanks,

I do not have the experience so many folks on the forum do, but the mini registries are predominantly height oriented - many other qualities come into play. Also, depending on the bloodlines and what an individual breeder is working toward, you will find a variety of shapes and types.

We had a Shetland (she passed away from old age), and now we have a few minis of varying ages, temperaments, and body types. DD is short, stocky, has a broader face than her stablemates, and is incredibly patient. Tiffany is taller, pinto, rather elegant, a bit on the more energetic side, and not as patient. The shetlands we have known over the years through friends and neighbors were never especially skittish - like the minis - all a bit different and many were very kind animals.

Most of our minis have bigger bellies now - as winter approaches they have access to round bales for quite a good part of the day. MN, like so many other places, gets seriously cold and they need the extra calories.

Your minis look awfully cute in your avatar and a big pat on the back to you for finding out all you can! If they were badly handled in the past, it may take awhile for them to overcome their fear and relax, but you may have a couple of real 'marshmallows' there - keep playing with them and enjoying them. They are lucky ponies to have found someone caring.

As to the pregnancy issue - is it even a remote possibility?

Good luck!

I do not have the experience so many folks on the forum do, but the mini registries are predominantly height oriented - many other qualities come into play. Also, depending on the bloodlines and what an individual breeder is working toward, you will find a variety of shapes and types.

We had a Shetland (she passed away from old age), and now we have a few minis of varying ages, temperaments, and body types. DD is short, stocky, has a broader face than her stablemates, and is incredibly patient. Tiffany is taller, pinto, rather elegant, a bit on the more energetic side, and not as patient. The shetlands we have known over the years through friends and neighbors were never especially skittish - like the minis - all a bit different and many were very kind animals.

Most of our minis have bigger bellies now - as winter approaches they have access to round bales for quite a good part of the day. MN, like so many other places, gets seriously cold and they need the extra calories.

Your minis look awfully cute in your avatar and a big pat on the back to you for finding out all you can! If they were badly handled in the past, it may take awhile for them to overcome their fear and relax, but you may have a couple of real 'marshmallows' there - keep playing with them and enjoying them. They are lucky ponies to have found someone caring.

As to the pregnancy issue - is it even a remote possibility?

Good luck!
The pregnancy is an extreme long shot. From the person we got them from says no, but a few house's down there is another mini or Shetland. It's a complete unknown. When we picked them up we were told they were only 5 and 3 years old only to find out the true ages are 12-15 years old for the mother and 5 years old for the daughter. The original breeder was the damaging factor in their lives having them tackled down by 3-5 guys to trim the hooves, unbeliveable.

bob

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh my goodness. The poor things must have been pretty frightened by the farrier experience. As far as their age goes, even though they are older than represented, they have many years ahead of them, barring illness or accident.

Ponies in general seem to be pretty long-lived and finding them hale and hearty in their 30's is not uncommon.

It sounds like your ponies are this year's winter project
default_yes.gif
!

If you have any specific feeding or other questions on the care of your new herd, you will find a ton of great advice from a lot of very experienced horse people! I have taken advantage of their expertise myself and it is much appreciated!

What a weird way to describe a breed! Good on one hand - "Broad face" - every horseman with every breed wants a broad face on their horse. The more width between the eyes - the more the horse can see and the more thinking ability he has. Bad on the other - "big bellies" - connotes medical or feeding issues to me - not a breed description...

We currently own quite a number of Shetland ponies. Generally all fall w/i one or two "types" - the Foundation and the Classic. BUT if you go thru the pictures of our ponies, you will see that even w/i those types - there is quite a bit of variance in look. Partially because I was/am putting a group together to get different thing brought into my program for the future and partially because I like different things in each pony w/i the parameters of the breed type description. ALSO - several are considered over height due to being over 42" (for showing rules) and others qualify by size alone as mini horses (AND some their have AMHR papers).

AS to ages - I seem to specialize in getting older, unhandled or barely handled ponies and horses and training them to do something or broadening what they do. The mares that I've bred - the foals get handled right alongside the mares as the mares go thru training - to include driving. My first pair were 18 & 19 yrs old in 2010 when they were started in harness. One wasn't even officially "halter broke" - she was a pet that could be haltered and petted/vetted/farrier but she knew nothing else. Didn't really lead, etc. NOW - both of those mares drive single, pair, 3 abreast and 4 abreast pulling carts, wagons and various farm implements - both ground driven and from vehicles. It will be a sad day when neither of these mares can "work" anymore! I do have younger ponies, too, but always have a couple of older ones around as well. Eventually, everyone has a job - whether it be riding or driving - not just producing babies. And when it's time, we say good bye and Thank You to our older horses and ponies.

As to personalities - they are as individual as you and me! IF you have a brother/sister - do you and he/she have the same personality and tastes/likes/dislikes/wants? Probably not, though I do know that twins have been found to be VERY SIMILAR. Even w/i family lines there is a lot of difference in ponies!! Though there are also similarities as well. (I have one line that is terrible about having their ears/heads handled. It doesn't matter what/how you handle them and it doesn't matter that we've handled the foals from birth and spent LOTS of TIME handling their heads and ears). My close friends can figure out who the dam of certain ponies are simply by that! You can't judge any breed by how hot or quiet they are - there are individuals in each that defy those descriptions plus handling/training and feeding programs also affect personalities - sometimes a lot, sometimes not so much. Ponies and MH can be affected by feed faster than larger horses can. You can make them "hot" and you can "calm" them down - just by switching your feeding programs around. Any horse that is in poor condition will be low key, quiet and seem to be "trained" even if they aren't. Bring them into condition and they will change - in some cases - become completely the opposite... Lack of supplements - key elements for their bodies - can completely change personalities. A horse that is jumpy, flighty or irritable can be that way due to lack of needed feed/supplement/mineral/vitamin or lack of handling/training (or wrong handling/training) or sight issues or simply that is their personality.

Your two mares have long lives ahead of them if they are medically sound. Even w/ medical issues - most can be managed to a "ripe", old age! It's great that you are learning everything you can. Keep on a'learnin' - that's what keeps everyone young.

Do you have current updated pics of your mares? I love PINTOS!!! MY favs!

Back