shetland types ???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
default_aktion033.gif
Congratulations on one of the most informative posts I've seen in several months. Not even one flame in here either. Thank you all and keep it coming.

I recently "got into" the Shetlands and I'm finding them as fascinating as I did/do the miniatures although showing them has proven to be another story.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you everyone with all this very helpful info. I can see some differences in most of the shetlands in types and some not to well but the discriptions help as well also. I did'nt realize how different they can look from one shetland to another when it comes to build, style, shape, and movement so that dose answer my question as far as how they differ from types like minis.

Also the pic examples from pastures-showrings helps as well when looking at them too. Some look so big and some small. I did notice a 34" shetland (I think) at a local show not to long ago and he is really small but looks shetlend in the way he stands and prances. He wins almost every show he goes in and is a really nice looking boy.

I just figured that even tho Im not interested in owning shetlands, they are very interesting to learn about and because they are growing in popularity, and I have NO ideal about them. Now I can look at them at shows and pick out what is what and start watching/learning more about them now that I have a somewhat ideal about them and what to look for.
default_smile.png

Thank you for the help/info and keep it coming!

I think part of the confusion is there is a lot of "tweener" ponies out there. Some might be a bit heavy boned for a Classic but have gotten a bit to tall for Foundation. Some might be a bit extreme for a classic but do not have the movement to be a Mod Pleasure with the Shetlands being judged a lot on movement it does change things up a bit. Sometimes you have to take your chances in a division and see how that particular judge feels

Latest posts

Back