shetland types ???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MindyLee

Reaction score
So I know that they have mini horses in different types of body styles from draft-arab. I dont know anything about shetlands except that I dont own any or really took a good look at them.

I do farrier work for most of the local farms around my area for minis and ponies. Today I did 2 shetlend ponies for the 1st time and much to my surprise I really liked the stallion I trimmed. Now I trim ponies and minis BUT never did a fancy looking shetland that looked like he did. These 2 where a father son pair and the owner said that before his injury (he had broken his leg) he was shown and bred like crazy by prevoius owner, but was'nt much reconized at that time in his life. His now current owner just has them as pets and dont know much about breeding, minis, shetlends, shows, and so on... BUT I defently did say how this type on shetlend looks was starting to become pretty popular again in the mini equine world. She said all she knows is that hes a "modern" and has papers on him some where.

Now, for a old fellow like him which really hes only around 12-13 yrs old looks REALLY good and in shape for just hanging out in a pasture with his son (a gelding) and 30 goats. I personally really think he is a piece of eye candy where I could have watched him all day long and just think he was such a neat looking horse with a great attitude as well. Now he has a nice slender body with a long hooky neck and looks to be about 40 inchs tall.

I was wondering cause with all the different body types in minis, do they as well with shetlands too?

I mean what I have noticed with shetlands is a straight faces with really no dish like minis have like the boy I saw today. I think with a dished head he would be totally perfect in my opinion. Do they have stockier types and araby types like minis? And what is the most popular types when it comes to shetlands?

Would love to see examples of types since I dont know
smile.gif

THANKS!

Last edited by a moderator:
Many of the Shetlands you see today have been crossed with Hackneys. Thus, sacrificing the "pony" head for the Hackney type head. There are however, different Shetland types. I'll let someone that is better versed in this to elaborate.

Remember, minis came from Shetlands. I am fortunate to have "minis" that have retained their Shetland papers. They are mini in size AND Shetland. Many people threw the Shetland papers away when they decided to start marketing the small Shetlands as "minis". You can read all about this on several websites. The one that comes to my mind at the moment is Tony Greaves - Little America website.

its a shame you did'nt take some pics, Im very interested in finding out more about the american shetlands too , do they ever come in under 34" ?

The American Shetland comes in 4 types (Foundation, Classic, Modern Pleasure, and Modern) and can be up to 46" tall. There is a division called the American Show Pony Registry that registers shetlands up to 48" tall. And yes, there are some that are under 34"!!

Here are some examples:

Foundation:

designbfw.jpg

Classic:

texaco509rightbfw.jpg

Modern Pleasure:

BarZsGreatBallsOfFireNov09ShowEditedbfw.jpg

I don't own any straight Moderns so don't have any pics to share, but Jason Prince of Excaliber Training just had an awesome Congress with his string of Moderns.

There is a wide variety of Shetland types!

The FOUNDATION Shetland is what the miniature horse was mostly founded on. They have more bone and substance to them. They also have a slightly smaller allowed height (42" at the wither instead of up to 46" like the other Shetland types). They are shown the most "natural" in regards to clipping and usually never wear shoes for showing.

The CLASSIC Shetland is a lot more refined, and keeps that pretty, dishy head. Their classic beauty is what makes them extremely popular.

Most miniature horses that are also registered Shetlands are either Foundation or Classic shetlands. I'd say 99% of them.

The MODERN PLEASURE Shetland often has some Hackney bloodlines. The hackney bloodlines is usually what newbies blame the "plain heads" on, but some hackneys do have very pretty heads as well as some Modern Pleasure shetlands do, too! The Modern Pleasure falls between the Classic and the Modern Shetland. They often wear shoes, although the shoes are not extreme. They should have a lot of flashy action and a very upright neck.

The MODERN Shetland is the most extreme, and are modeled after the hackney ponies.

Sometimes ponies are borderline between the types.

Here is my boy, he is a Modern/ Modern Pleasure depending on how he is shod and such. He doesn't have a dishy head, but it's not large or roman nosed or anything
default_smile.png

QuakeWebMar2010halter.jpg

Here he is a month or two ago in Liberty class, so you can see how the Modern Shetlands move:

Some Modern/modern Pleasure shetlands move bigger than my guy, and some less. He's kind of in-between. He has a short foot but is shod in front with pads and unweighted shoes.

Andrea

My Foundation Shetland Feature :)Heavier boned than a classic shetland and no extremes in type or movment

confoshot-385x249.jpg

His Foundation daughter Meadow

meadowncongress-566x459.jpg

Example of a Foundation sealed stallion that is Classic in type, so while Black has the foundation seal I would never show him foundation. This is typical of many ASPC/AMHR ponies.

blackatnationslCrop-366x223.jpg

My Modern Pleasure that does have a Hackney in her background. More extreme in both body type and movement

patchesshow-214x151-285x202.jpg

I actually have recently sold all of my miniatures and have changed my program around to focus on ASPC American Shetlands. Here are a couple examples of my ponies...

Foundation Gelding 39" Shetland / 37.5" AMHR Inspected...

31995_1361998125010_1083294008_30942271_4215344_n.jpg

Classic Mare - 45" tall..

4640_1105517353151_1083294008_30331.jpg

Classic Gelding - 42" tall..

Sucresitefront.jpg

Classic Stallion (yearling) - 40" tall..

zzzzewer.jpg

Weanling Congress Champion, Res Jr Grand Champion, Ohio World Champion..

asdf.jpg

I really love the classics. What is thier movement style? The modern movement is very interesting but just a bit too elaborate for my tastes. I like action but not extreme.

Then a couple broodmares...

Michigans Ray Of Hope -- Modern/Modern Pleasure Mare (she has what some would call a "hackney head", that I personally can find attractive but if your eye is drawn to exotic arabian heads with a lot of dish and a muzzle that will fit in the palm of your hand, then you wouldn't find it attractive).

6645.jpg

77545.jpg

Single G's Cherokee Maiden - Classic type, however she is foundation sealed. Really extreme in the neck and body to be considered foundation type, however, her breeding makes her foundation sealed.

36664_10150197199655455_38679743545.jpg

Wauk A Way Kitty - Classic type, however foundation sealed....same thing...breeding makes her foundation sealed however I consider her classic type.

36664_10150197199650455_38679743545.jpg

Keekee.jpg

Wa-Full Benita AMHR/ASPC -- Foundation...

9-33.jpg

Mindy,

Like you after being in mini's since 1982 about 4 years ago we saw and fell in love with a portion of the Shetlands. Personally we love pretty heads and very refined bodies. So we gravitated to the classics and the foundation Shetlands. Being halter people we were not as concerned in movement at the time, so no modern or modern pleasures yet. LOL.
default_new_shocked.gif

Now we own 9 Shetlands and are enjoying them as much as we do our mini's (which we will always have). We have found them to be tractable, eager to please and a joy to work with. The grandkids love them to pieces!
default_yes.gif

Most of our herd is registered AMHA/AMHR and now we are adding some ASPC only registered horses to our herd. Why you may ask, just because we like to look and work with them. They are a lot of fun and to us any pretty, yet small equine is welcome here on our farm.
default_wub.png

Don't make the mistake of getting one though they are just as habit forming as the mini's are. Also one other thing these American Shetlands are sure not what my idea of a shetland from back 30 years ago were, small dumpy and with a bad attitude, they are a whole new horse unto themsleves. LOL
default_wink.png

The American Shetland comes in 4 types (Foundation, Classic, Modern Pleasure, and Modern) and can be up to 46" tall. There is a division called the American Show Pony Registry that registers shetlands up to 48" tall. And yes, there are some that are under 34"!!

Here are some examples:

Foundation:

designbfw.jpg

Classic:

texaco509rightbfw.jpg

Modern Pleasure:

BarZsGreatBallsOfFireNov09ShowEditedbfw.jpg

I don't own any straight Moderns so don't have any pics to share, but Jason Prince of Excaliber Training just had an awesome Congress with his string of Moderns.
OK, I am not seeing the differance between the foundation and Classic. Could someone point out the differance for a dummy in Shetlands?

The Foundations and Classics are pretty close in looks which is why we have both. We like that style horse.

The foundation is a generational thing(minimum 4 generations of registered shetlands) coupled with a tad bit less refinement and movement. they also have to be under 42 inches measured to the top of the withers.

The classics are more refined, have a lot more movement than the foundation stock in most cases and look more like a little arabian type horse. No generational requirements other than from registered shetland parents. they go up to 46" with the subsequent break downs in size under that.

A horse that is foundation though can show in the classic division if they are too tall or if they have too much movement for the foundation class in the owners opinion or if the owner just wants them to. Classics that do not have the foundation seal cannot show in the foundation division.

When you watch a show it is pretty clear what the differences are and I suggest you go to one. You will also enjoy the high powered moderns in the driving classes etc I bet. I know I do and we do not own any!!!

Hope that helps!

My Foundation Shetland Feature :)Heavier boned than a classic shetland and no extremes in type or movment

confoshot-385x249.jpg

I absolutely "LOVE" this horse. He is amazing. I assume since he is a "foundation" that he is ASPC only....is that correct....or can a foundation shetland also be AMHR. I have lots of questions too about the shetlands.....I am quite intrigued with them. Congratulations KayKay on owning this beautiful boy.....!!!
wub.gif

We are probably going to get in trouble for all this Shetland talk here on the mini page, but then again we are all mini people so what the heck.
default_wink.png

To answer your question, yes foundation Shetlands or any of the other types can also be an AMHR or AMHA horse as long as they meet the size requirements of the registry which is 38" or less from the last mane hair for AMHR or 34" or less for AMHA.
default_new_shocked.gif

We own several that are AMHR/AMHA and ASPC registered. One is a little 33 1/2" mare. The picture you see in my avatar is also a AMHR/ASPC registered horse that has been 2 times National and 2 time Congress champion in the last couple of years for us in the under division of ASPC. He was also the AMHR Allstar Champion Jr stallion and reserve Grand Champion stallion over all last year. He will be going for his third time at AMHR Nationals here in a few weeks. His name is Rhapsody's Majestic Reign, but we just call him Majic. LOL
default_wub.png

John...thanks for always being so willing to share your knowledge with us. That is so very helpful. Yes...we are all lovers of small equine...that's for sure....why else would we be on a forum at almost midnight typing away about them....LOL I feel like I have learned a lot from these topics. I still have a gazillion miles to go in learning when it comes to the ponies.....but hey...ya gotta start somewhere. I am also thinking it is the classics and foundations that I am drawn to, but must admit that the movement of the modern is mesmerizing...I know it is extreme....but it is beautiful. That is truly a beautiful horse in your avatar. Thanks again for all of your insight.
smile.gif

You should have heard all the questions I had a couple of years ago. LOL I still have to go ask about show rules etc. on a regular basis. I lost a Champion of Champions shot at Tunica, because of a silly rule about cross showing. But that is another story. Feel free to PM or email if I can be of help. and yes it is midnight isn't it and I have to work tomorrow. UGGGHH!

To keep this miniature-horse-related:

A Foundation Shetland CAN be a miniature horse. In fact, I'd bet a LOT of miniature Shetlands are Foundations! They tend to have more substance to them and less extreme motion, plus a smaller height. Their backgrounds have less-to-no outside breeding like Hackney.

Some miniature horses are VERY extreme, and if they are Shetland registered also, would show as a Classic.

Andrea

I really love the classics. What is thier movement style? The modern movement is very interesting but just a bit too elaborate for my tastes. I like action but not extreme.
Most Classics have AMHR Country Pleasure driving movement or can have Pleasure driving movement too. I have seen both, it simply depends on the horse. If you do not know these terms, they are a long flowing stride that covers a lot of ground. This movement does not break above level and truly have similar movement to most "plain" minis. I have also seen some with a Western style movement, as movement is based on conformation, and of course not all horses are created equal.
default_smile.png

A Modern type has much more movement and is very rare in the minis. It has a very high trot and a high head set. This is not the "norm" for a mini shetland and there is only a handful out there.

And to do a real simple explanation on the four types of Shetlands:

Foundation: Draft or maybe rather a Warmblood/Hanoverian

Classic: Throughbred

Modern Pleasure: Standardbred

Modern: Hackney or American Saddlebred

This is just to help give a visual.

AMHR/ASPC horses are no different in my eyes, then many other AMHR horses. Each horse has their conformational faults but each can be beautiful. To me, a good horse is a good horse. Period.

Coming from a proud herd of AMHR only show horses. For now anyways.
default_aktion033.gif

Thank you so much Sherri! He is my dream Shetland and owns me LOL. Yes Feature is ASPC registered with the foundation seal. Depending on what mare I breed him to he produces Foundation and Classic.

It is hard if you are not used to Shetland types. What makes it more confusing is that Shetlands show by type not by papers. So many Shetlands that have the Foundation seal are not foundation type. This is very true for a lot of the ASPC/AMHR horses.

So if you look at Black verses Feature you can see they are 2 totally different "types" even though they are both registered Foundation Shetlands. Black is finer boned etc. Foundations tend to have shorter necks, heavier bones etc.

Here are some of our ASPC/AMHR girls

Promise ASPC/AMHR Foundation seal but NOT foundation type

promiseheadneckjodi-355x278.jpg

Tease ASPC/AMHR would show classic if shown as a pony but shows as mini

teaseneckfrench-360x283.jpg

Tom our newest ASPC/AMHR foal

tomgood3-367x342.jpg

Here are some pics of ASPC/AMHR shetlands that all have their foundation seal and are owned by Delores Festervan, a longstanding client of my barn.

dillonnationals08bfw.jpg

McCarthy's Marshall Dillon - AMHR HOF and Foundation HOF

cody2010areavbfw.jpg

McCarthy's Wild Bill Cody - working towards his double HOFs

pearl2010bfw.jpg

FW Rojo Golden Pearl - working towards her AMHR HOF

Latest posts

Back