Shetland paddock

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilly the pony girl

Reaction score
Hey, I live on a small farm. I have dogs,chickens,rabbits, and I am looking to get a Shetland. I was wondering if a paddock/pasture that was 40 by 20 is big enough.

Hi Lilly the pony Girl, Welcome to the forum.

To answer your question, yes, it would probably be big enough. BUT...... horses are herd animals & do best with a pasture mate.

Overgrazing an area/pasture will leave you nothing but weeds. Therefore increasing your feeding bill etc.

Thanks, and just so you know the Shetland will have a play mate. As I said we have dogs cats rabbits but we are also looking to get goats to help give milk. And price isn't really an issue because I'm willing to get the pony the best care that is NEEDED.

Thats fantastic your willing to give the pony the best care needed. What I meant re "Pasture mate" wasn't a dog, cat or a rabbit . A shetland pony would cause serious injury to something that small.

One of my shetlands gets on well with the sheep next door , maybe yours will get on well with your goat.

Yeah, I understand with the smaller animals. But do you think goats would get along? (And ps: our dogs are MASSIVE.)

Until you get one you wont really know. My cousin has horses and she also has, goats, sheep and a massive pig. They all roam her farm walking in and out of the horses paddocks. There is only one horse on her property that is scared of the goat, the rest are fine with him. When your looking for your shetland, when making inquiries , just ask what other animals they have been exposed too.

Good luck on finding the right one and dont forget to keep us posted :) We love Pictures on this forum !!

Yes, be sure to check. One of my minis hates goats. Another one doesn't like dogs.
I heard of someone who kept a goat in with her horses and they got along great but the goat chewed their tails!

My trainer is from the UK and worked with racing horses when he was younger and said they used goats to travel with the horses to keep them calm.

Okay, I will definitely make sure to check. Is it normally the goat that picks on the pony or vice versa?

Latest posts

Back