Shetland in-hand tack

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funnyfarmnorth

Reaction score
I showed Shetland stallions and mares as a kid and I recently purchased a Shetland gelding to show at open shows. What is the correct tack to show a gelding in-hand in? I know the stallions show in stallion tack,saddle,side reins and bridle, and mares and babies show in a halter with brow band(or they did 35 yrs ago). I have seen pictures with mini/arab type halters but was wondering what is the preferred type today? Pictures would be great. Thanks. Donna

Being as it is a open circuit show not a breed show I think you need to see what is appropriate for that show and how many other ponies will be showing and if they will be in stock type tack or if you will be in a class with pleasure type of horses?

The shows I show at are a series of 4 and rules say show in tack appropriate for breed. They only have two halter classes in the pleasure division:eek:pen pony and open horse. I'm going to be buying something new as everything I have is mini size. I just figured I'd buy whats correct in case there is ever a "shetland class" in this area. Thanks. Donna

Is your gelding a Classic or a Modern, or a Modern Pleasure? The types of tack can vary between the classifications.

When I showed my Modern Pleasure stallion at local shows, I showed in the same tack I would show in breed shows (mare bridle with weymouth bit and braided mane/forelock).

If your guy is a Foundation or Classic, you can show in the arab-style halter, no ribbons in the hair.

Andrea

If a gelding:

Foundation and Classic - cable halter

Modern Pleasure - Mare Bridle only or Cable Halter

Modern - Mare Bridle only

ASPR - Mare Bridle only

Thanks, He's a mini that I rescued 10 yrs ago as a rank,abused stallion. With a lot of patience he came around and we have had fun/sucess showing him in halter and performance at the local level. I have his 7 yr old daughter that looks just like him only more feminine.

Latest posts

Back