She's waxing, but is it too early??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DancinWithDiamonds

Reaction score
According to my breeding dates, Diamond is somewhere between day 303 and 317 days. Last year she had her foal in March at 329 days. I worry that it is too early since she held to 329 last year (although is was a VERY tight squeeze). She's been waxing on and off for a week (had was in the pm, but not in am) but has had obvious wax for the last 24 hrs. She tests 6.8 pH, and her milk is yellowy, and gets thicker and thicker and really sticky. Here are some pictures of her. She is miserable today, not really wanting to walk much outside, picks at the hay. I supposed it is possible that I miscalculated my dates. My vet isn't too worried, since she in convinced that I messed up my dates, because Diamond is SO big. Would appreciate any input....should I insist on medical intervention??

Her udder this afternoon

f2ab8e13.jpg

Another shot of her udder

f2ab8e07.jpg

A side view with her gelding buddy in the background

f2ab8dfb.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Not to worry. I've known many a mini to foal at 300 days and everything is fine. I had a mare that went 337 last year and 311 this year. Your mare looks very close and I would certainly be watching her like a hawk. She should be fine and baby too! Good luck and keep us posted!

I wouldn't be too concerned since she's past 300 days. She looks ready to foal to me! Keep us posted.

I'd say....not to worry too. She's past that 300 day mark, as Becky stated. She sounds very close, so I wouldn't go off on any all day trips, if I were you.
wink.gif

MA

My mare gave me a beautiful healthy filly this year at 311 days. The mare's previous owner had warned me she likes to go early. Your mare looks like she's ready to go!

Not to alarm you, I just want to mention a couple things..............

1.) I had a mare last year that waxed on and off for 13 days. She had the foal at 323 days and it was stillborn. Vet determined that the placenta had started detaching a few days before birth and the foal was slowly suffocated. It is thought that some type of infection caused the premature placental detachment.

The vet said had he known she had been waxing for that long he would have done an ultrasound and palpation and more than likely put the mare on antibiotics and this could possibly have been prevented.

In the future, if any of my mares wax for more than 48 hours, I'm having the vet out for an exam.

Now........that being said I know dozens on this forum have had mares wax even longer than 13 days and the foals were born without problems.

2.) I start watching my mares at 300 days, as they should be safe to foal at 300 days. However, my only foal this year was born at 314 days and WAS premature. She had every classic sign of being premature. So they aren't all ready to be born at 300 days.

If this was my mare I would have the vet out to check her over. But I am a worry wort by nature.
yes.gif

Good Luck
smile.gif

Latest posts

Back