Shes not eating her grain?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jess P

Reaction score
Its Chantilly again, the weirdest horse ever
wacko.gif
. This past week we have noticed that Chantilly has not been eating her grain. She eats her hay and her pasture, but she has been leaving her grain in her bucket? She gets fed a cup of trotter, and usually flax seed but we do not have it right now.

There are no signs of sickness, normal temperature, no leg problems (cancelling out Founder which she had a mild case of in April), and no abnormal problems.

Any idea?

Last edited by a moderator:
When I added Flax seed to mine there were 2 that would not eat it. Put in only her feed and see if she eats it. If so forget the flax, it isn't necessary. You can try sunflower seed (BOSS) or my favorite Blue Seal Sunshine Plus. Lots of good stuff for coats and healthy bodies. 1/2c daily.

Its the opposite. We have no flax seed in the grain because we ran out. She isn't eating her plain grain.

It could be the heat.

She could be too filled up on grass.

Your grain may have become stale, sour, or bad in some other way.

If my horses do not eat, it's a red flag and usually means trouble.

I have a yearling stud colt that is sssooo darn picky. One day he will scarf down two cups of grain and the next turn his nose up at it. For a while he was so darn skinny that I thought he would fall over dead any minute. Then I started to excercise him--just a little at first--but made him move some and then put him out to play with an active buddy. I also made sure he had plenty of clean water and good hay the whole time and he loved his hay. He soon was eating daily and gaining weight. I also need to clean out any old feed that he doesn't eat cause leaving it in will cause him to turn away. I now have him in my routine excercise group and he is looking better every day. Hope to geld him this fall and maybe he will fill out even more when he settles down and doesn't dance for the ladies so much. Might even show him next year. Sorry--started rattling. I have an idea she may just be missing the flax seed. Some are really funny about any little change.

smile.gif

Try a little sweet feed instead. I don't feed trotter as the feed is not consistent.

I used to but over the years I have found other feeds to be much better. Mine will

upon occasion go off for a day or two and I'll give them something a little

different to see if it's the feed. Linda B

Linda,

What kind of sweetfeed would you suggest? Omalene?

She may just be sick of the pellets.

Thanks

Latest posts

Back