Shes LIMPING BAD!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mini~Lover

Reaction score
About 2 weeks ago I came hope from vacation and my mini had a really bad limp. Its her front left leg. Ive been keeping her in her stall, and letting her out to strech her legs once a day. I got her a stall snack today so shes not too board. Do thses lets problem usually heal themself? I have not clue what she might have done to get this way. Also, she grew her winter coat in really fast and its kind of dull and no pretty at all. Her eyes are kind of runny too. Are these symtoms related in anyway? Its really strange. she doesnt look like herself anymore. I have a vet comming out on Friday morning. ANything else I can do in the mean time? Im REALLY scared shes not going to get better!!! any advice? THANKS MUCH!

Katie

Sounds like something is up and she just feels awful. Good that the vet is coming, in the mean time if she looks worse between now and when he is scheduled to arrive insist he/she comes sooner.

I'd keep a close eye on her until the vet can see her. Make sure she's eating, drinking, pooping and peeing. I would also take her temperature. Is her leg swelled up?

yeah, she is pooping, peeing, eating, and drinking fine. our farrier didnt notice any swelling anywhere and couldnt figure out what was wrong. there is nothing that he(he is very experienced with horses) or anyone could see. could it be some bruised tendon or something? even when the farrier brought his hoof tester, he couldnt find anything. when he pressed on her leg she didnt do anything. any ideas?

No clue at this end. Just glad you have the vet coming. After 2 weeks, a minor problem should be clearing up by now.

MA

It could be a tendon but there should be some swelling or pain on palpation of the leg. It could also be an injury to the coffin bone (even a fracture) or other structure within the foot. If she was negative to hoof testers it likely isn't an abscess (which would be the simplest explanation) and therefore could be serious. It should be seen by a vet. In the meantime keep her in the stall. Letting her out to "stretch her legs" could make some injuries worse.

Let us know what happens Friday.

Michelle Courtemanche DVM

You never know, just keep her comfortable.

I had a full size arabian cross, she had seasonal asthma, and was treated for the last few years. The night before the vet came out she developed a serious limp. I gave her some bute and loved her up. The next morning she was down. We had no clue, she had malignent melanoma, there were really no outward signs, but when the vet did a rectal exam, he said she had large cists through her digestive track. I had her since she was a year old, she had never been bred , never had a reason to have her palpated, had been seen by a vet over the years for the general horse things that happened, but was always an easy keeper.

She was suffering and I could not stand to see her like, it was time for my precious chlidhood companion, and now lifelong friend to rest.

The limp was from a cist that was on her rectal wall and had grown downward into her leg muscle.

Malignent melanomia is common with grey horses, but not specific to just them, and yes, it can affect minis too.

I believe you are doing the right thing having the vet come out, and I hope it is just a twisted muscle, or something even less critical, but keep a close eye on her, and most of all love em while they are here, they are a gift from above.

Promise

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back