Sheer Lunacy if this is true !!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jean_B

MHT Supporter
MHT Supporter
Reaction score
Now mind you ... I don't know if this is true / substantiated.... but if it is.... it is incredibly DUMB and is an agenda being pushed by what I (in my opinion!!) would consider to be some self-serving individuals with some deep pockets to finance a lobby effort.....

This is a quote from someone (who shall remain nameless) that I received in a PM in a somewhat heated debate on another semi-related issue:

Last I heard FL was leading the push to ban them nationally to include farriers. Although I do think there should be more regulation on farriers as they have done a lot of harm to horses in general with little recourse on the part of the horse owner when it does go horribly wrong. The few months some of them spend learning their craft through a school in order to hang out their shingle as a farrier is pitifully inadequate IMO.

ENDQUOTE

Does anyone here want to spend upwards of $100 for a hoof trim?!? Good grief. Don't like your farrier...get a different one.

Ahhhh...... next will be legislation on whether or not I can blink my eyes more than 15 times in a minute. Oh wait....maybe some ophthalmologists have already introduced legislation on that one. :new_shocked:

Several years ago in our state there was a push for vets to regulate farriers and I can tell you THAT didn't last long and died a dismal death. Linda B

Not only is it lunacy but this would be impossible to enforce and in the end would only mean more and more inexperienced owners would likely try to do their own horses feet which could spell trouble for many horses.

Last edited by a moderator:
If there's trouble anywhere, it'd be with equine dentists. Now there's a spot where no training is given at all, unless the person sought it him/herself.

I would think word of mouth would make or break a dentist or farrier pretty quickly.
Whoa! The dentists I have worked with have had approximately ONE THOUSAND percent more training time in equine dentistry than any vet I know of !! Will never let a vet work on my horses' mouths. Period. Especially after 3 so-called equine vets looked at a friend's horse and said he was fine...and that horse darn near killed their daughter in a run-away because of the pain he was in due to the raw hamburger in his mouth. Unless a vet can certify to me that he/she has had more than just a couple of hours of training in dentistry (the STANDARD in most vet schools), they will not see the inside of my horse's mouth.

Well there are bad vets just like there are bad farriers. Having a vet present doesn't guarantee a better outcome, just a larger bill.

Goodness! I must say that I sure don't want to, nor could pay farrier visits of 100 per horse! We have been blessed with a great farrier, which travels 50 miles one way to come and do our minis, and NEVER asks for gas money, even though we offer! I sure wouldn't want to have to take the gas money out of his pocket, just to get the vet out to oversee!

Unfortunately, equine dentists (who are not vets) are unlawful in Arkansas. In order for it to be legal, a vet has to be present.
default_wacko.png
: (Stupid, if you ask me!) I have been told this by several vets and an equine dentist who still does dentistry here. So far no one has pushed it. Also unlawful in OK. Every year I hold my breath at Nationals! We just all keep our mouths shut and hope for the best.

Pam

Well Jean, I tracked down the latest on the outcome of what I heard was transpiring a while back in FL http://www.faaor.org/ . Seems like they were able to squash it before it took hold but it's out there looming and has been for a long time. Eventually though someone may be successful with this type of lobbying and then yes, unfortunately we will be paying huge amounts for things like hoof care.

And Jean I don't have to remain nameless. I didn't consider the debate heated. Sorry if you took it that way. Just a difference of opinion in that you prefer to use an equine dentist and didn't think it was illegal for them to perform services without veterinary guidance, which apparently it is in your area too referencing a post in this thread. I said I was fortunate to have vets available who do have extensive training in dentistry and that I chose to have a licenced practicioner rather than a lay person work on my horses. If you consider that heated I'm frankly amazed. Can no one disagree with you without it being a big deal?

ETA... and it's not about you breaking the law, only them. You could even choose to have your manicurist float your horse's teeth if you wanted.

Now mind you ... I don't know if this is true / substantiated.... but if it is.... it is incredibly DUMB and is an agenda being pushed by what I (in my opinion!!) would consider to be some self-serving individuals with some deep pockets to finance a lobby effort.....

This is a quote from someone (who shall remain nameless) that I received in a PM in a somewhat heated debate on another semi-related issue:

Last I heard FL was leading the push to ban them nationally to include farriers. Although I do think there should be more regulation on farriers as they have done a lot of harm to horses in general with little recourse on the part of the horse owner when it does go horribly wrong. The few months some of them spend learning their craft through a school in order to hang out their shingle as a farrier is pitifully inadequate IMO.

ENDQUOTE

Does anyone here want to spend upwards of $100 for a hoof trim?!? Good grief. Don't like your farrier...get a different one.

Ahhhh...... next will be legislation on whether or not I can blink my eyes more than 15 times in a minute. Oh wait....maybe some ophthalmologists have already introduced legislation on that one. :new_shocked:

Last edited:
Yes, I heard about it from someone I know in FL back when they tried to push that through. Just like other bills where it would make it almost impossible to own horses.

That is ridiculous, but there are always people with agendas out there and unfortunately they don't benefit many of us. I can't see what a vet overseeing a farrier is going to do, as most vets can't do adequate hoof work.

My farrier is licensed and hadn't done many minis before he started here, but he's a pro now (60 minis every 8 weeks), plus he does a few other friends too. He did have a thorough background on trimming full size - I have to share this at a seminar today, the vet referred to the large horses as oversized! I like it versus minis!

Anyway, as to dentist's being licensed or lay person. There are many lay people with much more practical experience than licenses vets. We had a talk today at a Miniature Horse Symposium with one speaker being an Equine Dentist. He even said a vet checking their teeth versus actually working on them is completely different. He recommended annual checks on ALL horses and semi annual or as needed for problems.

I would be happy to have a qualified (aka experienced) layperson over a vet that has a few horses of practical experience. I live close to UC Davis and get lots of different vets and pending vets out here for different things. It is amazing among them the variety of abilities and knowledge. Some are great and some leave lots to be desired!

I think it stemmed from farriers diagnosing navicular and prescribing shoes, or diagnosing some other foot problems and prescribing this or that for the horse. I have seen this happen myself, so I know it happens, I think it was it was trying to squash. I saw less of it after this uprising even though it was squashed.

Vet only dentists is also in TN, and NC.

Karen

Well we have a dental only school here in ID and I can tell you I know of a few horses who died there mostly due to meds being given in wrong doses ect.

I trust my vet with my horse, I trust my vet to explain to me what he feels comfortable with and what he doesnt, I trust him to find out more info on something if he is unsure. So I have no problem trusting him with my horses teeth

Much more then I do someone who is just a dentist ..going to dental school doesnt mean you know much or are good just like going to vet school doesnt mean you know much or are good.. there are good and bad in both if you find one that is good consider yourself lucky and do what you can to hold on to them

In my experience, I've found that vets tend to be money happy. Don't get me wrong, there are good ones out there. But they charge huge amounts for the smallest things.

I agree with Justagirl, if they start requiring something like this, people will start doing it themselves and I've seen so many hooves messed up that way. Luckily, my father used to be a farrier, so we get it done for free (when we get him to do it).

I also have to say that for me, experience outdoes training. Look at it this way, at somepoint someone had to figure it out to train everyone else.

This was going around here when they were trying to ban the equine dentists, etc..... Our farrier friend was trying to educate the other farriers to what was going on, and they showed little interest and figured it didnt include them for some reason!! So, I see this thing still has not completely died. I know our farrier buddy had spoken in front of many groups here including some state folks.... will have to ask him his update on things as this was quite a while back!

Yep, better watch your blinking there, missy!!
default_wink.png
:

Latest posts

Back