ShedMonster Undercoat Rake: Dog shedding tool that works great for horses!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lil Eowyn

Reaction score
Hello,

Before, I posted about getting a good shedding tool to help Éowyn shed this spring. I got good and useful answers, so I went to Walmart and was looking in the pet section for the items you recommended, and I found this;

0003426445345_500X500.jpg

Its called the ShedMonster Undercoat Rake. It was only $4.97 and it works GREAT. I love it! It's meant for long haired large dogs, but that's pretty much the same thing as a long haired small horse, right? ;) I use it on my big horses too, and they seem to like it too. It removes all loose hair and if you press a little harder it'll remove more hair that would be about to shed.

Anyway, I thought I show you this since it really helps me, and its very inexpensive.

I have 2 or 3 of those type of rakes here. One has a double row of teeth. I do find them good for early shedding but my horses are too sensitive for them as the hair gets less deep and the teeth begin to contact the skin. They do however remain good for combing manes and tails if they get tangles (with the addition of cowboy magic or some other detangler of course)

I prefer the ones that have "teeth" -ie blades- in them, but this looks very good value.

I have something similer but it has multiple teeth and is hand held and was also made for dogs, but shorthaired ones, it is sort of like a rubber curry. I also have been using wire slicker dog brushes for manes and tails after washing and conditioning, works great to get out tangles.

I use lots of my dog brushes and combs(really bad tangles in tail gets the matt&tangle splitter with a thumb rest but it pulls out lots of hair) on my horses and use my horse shedding blade on my German Shepherd.I have even used human hair brushes on Minis manes and tales but they don't hold up very long.

I use human hair and dog brushes on my horses too. Not much of a difference ;)

Latest posts

Back