Shed Color?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoldenTree

Reaction score
What color will she shed?

Her winter fluff is a beautiful red color but when I part it and look underneath it is dark. The second picture is of last summer when the breeder clipped her and she was much darker. Is the darker color what she will shed too? And is she considered bay or brown? Just curious thank you!

Best I can tell in these pictures, she is bay. When you clip, you cut off the colored portion of the hair shaft. Clipped coats do not show true color. If she is allowed to shed naturally, her summer coat should be similar to her fluffy coat color.

She looks bay to me. My gelding is about the same color and clips out to a darker shade like that too, then slowly lightens and reddens again. If he sheds out himself, his color stays fairly consistent.

I didn't know that about clipping, good to know. I love her intense red so this is good news, thank you.

Her natural coat looks to be almost a "blood bay".... Lovely! Lots of brushing and some supplements for horse coats will help bring out the natural summer coat faster.

What Cayuse says is true. Clipping initially leaves a false color. When we used to show, we'd clip three times through the show season before the horse's true color came through.

Latest posts

Back