Shaving Heads and Necks in the Winter

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shalakominiatureshowhorses

Reaction score
So, I have been thinking of shaving the horses heads and necks for the presentation I'm doing in February for the 4-H. But, with the cold weather we have had, I'm wondering if that would affect the horses at all. Does the head and neck of the horse affect his body heat? I know the belly does, but do you have to cover the head and neck with a slinky or should I not shave the horses head neck at all? Thanks in advance!
default_smile.png

That hair coat is Mother Nature at her best....and she knows better than us! I would not muck around with that hair coat. You can do a very nice presentation without shaving. If you need something to help explain what your are talking about - bring pictures from an AMHA World and AMHR Journal to supplement whatever you are demonstrating with your horses.

I hope I made it clear that I am just shaving head and the neck, just above the shoulder.
default_smile.png
I shaved them in October and their coat hasn't grown in all the way and I have had to blanket them. I guess my main question was if the neck and head really contribute to them staying warm? Thanks for the info though
default_smile.png

Yes, it does - just like your head and neck needs to be kept warm, so does theirs. There is a reason for that hair, otherwise they wouldn't grow it.

Unless you have some way of protecting the horse (blankets, a warm barn) it's not a good idea to clip. I've done a complete body clip in January, but have a box stall, double blankets, and our nights were in the 40s and days in the 60-70s.

Just depends on your situation.

They are blanketed in 40 degree weather, never outside when it is muggy or raining, and they have an enclosed stall with wall barriers for rare southern winds and when they were shaved, we covered them with slinkys on their heads. I only have one blanket on them though, but they are always toasty warm when I feel under their blanket in the morning.

In Texas, I wouldn't fret too much, but I'd use 5 or 7 blade to keep some extra fur on them. If you live north, like I do, the most I'd be trimming is the beard. We've had nights down in the single digits and trimming anything else would be cruel and ask for frost bite, IMO.

PS: I don't recommend trimming the ears, either in or out until it really warms up for showing...... The ears are the first things to get frost bit.

I wouldn't recommend it either. I see you live in Texas but it seems you are getting alot of "winter" this year. We live in MN and don't begin shaving heads and necks until late march or april depending upon the severity of the weather. Someone earlier suggested you bring pictures to show a shaved horse and I agree with that. I am not sure of the thrust of your presentation to 4H but if you are talking about general care and feeding, you could parley the fuzzy horse look into the need to "feel" your horses to make sure they have adequate weight. All that hair can sometimes give the illusion of a well-fed horse when in fact, it can hide an underweight animal. Good luck!!

We are doing a miniature horse performance presentation for the Horse Club. All if them own barrel horses and I'm the only one with minis.
default_smile.png
they all know the basic care of a horse, but they always ask me what minis do. This is the second time I have done this presentation. We are going to drive, jump, liberty and obstacles. I just thought of shaving because of their fluff. The least I would us trim like miniv said
default_smile.png

It seems like you really "want to", but if it was my minis I would not. It is not best for the horses, anyway people like to see them all fuzzy.

You have well over 100 combined years of experience on here telling you it's best not to....but it appears you have made up your mind. They are your horses so do as you like, but if they were mine, I would NOT other than trimming the beards. JMHO

I've been lurking, but it is time to say something. Jean is right, that hair is there for a reason, and Mother Nature knows best. I've been doing demos for years including 4-H since 1986. If you must trim something as you seem to want to do, then clip the goat hairs, and blend in with a #7F blade into the neck, also clip the bridle path and nothing else. 26 degrees is below freezing. Pleas do not clip the ears as they will frost bite.

Now for a horror story concerning the head and neck slinkies that are so popular. Never leave your horse unattended with one on.

We have been showing for many years and after a bath at the end of the day we put the slinkies on, fed and retired. Never had a problem in like 10 years. But, problems can arise, as minis seem to find a way to hurt themselves. Once at a show I awoke early to go feed before the classes started and my grandsons gelding had obviously rubbed his neck or face, whatever with his linky on and now the slinky was rubbing his eyes. I took the thing off and both eyes were blood red. Thank goodness I had some ey ointment with me, but his lids were swollen, and his eyes were still squinted when he had to enter the ring. Now I only use them after a bath, with the horse tied in the isle while being watched and take them off when not attended.

26 degrees IS cold......colder than Texas usually gets........I wouldn't clip them in those temps. Beards - yes, but not the entire head.

Another suggestion that I do is use the blade attachements. These usually come as a set of plastic combs that attach to your blades. Sometimes used on human hair or most likely used in dog grooming. These will leave a longer length of hair. Works great for just cleaning them up and not actually taking off a layer of warmth. Usually works best when going with the growth of the hair instead of against it. Start with the longest one and skim over the top. Sometimes, it doesn't come out as smoothly as with regular blades, especially in certain colored horses. This just takes off the long scraggly hair and makes them look neater.

Jean, I appreciate and respect everyone's input and advice, and I have not made up my mind. I am taking everyone's input into thought and have decided to just trim. The fact is, I had an "experienced" horse woman with big horses tell me that a shaved horse in 27 degree weather is a happy horse. NO. I knew that a FULLY shaved horse wasn't happy. But I didn't know if the head or neck made a difference because I was told that the only thing that should be kept warm is the belly. I'm sorry if I sounded stubborn, judgmental or anything like that. I guess that's the problem of typing a post than actually having a face to face conversation. The message can be interpreted wrong.
default_sad.png
I'm very sorry if I angered you or anyone for that matter!

Hi kiddo . I think everyone needs to remember that you are a kid and that you love your horses. . I know you are friends with my daughter diva's girl. So don't worry so much ok. Trimming would be good. I know diva has a long beard. And could use a trim
default_smile.png

Some great advice! Please do not fret about some responses. Sometimes they come across to others not quite as one would intend (and in this case much too harshly). Just take in the advice and keep asking questions and learning-one thing universal here is the love everyone has for our fur babies
default_smile.png
Lots of luck!

Back