Shaving Head to the shoulder

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Southern_Heart

Reaction score
[SIZE=12pt]I have seen people that do it but what about the cold weather. Can they get sick from having their heads and neck shaved??? Maybe get sore throats or a cold?????? Just wondering! :saludando: [/SIZE]

Joyce

Hi Joyce,

We have clipped a couple of our horses heads and necks without any problems. We are located in northwestern Washington, and our horses are kept in the barn most of the time. We clip all of our horses heads and do partial neck clips in the winter, otherwise they get too much hair. So far, we haven't had any of them get a cold or get sick from having their heads clipped. Not sure about the rest of the country though.

Amanda

[SIZE=12pt]If you don't clip them close, like clip with a 8 or 10 blade you should be ok. I do it if I have a good reason to do so. Other than that I don't even try. [/SIZE]

I'm in Phoenix Arizona so that is not a problem. I am getting ready to body clip the horses I plan to show in April. I don't want a heavy sweaty coat after a work out. They do have coolers to wear and they are blanketed at night and if the temp drops.

Robin

I have been debating whether or not to clip some of my geldings neck, its been so hot lately! He is so itchy because of his winter coat, and it has been 80 out! :new_shocked: But, knowing Houston, the weather could change very dramatically overnight.
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Thanks for your comments.
default_smile.png
I am in Texas and this weather has been warm. Horses are swetting and shedding and thought of clipping just a bit to at least help them be cooler. We are supose to get cold tonight but only in the mid 30s as tomorrow supose to be back in the 70s again.

This weather is nuts, feels more like spring here. But I didn't want to take the chance of them getting sick.

Thanks again :saludando:

Joyce

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never had a problem with it either, and since it gets so hot here it's actually more comfortable for them I think most of the time.

It's the only way I can get a bridle to fit when I drive in the winter!!!!
Ditto. :bgrin

Jan

Our weather is constantly changing too. We had temps in the high 70's today and the shaggy horses are just sweating like crazy. We've clipped a couple heads and necks just to help keep them a little cooler, and they're all in at night when it's cold. So far they're all fine. :bgrin

I am in Shetland and sometimes clip the working horses, but they needs to be rugged as our weather can be really rough.

Last night we had 150mph winds! Quite common here, with snow in it too!

I am also in central AZ and it does freeze sometimes at night, however lately it has been in the low 70's in the valley (Phoenix) during the day. They get very heavy coats and when working them, they dont cool out well. I dont clip mine all the way to the shoulder but will do their head and then down the front of their neck a ways.... makes a big difference for them

Let me also just mention too though, that if I am not working them, I do not clip

I've found that when I work Spirit he gets soooo sweaty, would clipping his head and neck help him cool off faster?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been able to head and neck clip in late February before, but not in January.

When we do it, we wait til Feb. or March....and we leave the ears fuzzy.

MA

Don't all of you who show but shave head-to-shoulder in the off season have problems with the coats sun bleaching more in the clipped areas?
default_wacko.png
:

By the time it is ready to reclip for show, it has grown out enough. Also, all my horses have shade, so dont find they bleach that badly in the winter, unless I would keep them clipped constantly.

I have always learned and agreed with -

A very hairy horse who is in weather that spends more time being hot then cold (and remember with some of those huge coats even 60 degrees can seem warm) is better off being trace clipped or head and necked some what for them to cool off a bit as the last thing I personally would want is a horse who on a regular basis is getting hot and sweaty during the day and then is damp at nite.

but that is JMO

and I havent had issues with growing out and being clipped again for show season.

envy we bought a filly last year that was head and neck clipped in novemeber by the seller. WE FOUGHT IT ALL SHOW YEAR!! All year you could still see that line where she had been clipped previously. Drove me crazy!! It wasnt until about the 4th full body clip that the line was finally gone.

We live in Colorado its been in the 60s and even 70s and then gets 20 degrees. It crazy. I do a head, neck and underbelly clip on all the horses I work. I cant stand them sweaty and wet. They will stay damp through the night. So they all get clipped. They are all in the barn though. I havent had a problem with the coat with lines, but I dont clip the top side of the neck and they arent outside to get sunbleached until some of the hair grows out.

Latest posts

Back