shaving for shows

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

choclat dreams

Reaction score
I havent shown in the breed shows for several years. I have been doing solely combined driving. And kicking some big horse butt in the process
default_aktion033.gif
. Anyway, I was wondering why the need to shave so close on the hoses faces now for halter? I have seen some horses lately that the job is done so poorly I feel sorry for the horse. Just wondering why the change?
default_unsure.png

Just following the trend. One person does it and wins, and next thing you know everybody thinks they need to do that to win.

I heard a story once about a quarter horse trainer who had a horse who had a massive rear end. To draw attention to it, he braided the trail. Since he had a very good horse, and he was good, so he won. Pretty soon everybody was braiding their tails, no matter what kind of back end their horse had.

IMO I don't like the shaved faces. I close shave my muzzles, but the rest of the head is a 10 or 15.

I agree, it is a trend. I usually just use a clippers with a 30 or 40 on the muzzle. Personally, I think that my horse will win if it is good enough, not because i follow a trend that I don't really like. It is hard for me to make a horse look good in the ring if I don't like the look.

I agree, it is a trend. I usually just use a clippers with a 30 or 40 on the muzzle. Personally, I think that my horse will win if it is good enough, not because i follow a trend that I don't really like. It is hard for me to make a horse look good in the ring if I don't like the look.
Thank-you.
default_aktion033.gif
I really don't like the shaved look myself on most horses, and they hate it.
default_gaah.gif
If you do it too close to the show, they are so crabby..at least mine were, so the last 2 shows, I have not shaved, just used a finer blade on the muzzle and around the eyes. You also have to be so much more careful about sun burn if you shave.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's up to the owner, if they want to do it or not. Done well on most horses, I love it
default_yes.gif

I like the look and our horses usually fall asleep while my daughter is doing their facials. They don't mind, my daughter is good and hasn't cut a horse in a very long time. We mosturize after shaving and they don't go outside in hot weather during the day anyway so the sun isn't a problem.

Its just a personal preferance thing but I think it gives the face a very clean look. So if you chose to do it, there are alot of people out there that won't think you are being cruel to your horses.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the look and our horses usually fall asleep while my daughter is doing their facials. They don't mind, my daughter is good and hasn't cut a horse in a very long time. We mosturize after shaving and they don't go outside in hot weather during the day anyway so the sun isn't a problem.

Its just a personal preferance thing but I think it gives the face a very clean look. So if you chose to do it, there are alot of people out there that won't think you are being cruel to your horses.
I hope you didn't think I felt is was cruel--cause I don't. I just don't care for the look
default_biggrin.png
Variety is what makes the world go round. Most show horses are better cared for than we care for ourselves--at least it seems that way here. :DOH!

Hope all have a great weekend

Angie

I hear you, Angie!!! I would love to be one of my horses... tho they can act put upon, the truth is they "work" a couple hours a week and are caterted to and cleaned up after by their own staff (H and myself)
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png

No Angie, I never said you thought it was cruel. It was just a general statement from seeing this same type thread on this forum so many other times.

Yep this has come up many times, I like the look, but wouldn't and dont do it to mine. I like mine clipped neatly, but I don't do the balding, just the way I like my own babes!

I hear you, Angie!!! I would love to be one of my horses... tho they can act put upon, the truth is they "work" a couple hours a week and are caterted to and cleaned up after by their own staff (H and myself)
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png

LOL oh how very true LOL!!

Joy

Jill Posted Today, 04:40 AM It's up to the owner, if they want to do it or not. Done well on most horses, I love it
Yes, exactly. I like the look, and think it looks more finished. Now, im still working on perfecting my "facials" and am far from being able to do a perfect facial, but working on it.
default_smile.png

I hope you didn't think I felt is was cruel--cause I don't. I just don't care for the look Variety is what makes the world go round. Most show horses are better cared for than we care for ourselves--at least it seems that way here.

Hope all have a great weekend

Angie
Sooooo true here too. They are deffently pampered
default_yes.gif

Latest posts

Back