Quantcast

shaving for shows

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

choclat dreams

Reaction score
I havent shown in the breed shows for several years. I have been doing solely combined driving. And kicking some big horse butt in the process
. Anyway, I was wondering why the need to shave so close on the hoses faces now for halter? I have seen some horses lately that the job is done so poorly I feel sorry for the horse. Just wondering why the change?

ruffian

Reaction score
Just following the trend. One person does it and wins, and next thing you know everybody thinks they need to do that to win.

I heard a story once about a quarter horse trainer who had a horse who had a massive rear end. To draw attention to it, he braided the trail. Since he had a very good horse, and he was good, so he won. Pretty soon everybody was braiding their tails, no matter what kind of back end their horse had.

IMO I don't like the shaved faces. I close shave my muzzles, but the rest of the head is a 10 or 15.

dannigirl

Reaction score
I agree, it is a trend. I usually just use a clippers with a 30 or 40 on the muzzle. Personally, I think that my horse will win if it is good enough, not because i follow a trend that I don't really like. It is hard for me to make a horse look good in the ring if I don't like the look.

Royal Crescent

Reaction score
I agree, it is a trend. I usually just use a clippers with a 30 or 40 on the muzzle. Personally, I think that my horse will win if it is good enough, not because i follow a trend that I don't really like. It is hard for me to make a horse look good in the ring if I don't like the look.
Thank-you.
I really don't like the shaved look myself on most horses, and they hate it.
If you do it too close to the show, they are so crabby..at least mine were, so the last 2 shows, I have not shaved, just used a finer blade on the muzzle and around the eyes. You also have to be so much more careful about sun burn if you shave.

Last edited by a moderator:

minimomNC

Reaction score
I like the look and our horses usually fall asleep while my daughter is doing their facials. They don't mind, my daughter is good and hasn't cut a horse in a very long time. We mosturize after shaving and they don't go outside in hot weather during the day anyway so the sun isn't a problem.

Its just a personal preferance thing but I think it gives the face a very clean look. So if you chose to do it, there are alot of people out there that won't think you are being cruel to your horses.

Last edited by a moderator:

dannigirl

Reaction score
I like the look and our horses usually fall asleep while my daughter is doing their facials. They don't mind, my daughter is good and hasn't cut a horse in a very long time. We mosturize after shaving and they don't go outside in hot weather during the day anyway so the sun isn't a problem.

Its just a personal preferance thing but I think it gives the face a very clean look. So if you chose to do it, there are alot of people out there that won't think you are being cruel to your horses.
I hope you didn't think I felt is was cruel--cause I don't. I just don't care for the look
Variety is what makes the world go round. Most show horses are better cared for than we care for ourselves--at least it seems that way here. :DOH!

Hope all have a great weekend

Angie

Jill

Aspiring Cowgirl
Reaction score
I hear you, Angie!!! I would love to be one of my horses... tho they can act put upon, the truth is they "work" a couple hours a week and are caterted to and cleaned up after by their own staff (H and myself)

minimomNC

Reaction score
No Angie, I never said you thought it was cruel. It was just a general statement from seeing this same type thread on this forum so many other times.

lilhorseladie

Reaction score
Yep this has come up many times, I like the look, but wouldn't and dont do it to mine. I like mine clipped neatly, but I don't do the balding, just the way I like my own babes!

Leeana

Reaction score
Jill Posted Today, 04:40 AM It's up to the owner, if they want to do it or not. Done well on most horses, I love it
Yes, exactly. I like the look, and think it looks more finished. Now, im still working on perfecting my "facials" and am far from being able to do a perfect facial, but working on it.

I hope you didn't think I felt is was cruel--cause I don't. I just don't care for the look Variety is what makes the world go round. Most show horses are better cared for than we care for ourselves--at least it seems that way here.

Hope all have a great weekend

Angie
Sooooo true here too. They are deffently pampered

Latest posts