Sharing your Show Secrets

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Southern_Heart

Reaction score
I was going threw all my show stuff the other day and found my horses Baby Booties.
whistling.gif
Baby booties? You must be wondering as to why!
laugh.gif

Well it all started when one time I was at a show and my goodness my horses feet were all dusty by the time I got to the gate. Seemed like I was forever bending down wiping them clean. So having gone to the store one day, I came across these really cute Baby Booties, and the thought struck me on how to keep the horses feet nice and dust free till I got to the gate. Of course I had to buy 2 pair, but they fit the horse great and tie right on. Then when you get to the gate you have nice shiny clean feet. Sounds silly but it really works
laugh.gif

Just thought I would share my silly secret with ya.....
wink.gif

Now lets hear yours!!
new_multi.gif

Joyce

How about a secret that didn't work LOL. Let's just say I have ample chest. I didn't want to spend $50.00 on a no bounce bra, so I got the bright idea to vet wrap them down! Well, halfway through the class the stuff starts sliding off, ends up all tight and twisted and felt like I was wearing a python around my middle. Never been so glad to exit the ring in my life LOL. I'm still not wanting to pay that much for a bra so now I just pray I don't get so bouncy while I run as to loose my balance hehehe
whistling.gif

js1arab said:
How about a secret that didn't work LOL. Let's just say I have ample chest. I didn't want to spend $50.00 on a no bounce bra, so I got the bright idea to vet wrap them down! Well, halfway through the class the stuff starts sliding off, ends up all tight and twisted and felt like I was wearing a python around my middle. Never been so glad to exit the ring in my life LOL. I'm still not wanting to pay that much for a bra so now I just pray I don't get so bouncy while I run as to loose my balance hehehe
whistling.gif
laugh.gif
THAT IS WAY TO FUNNY
laugh.gif

i dont have any great secrets but will be watching this thread

LOL
thumbup.gif

I was sort of in the same situation..........I went to a show at Regionals and my mom wans't able to come as she was doing hair for the Ms. Arkansas pageant and she is the person that always packs stuff for "ME" as I spend all mine time getting the horses ready and packing their stuff. That year I was showing my driving horse and had packed the dress to wear with her - black with some glitz and it was black sheer on the top and sleeves.......go to the tack room to change and low and behold no strapless bra and not to look tacky with bra straps showing through the shear material I also vetwraped myself.........not something I would want to do but it served the purpose.

For a TIP-

For white legged horses I always take a permanent marker and do the hoof by the hairline (if they have black hooves) that way when you paint their hooves you don't have to go all the way to the hairline cause if you ever get a single hair with some hoof polish it tends to just draw it up and Opps........and if you are in a hurry even the hoof polish remover don't get it off quick enough.

I think my worst mishap was when I forgot my bra entirely. I have NO chest, so I often wear padded bras to fit my show clothes. I decided to ball up tissue paper and use that with vet wrap.

It worked well then we hit hunter. IT ALL FELL OUT. There were these huge balls of toilet paper on the ground and form my shirt. I wont do that anymore!
frusty.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
[SIZE=14pt]We do hooves with a magic marker and clear polish that way no black blobs fall onto the white legs. something I do for my feet or did when I had access to them is the paper hospital booties, I would polish my boots and when I went to the ring wear the paper booties till I got in there. Another thing is if you do use black hoof polish or goo wear disposable gloves when applying.[/SIZE]

Lyn

Speaking of hoof polish, I have a silver bay filly with striped hooves and one white one. What color would I use? Clear on all or black and clear on the white one?

Hmmm...I know I'll have to add to this, but my first tip is for baby powder, great for smudges on white markings.

We used to use hair gel for manes, NO way now! We use products made for relaxing/conditiong the hair of black people or hair that tends to be very dry. The mink oil sheen spray and blue (forget the name) conditioning gel (not for control) is fantastic for laying a mane. Don't use the blue on a white mane though!!

I'll think of some more
yes.gif

Where do you get the Mink oil sheen spray???

Robin

Baby booties! What a great idea!
worshippy.gif

I could knit some little hoof booties up in a FLASH.... I bet that Cascade yarn with the spandex in it would be absolutly perfect....allright, if you spot me in the stands with my dpns knitting booties, it's not because I'm in the family way.
laugh.gif

Hey All,

Well never lost anything in the ring other than my nerves.
upset.gif
But I can't live through showing without french chalk. It is great for white touch ups. Best part is it is not messy or stains.

And I want to know what this mink oil spray sheen is too...please. Love the magic marker idea, I am going to try it this show season.

I love threads like this.. and thanks for the giggles..
biggrin.gif
I know I won't be trying any vet wrap bras...

Tammi

another one is oil hairspray that is what i use can be found in any drug store in the ethnic products (boy that was the wrong way to word that sorry ) i use olive oil hair spray works great and much cheaper then show sheen.

and for the white hooves a judge told me once.. never use clear unless that hoof is sanded to perfection and looks amazing otherwise go for black

Don't follow fashion,, be tasteful. Followed the same with the horses I showed.

They were clean,slick coat, whiskers trimmed, eye lashes left on, muzzle not shaved, they where Elegant. I always placed in the top three places with the Andalusians.

one of those black gripper things for a nose twitch. doesn't hurt as much as a twitch ( and yes I tried it on my nose and lip
smile.gif
). keeps em distracted and I can clip alone. even the one who rears from fear...

concealer - i had a mare that rub her butt the night before her class and she was sorrel so the black skin was showing and I used concealer to minimize the color difference

ELECTRICAL TAPE how could i forget that!!!!! it fixes all sorts of tack and harness issues.

BUNGEE CORDS

Last edited by a moderator:
ELECTRICAL TAPE how could i forget that!!!
We do the same thing with duct tape. Hang the tarps in the stall area to enclose, use it on the tarps on the floor in the tack room to keep them from shifting underfoot, hold on blankets, hold neck sweats, have even used it for a pair of pants that were too long and needed to be hemmed on the inside. I know there are some other things but can't remember at the moment.

Tips..WHERE do I start LOL

Hair bobbles (hair elastics with little bobbles on the end) to keep the tail off the ground before the class, you avoid the wave that a knot makes, or after his bath it keeps the tail off the ground while it dries

Baby Powder or Corn Starch for white legs and in a white tail I will sprinkle through it to keep it really white (or even a light chestnut tail)

White feet, never use clear as it makes them yellowish, so I sand, then wash with SOS pads and then use white sneaker polish once dry..rub off excess then clear.

Grease..a blob of baby oil and a blob of vaseline/glycerine mixed in the palm works better than ultra IMHO (and way cheaper)

Listerine!! Great on a corner of the towel with a dab of baby oil to clean inside of ears..makes them clean as a whistle and refreshed

Q-Tips for touching up black feet (mind you may get the marker into the box asap)

Black shoe polish works great as an undercoat to the shiny black ..fills in the ridges a little

Shoe shine sponge (I "borrow" them from the hotels) to touch up harness or halters at the show

Healthy Hair!!! A must for the final rinse of a tail or mane or body..then as drying spray show sheen or whatever on the SOFT body brush and brush with hair..(try it, you'll love the result)

TUTTLES..I LOVE warm water with a dollop of tuttles and a quick bucket wash after they work, watch the water BEAD off their coats (especially for a newly clipped coat..adds oils) and boy do they feel refreshed~

A ROLL of shoe lace LOL..I have more uses for shoe laces than the shoe lace people so I buy it in a big spool

BABY WIPES..a must have for a quick once over before final touches

SHOP VAC..saves the arms lol

DOUBLE K's.. omg HOW THE HECK DID I GET BY THE LAST 30 YEARS WITHOUT EM??????

Palm sander...saves on the back for sanding feet (mine learn to put foot up on block while I sand away..oh and for sand paper I use Body Shop grade- grit 250 which makes the job a little longer but mega smooth without peeling ninety layers of hoof off

I have sooo many more, from my days grooming 10-14 Saddlebred or Hackneys at big shows, and they had to look as pristine as anything, but you had to do it in less time!!!!

Kim

PS sew some satin into an old sheet, once horse is bathed and final rinsed in Healthy hair, throw this on to keep the hair slick, then use the sheen on the brush..

Ok, Kim, I'll show for you this year but ONLY if you do the grooming! Wow! You have some great ideas there!

I laughed so hard at the vetrap stories! Talk about life's most embarrassing moments! LOL!!!!!

Judy..

I SWEAR if I see ANY vetrap in your grooming box I'll have to get the depends!

I too was giggling about the vetrap, however I used elastic track bandages, with the little tiny horse hairs in them, in the summer. Get the idea?? ITCH ITCH
yes.gif

Latest posts

Back