Sharing our foal born in October

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

picasso

Reaction score
I realized yesterday after reading the "clipping" topic that I had never shared pictures of our little one born in October. I posted on it that we had clipped her some yesterday.

I wasn't sure if the mare was bred or not. She had been in the pasture with the stallion, but every time he got close to her she tried to kick his brains out. Well, apparently not one time at least because she presented me with an adorable little bay pinto filly on October 14th. However, Mom had no milk. (That's one reason I was convinced she wasn't pregnant. She had absolutely no bag. I had been checking religiously. I knew she was fat, but couldn't decide if pregnant or not.) So off to the vet we went, plasma, feeding tube in the nose, shots, all the fun stuff. Then me, my son and his girlfriend feeding baby every 2 hours. Giving mare shots. It was a rough few days. My vet even told me later that it was pretty touch and go when we got her there. And of course the day she was born it was raining and muddy and we were having an unusually cold snap. Finally the mare got milk and the baby knew exacly what to do with it. And now she is absolutely spoiled rotten.

So here is High Mountains Sudden Impact (pending)-aka Baby Cakes the day she was born after going to the vet:

1264364399.jpg

And here she is yesterday after I couldn't stand it any longer and clipped her head and a little of her neck!!

1264364300.jpg

1264364264.jpg

1264364255.jpg

1264365539.jpg

She looks like her butt is high in this picture, but it really isn't. She's just got about 6 inches of "wool" standing up back there. She came out prepared for our Kentucky winter!!

Thanks for looking at our little one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank goodness you saved that precious Baby Cakes!
default_wub.png

She is heading to fulfill her promise of being a beautiful filly and some day a lovely mare.

Congratulations.

Charlotte

I love her eye, she is beautiful! Glad you were able to save her! Precious little girl.
default_smile.png

Great save! Good for you for not just waiting around to see what would happen. I'm sure you saved that filly's life by getting her to the vet ASAP.

Beautiful filly!
default_smile.png

Yes, that was a great save for sure!!!!
default_biggrin.png
She looks like a super nice filly. But of course I'm a sucker for those pintos, especially bay pintos!
default_yes.gif

She's beautiful! I'm so glad she made it!

You've come a long way BabyCakes!
default_yes.gif

Very cute...Congrats.

P.S. If she's downhill (butt-high) as a baby, that's perfectly normal. Many babies (big horses especially) are butt high until 2 or 3 years of age (less so with minis, probably, as they mature faster).

Nice looking filly....I'm going to do some clipping myself this coming week if dad and I don't go down to Kentucky..

I love the eye on that filly!! I bet she's beautiful under that thick coat. Congrats on saving her life!

She's beautiful! We had the exact same thing happen to use, except that we didn't have any complications. My daughters mare surprised us on Oct 15th, the day after yours was born. My little girl is also a bundle of fur, though I haven't clipped her, so you can't even see her ears there is so much hair :D

000_0673.jpg

She is adorable. Love her little face. Glad you had no complications. It was a total nightmare for a couple of days. Hopefully, we never have to go through that again.

Latest posts

Back