Share your pics of shelters, feeders, hay feeders,

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TinyMiteVillage

Reaction score
Lets see those pics of anything handy for minis. Water tubs, shelters, stalls, gates, feeders, just anything...............
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif

Anything that someone else might be able to use. Let's share.........
yes.gif
yes.gif

Here's a picture of the trailer dividers in my trailer. This is a 3 horse slant load gooseneck trailer. It went back to the factory after I purchased it 2 years ago to be retrofitted with miniature dividers. It will hold 8 miniatures. The dividers swing on the head side and have a drop down pin on the butt side. They work great!

CMtrailerstalls.jpg

Somewhere I have pictures of the stalls in my show barn. Looking for those now......

These are my barns;

Broodmares. These are each a kit we bought from Mueller Inc. They come with everything you need to make the little shed. The panels we designed and built ourselves.

broodbarns.jpg

These are the barns everyone else lives in. We also bought all the materials from Mueller, designed them and built them.

shedbarn1.jpg

An easy feeder.....muck bucket for hay. I tied a carbiner to the fence and hook it to one of the ropes on the bucket. For water buckets, we use some molasses containers we buy at one of the feedstores here. They are black and heavy duty.

The handiest thing we've found is the cattle feeders they are great year round and can be used for pebbles snacks and hay easy for them to eat out of but they can't get feet in to spread pebbles around all over the place. Just love the things they have drainage holes and are super easy to keep clean. Also makes a great dog bed for a nap when filled with hay.

reddeer053.jpg

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh nice Shawna! I recognize that one white ear and one dark ear!

I also use those cattle feeders. I've had mine for four years now and they still look new. I bought mine at Tractor Supply for 85.00, now I noticed they are 97.00.

Worth every dime. I have some mares that stand in them when it is time to feed with their front feet, or pound in them at feeding time to tell me to hurry up!

B

Well, the only kind of horses we've ever kept at home have been minis, so all our "stuff" is set up for mini size horses, but none of it is very creative.

Our two little barns have stalls that are "mini" size 8x12 w/ pipe gate doors:

Three%20Stall%20Barn%20--%2011132005%20--%20006.jpg

Two%20Stall%20Barn%20--%20Buildings%20--%2011132005%20--%20007.jpg

Our run-in sheds are an 18' x 21' three sided metal carport that we lined with wood:

Carport%20--%2011132005%20--%20033.jpg

and a 12' x 16' normal kind of wooden run in shed (8' tall at the highest part)

Run%20In%20Shed%20--%20Buildings%20--%2011132005%20--%20014.jpg

Our round pen is "mini" size being about 40':

11052004%20--%20023%20--%20smaller.jpg

I have a smallish pen w/ an 8' x 8' stall I can use for sick horses or to confine one when need be. It shares fences with one horse lot, the goat lot, and our dog kennel. Actually, I put our two "big" dogs (lab x chow and blue merle collie) in this small pen with the gate to the kennel left open so they can run in either fenced area, go in the 8x8 stall, and into the stall H made for them in the storage shed, which is one side of the dog kennel.

Whinny%20For%20Me%20Farm%20--%20Buildings%20--%2011132005%20--%20039.jpg

small%20pen%20--%20Buildings%20--%2011132005%20--%20036.jpg

Also, our fencing is "mini" safe in that we've used cattle panels on oak posts for most of it, and some of it is still heavy guage field fencing on oak posts. We found that the lighter guage field fencing, even though we stretched it TIGHT did not really hold up well. I like this kind of fencing because it keeps out most dogs (not that I've seen any strays, but still...)

Fencing%20--%20Buildings%20--%2011132005%20--%20009.jpg

From%20Side%20Yard%20--%2011132005%20--%20040.jpg

For feeding the horses, we have 8 quart flat back buckets on the fence and in the stalls. For watering, we have 55 gallon long / low troughs and one 25 gallon low trough for warm weather and for winter time, we have 4 16 gallon blue electric heated water containers that look like muck buckets.

Last edited by a moderator:
The other thing we're happy with is how the 10 stallions are seperated from the mares. They each have a hut in their own large paddock that can be closed of for winter and all have big fields attatched for summer. All the paddocks are seperated by either 10' or 5 foot ally's that way no one bothers the wheel barrow when l go through at feeding time and everything is close to the barn and l can see them all from the house. They can see and talk to everyone but are nicely spaced so no fighting or injuries. We call it stallion ally and it has sucker rod for fencing so no upkeep except for the posts.
biggrin.gif

outsides005.jpg

outsides007.jpg

And one more of the mare condo behind the barn right by their round bales and large field where they are for the winter which l can see from the family room. l need to see everyone from the house so this took a lot of thought and planning and we didn't want it to look to stupid
biggrin.gif

outsides020.jpg

I love the stalls we made in our barn -- so one more time I am posting the link to the webpage where you can see the photos.

Our New Stalls

The photos are too large to link into this thread.

JJay

Here's my hut it looks a little different now I cut off the bottom and reattached the pvc so the tarp goes to the ground and also replaced the tarp with a bigger one so its enclosed on 3 sides.

Dsc01288.jpg

And here's the feeder I just finished

Panelhayfeeder.jpg

Anybody else got any cool ideas they want to share.........This is a great thing to share with everyone.........lol.

Also for stalls you can take pallets and nail them together and use some tin to make a roof....I will try to take some pics and post them.

this is a port a hut and we love it. even our huge patches fits in it. from the front it doesnt look long but the side pic shows how long it is. Also has vents in the back.

before anyone says anything that is a gelding and a stallion playing in the back LOL.

shelter1.jpg

shelter2.jpg

That is pretty cool. What is it made of? Did you make it yourself or did you buy it like that from someone.....

this is their smaller one so its all one piece. we bought it direct from port a hut as that is cheaper. They were at equine affair etc. I only wish I had bought more then one!! It comes with the stakes to stake it down but we love it because they are so easy to move around

I, too, am interested in those port-a-huts. We have one mini as a pet....he's in with our three pygmy goats... and I currently have the barn sectioned off...keep one of the sliders open, so they can come and go as they please. But in the winters, I would really love to shut that door to keep out the wind! So was just thinking of plans to make a mini sized lean to....but these look like they'd be great! What's the cost of something like that and who carries them? I am in southern WI...have not seen them for sale around here...but have not looked either.

Thanks! I love this post already!! I'd surely share if I had something neat enough to share!

Angie

i believe i paid 250 or right around there, but that was 2.5 yrs ago. This fit in the back of our pick up truck. I had a friend order one in illinois and I believe they had it shipped. We did save money by buying it and picking it up at a show in illinois but they do have standard drop off spots all over the US.

This thing fits a ton of minis in it LOL. They even use it a lot during the summer because flies wont go in it. My farrier says the flies wont go in because its dark.

Next time patches gets in ill take a pic. Its hilarious seeing this big shetland peeking out of there :bgrin

I believe if you do a net search you will find the port a hut webiste

heres the website. these are also the people that make those little indivual huts that people like for minis

portahut

Last edited:
My husband has made just about everything here, except for the fencing. Inside of our loafing sheds I have an inside grain feeder. It runs the length of the barn, and I like to spread the feed out so they can't just gobble it down by the mouthful.

PB083121.jpg

This is the hay feeder I use in my pens, and I also use the smaller wooden stands for the black plastic grain tubs. I really like the height of them.

PB083137.jpg

This is a photo of the steel grates my husband makes. They work great to hold in the hay. These are old ones I used when we had alpacas, and if I ever had him remake them for me, I'd have him make the holes a little smaller.

PB083131.jpg

This is just one of those black rubber water tubs. My husband made a steel grate that fits inside, and it holds the hay down great! This is one of the newer grates he made for me, and the holes are smaller. They can get their nose down in there, but the smaller size hole keeps them from opening their mouth to pull out more than they can chew at one time. I think I like this feeder best because it's rubber, and it can be hosed out too. The little guy in this photo is notorious for pulling out all his hay to get to the chafe, and then then he pushes it out with his nose. Can't do that with this feeder! He ends up with very little hay on the ground, just what drops out of his mouth as he chews.

PB083124.jpg

Latest posts

Back