Shapleys MTG

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cretahillsgal

Reaction score
I have been applying the Shapleys MTG to the mane and tail of two of my mares for about 1 1/2 weeks now. But it STINKS!!!
default_smileypuke.gif
And is so messy!

Just curious how everyone else applies it and how you get the smell off of your hands afterwards! It smells just like a campfire where you have thrown in the leftover hotdogs! I hate having to smell that all night even after washing my hands 2-3 times!

GLOVES! and a "squeezy" top bottle that I can apply only a small amount at a time. (like the kind that they have Ketchup in at restraunts)
default_rolleyes.gif

Thanks guys! I feel like an idiot now!
default_wacko.png
Why didn't I think about using the gloves that I have in my foaling kit in the barn? UGGHH!

Am i really the only one who does not mind the MTG smell? Smells like bacon to me. I think im just use to it as it basically is sulfer, we just happen to have the worlds largest natural sulfer spring just down wind from us just outside of town, i must be use to it.

After shaking it up really well, i just drizzle it into the mane and tail and then work it threw with my hands and then brush. I have a filly right now that ripped out a good portion of her mane and i am just drizzling it down by the root of the mane and rubbing it in well. I apply MTG to the show horses manes, tails and forelocks 1x a week. Its a great detangler and the brush just slides right threw.

For all of you using gloves - one of my clients has found her nails are stronger and growing faster on the hand she uses to apply the MTG with.

default_wink.png

Well, I will be using gloves from here on out. I don't like that ashy, bacony smell! And I do kind of have a thing about not getting stuff like that on my hands anyway.

I was thinking why doesn't Shapleys MTG come in a bottle with a small brush applicator on the tip. Kind of like the Shout bottles have to rub the stain lifter into the stain. That way I could just rub the stuff in with that. Maybe I should send Shapley's a note!
default_wink.png

I dont mind the smell, I think I got used to it after 4 years of using it. Although my fingernails dont grow anylonger, my hands are much softer!

I only apply it to tails, if you have seen my horses, there manes and tails are long enough. I wash the tails on Sundays, and then every wednesday I put MTG in it. I do a certain braid that I found works the best, and rubber band it.

Leeana I'm with you. I like the smell of it. Reminds me of "Smoked Wood" the seasoning we use when making beef jerky.

My horses do not like the smell of it so I sneak up on them with a gob of it in my hand and smear it on the chapped or scraped areas and then watch them run.
default_biggrin.png

The first time I used it I didn't use gloves! I smelt like bacon for two days lol
default_rolleyes.gif
Learned my lesson!

Yep I don't mind using it.. Smells like smoked wood to me.. And I like that.. I just wash my hands with soap and water lol... So I am right there with Denise and Leanna. :D

Latest posts

Back