Shampooing faux pas ...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justagirl

Reaction score
:No-SadI hope I'm not the first to do this but I accidentally washed my all black stallion in Quic Silver , instead of Quic Black , now my black horse is RED !!! When I realized my blunder , I immediately washed him in Quic Black , but I think the damage was done by then .

so my question is ... what can I do now to get that beautiful black coat back . His mane and tail especially have been bleached .

How long did it set in? It says that its color safe for ALL colors up to 10 mins. Call or email Exzibitor Labs and ask, but I dont think you can do anything. Just wait till it dries...

Good Luck!

Alex

It stayed on at least 10 minutes more of less .

I may have to invest in a supplement to get his color back ... any recommendations ?

Call me silly - but I have never heard of Quic Silver diluting a black to red. I have used it on a black and white horse and it does no damage.

Was your horse sun damaged before you washed it?

You do have to be careful using the red or black on white though. I have had it influence white and my own skin. LOL!

Hope you get this figured out, if you do, post it so we all know what to do!

I too have used quick silver all over a black and white and have never had a problem. I've also used quick black on white when I ran out of quick silver and have not had a problem with that either. I really don't know why it would have had this reaction on your horse, but I would be interested to hear what you find out.

We use quick silver shampoo all of the time on our black horses and black/white pintos and have never had an impact with it bleaching the black.

If your horses hair is sunburnt, your best option is to body clip him and for the mane/tail - to dye it

The only time I have seen an orange or red tint when using Quik Silver (which I also use all the time on pintos of all colors) is when there was an issue with the WATER. There was one show where everyone's horses turned orange unless the water was filtered. Could it be something in the water?

I too have used Quick Silver on all colors of horses and never had it bleach the color at all. I don't leave it on any length of time, just as long as it takes me to scrub the horse and then rinse...

edited to add: we are also on well water, some iron/mineral content and no softener or filter system

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I'm not sure why this shampoo had this reaction to his coat , but he was not sunburnt or faded at all before this bath . He's been out all summer and there was no red at all in his coat ... but as soon as I bathed him it's like all the color was stipped from his coat ( after he was all dry ) mainly his mane and tail .

We are on well water ... I don't know if that would make a difference.

I will call the manufacturere and ask if this is a normal reaction on black horses.

I bet it was the minerals in your well water.

One way to find out is to buy a bunch of jugs of water........or go to someone's house who isn't on a well, and fill a bunch of containers......and re-wash your guy with the Quic Black shampoo.

Latest posts

Back