Shafts height advice

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madmax

Reaction score
Could I get some advice/opinions on the proper height of the shafts? All of my driving horses were 33" or shorter, long ago I was taught that the shafts should be adjusted so they were parallel to their body and not so forward that they extend past the horse. I keep seeing photos of shafts pointing skyward and forward. Please tell me what you think. I had horses comfortable in their harness and moved well and easily for me, and could pivot with one wheel stationary. I never used an overcheck bit and was careful about not having the overcheck too tight. Never any problems in the show ring with backing and standing in the lineup. Am I wrong all these years about the shafts,or is it about balancing the cart?

You are correct. The tip of the shaft should be just behind the tip of the shoulder and the shaft should be tiltied slightly upward at 3 to 5 degrees.

I agree about the shaft length being at the point of the shoulder. The shaft should also be level or just slitly up, but that will depend on the size of the wheels and the size of your horse. just be sure that it all feels balanced for your horse when you are in the seat.

Back