Shaft Width

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willow Flats

Reaction score
Wondering about proper shaft width. Rocko's are about an inch and a half from his sides. Annie's are less than that as she is only getting driven once a week and has gained a little weight. Most articles only talk about the proper shaft lengths.

I’ve been helping a friend with just this issue. The answer is “as wide as your horse needs to bend properly”. So it is a bit subjective. I love my Bellcrown as it has a lot of room in the back to allow for movement.

I’ve been helping a friend with just this issue. The answer is “as wide as your horse needs to bend properly”. So it is a bit subjective. I love my Bellcrown as it has a lot of room in the back to allow for movement.
Thanks dalvers63. Still trying to make sure everything is right on my new Aerocrown. It is a much heavier cart than he is used to so any errors on my part I think would be magnified. Someone took my photo the other day and when I looked at it, I noticed the shafts are sitting different there on the tugs than when first hitched and driven around. We had been doing some backing before I took him out to the main road, but not sure why the tug looks forward there. Any comment on that? I'm keeping the kick strap on him because those traces connect so low and he is still green.

As you can see the traces are on the last hole. Looks higher on his neck because the tail end is sticking up.

Attachments

• On the Road.jpeg
    On the Road.jpeg
    755.9 KB · Views: 20
Y’all look soooo pretty! I loooove your new cart!!! …. And your hat!! 💕💕💕
Thanks. Lol 😆 that's my helmet with one of those shade things on it. I might as well be wearing a Sombrero it's so huge!!!! Just trying to keep the sun off my face.
That street looks benign, but it is a two lane road with a speed limit of 55, so people are going 60+. During the week there is not as much traffic, but today was Saturday and we had to wait in some driveways while the cars flew by to get to that lady's house.

Wow, you and Rocko look so nice. Beautiful. I would guess you didn't do any trotting between the time this picture was taken and when you were backing him?
If the breeching wasn't quite snug enough I think that could account for the movement of the tugs?

Latest posts

Back