Shades of Silver

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paintponylvr

Reaction score
Sorry, had to do it!!

So many people have been asking about colors of their horses lately that I had to share a couple of pics.

All 8 our our "JR" mares are some form of silver dapple - 2 solid silver black, 5 silver black Tobi's & 1 silver bay Tobi. But they have different shading. OK, some of the JRs aren't really JRs anymore. They are older than 3 now...

Here's 8 in a row -

15jul31mix756.jpg

(last one in photo above is Classy, not Ami - have to go redo the text on that photo)...

15jul31mix0757.jpg

The filly in front is homozygous black. No cream gene... so not a palomino or smoky silver black. THINK she might be homozygous for silver as some of my other homozygous silver gened mares turned a gold color sometimes... Usually in July/August time frame - so has something to do with shading/sun fade I think...

15jul31mix0765.jpg

KoKo is heterozygous black, 1 silver gene, no cream gene - had a white mane/tail when a foal; Classy hasn't been tested yet but could be either hetero OR homozygous black & silver - tobi gene came from sire; Flashi is homozygous black and single silver & Tobi; Ami is heterozygous black, single silver, no frame (sire was black frame); Flower hasn't been tested - sired by homozygous black & Tobi, single silver gene out of bay arabX pony mare; Shamrock hasn't been tested yet but is going to be homozygous black - could be homozygous Tobi & silver... I have many pictures of all of these mares since foals (KoKo only since she was 4 months old - not from birth).

15jul31mix0761.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a mini stallion that looks a lot like Ami, except his tail and mane is not as blond. He is a silver smoky black. Know he has a cream gent because he produced a buckskin on a bay mare. Haven't tested him, but pretty sure he is homozygous silver since every one of his fials have silver.

Latest posts

Back