"Shackleford" won the Preakness, but...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Margo_C-T

Reaction score
..in the parade to the post---the big Paint "pony" horse that had an "indian" bridle on. Only a cord or line through the mouth, crossed under its lower jaw, it appeared..NO headstall, nothing else. I was impressed;betting that is one SOLID AS A ROCK ole horse. That's the kind I'd always love to own!!Its rider was a female, I *think*'...I was too busy looking at the horse and his 'minimal' bridle to closely notice other details, like which racehorse they were leading through the post parade.

(I am not a big racing fan, but do love to look at ANY handsome horses...so if I remember to, I watch these races.) I will 'predict' that Shackleford, who led the field ALL the way until near the end of the Kentucky Derby, will not win the Belmont, which I understand is the longest of the three races; he'd have been caught in the Preakness by the Derby winner, Animal Kingdom, had the race been even 1/8 mile longer, IMO. I think he just isn't a horse for that much distance.

Margo

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, he is such a handsome horse! I do agree with you though as far as racing at the Belmont. He is a lot of horse to keep the pace going.. but seems to be full of that intelligence spark! He definitely has the heart though.. After he won I did tear up when the jockey was sending thoughts to his Mother and his deceased Father.. so touching. Animal Kingdom is amazing however, but I feel like they will let him "burn out" quicker than usual with high expectations.

i noticed the paint horse, too!

years ago, there used to be an outrider that made the circuit with a gorgeous paint gelding. this horse wore NO headstall. all the rider controlled him with was a piece of twine around his neck. he was amazing to watch. while at keeneland race track in kentucky years ago, he was there and i went "behind the scenes" to visit with him. just an amazing horse!!!

Yes, Charlene, I remember that horse too--the one with nothing but a rope around his neck--I saw him on TV when we used to get the triple crown races here.

Latest posts

Back