Several horses are coughing and have gross noses

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kimbell

Reaction score
I am needing some advice on this, I have several horses mini and big horses coughing and they have really yucky noses. Could this be allergies since so many are doing it. We haven't done anything different, it has been getting cool in the mornings and I know that the ragweed is terrible right now.

I started them on Cough Free, just wanted some input. Thanks for your thoughts in advance.
default_unsure.png

Sounds like more than allergies if several horses are involved. I'd get the vet out ASAP.

A lot of times coughs and runny noses are VERY contagiouse. Could be nothing, could be serious. I would deffinitely seporate all the snotty couging horses away from everyone else. We had an entire barn of horses get sick last year about this time. Started with two that came home from a show and ended up coughing and snotty. The whole barn was sick within a week. We had the vet come out several times to check on them but aside from a little bit of medication we pretty much just let it run its course (they were all extramly healthy three and four year old show horses). We kept all of them turned out seporate and luckly everybody in the other three barns stayed healthy.

How old are they? What are their attitudes? (Are they eating, pooping, etc.?) Any other symptoms? What are the snotty noses like? Also, have you taken their temps?

I just went through this with two of mine, there is a virus going around. And yes, it was DISGUSTING! I have never seen such snotty noses.

Went by the vets and mine recommended to let it just run it's course unless they were running a fever or there were other problems. it has taken a few days but mine are doing better now.... it was odd because two of the four mares got it- one really really bad, but the other two (they all run in the same lot) did not.

KNOCK ON WOOD, so far nobody else on the place has gotten it, so I am HOPING that is going to be it. I have not had the horses anywhere nor have I brought in any strange ones- the vet said it's just going around.

I spent this evening bleaching water buckets, feeders, etc.. to clean them all out to help with the germs hopefully (have been cleaning the water bucket daily like this) and just crossing my fingers that nobody else gets it. It's the season I guess- I just also got over an ugly case of strep myself, after two different antibiotics cause the first ones didnt work... haven't been that sick in a while!!

I'd also have the vet out. You don't want it to get worse and it's coming up on being a colder time of year.

Sounds like Lung Worms to me...

I had a gelding a few year back that had this thick discharge from his nose and bad cough just like your horse, it coud be him getting a cold too though. When i read the symtoms it said lung worms to me..

The first thing my vet would ask, what color is the snot?

A couple months ago that's what happen to mine, I came home from a show and a week later they were coughing and runny noses. I immediately took them to the vet and he started them on antibiotic shots and antibiotic's by mouth. I was like OH NO, they have a show in less then 4 weeks!!!!!! But, they got well and got a clean bill of health. But, thanks to the quick acting of my vet he knew exactly what to do. So I hope your babies get well soon, but yes get the vet out ASAP it can ONLY get worse. TJ

be sure and check for lumps under the jaw. strangles also starts with a cough and runny gross nose. but not always

I had the vet out today, and he said they all have super colds. My little baby donkey started acting very sick today so I called and he came out and she had a fever of 104 and her little lungs sounded awful. He gave her a shot of Banimine( not sure of spelling) and a shot of antibiotic. She is so pitiful, her and her mom both are sick along with 6 or 7 other mini horses and a couple of the big horses. So I bought a whole bottle of the antibiotic pills.

The vet told me to keep an eye on the little one, due to her age and the sounds of her lungs. I am so worried about my little Libby. The vet said it was just like a cold going through kids, it has to run it's course. Please keep us in your prayers for a speedy recovery.
default_pray.gif

How are your horses and the baby doing today?

Just like in humans, antibiotics dont do anything to help a virus, which has to just run it's course, but they DO help in preventing infections as a result- like sinus infections and other things.. and pneumonia, etc....

I just kept bleaching out my water buckets, etc.... too and mine seem to be much better now and so far, knock on wood, nobody else has come down with it- just the two.

Thanks for asking, my little donkey girl isn't feeling much better but went outside with mom for awhile today. She didn't even put up a fight this morning when I gave her her medicine but this evening she did resist me some so that made me feel better. The donkey dad is now sick like the baby was at first, I brought him into the barn and gave him meds and he wasn't too happy with me after that. But these 2 are not eating still and I have a mini mare that isn't eating either so I think I will be calling the vet back out tomorrow unless some improvement happens over night.

I am having to crush the pills and put some syrup and water with it to syringe it in to their mouths, that's a job to keep them from letting it run out. Please say a prayer for my mini kids. Kim

Oh no Kim, sorry to hear you have another one not feeling well now.... but was glad to hear your little one was a bit resistant to the meds.

That is what I do.. are you giving them SMZ's? What I did instead of crush mine was to put them in a little tiny cup and just dribble some water over them and leave them for about 10 minutes. They will dissolve into mush! Then I put in a little molasses, stir and suck it up the syringe... and yes getting them to swallow it is a trick- I just give them a little at a time and I cup my hand under their chin and sort of hold their head up a bit and watch to see them swallow or something...

Usually though when they taste the syrup or molasses, they dont really fight it much and some actually start to really like it!

Mine are finally doing MUCH better and noses are clearing up and appetites are picking back up again. They had both lost some weight and I felt so bad for them- they sure just were miserable for a while.

I hope they all get through it ok and start to be on the mend... it too several days with mine.... and what was worse was that I had come down with strep about the same time they got sick too, and was sicker than a dog... I think we all felt about the same! I am STILL getting over that too!

We have had many fall seasons with sick/snotty horses, usually after Nationals or World. I started all of mine on an Immune Booster this summer - someone on here recommended it and I wish I could remember who it was to thank them
default_smile.png
- so far, knocking on wood, we've dodged that bullet this fall even though I took 4 young horses to Nationals. The only unexpected side effect from it was that apparently it kept my mares from settling...
default_wacko.png
...live and learn.

Jan

Latest posts

Back