Settling in nicely

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

misty'smom

Reaction score
It has been 5 days since I got Misty and Josie and they have settled in nicely!! I can't believe they are finally here!! It is GREAT to look out my windows and see them out there!! I've always wanted to get back into horses, I grew up with the big guys but the minis are perfect for this stage of my life!!!!!

They both are eating their grain and grazing on the clover and grass in their new field/yard! They both seem to be very calm and comfortable in their new home. I have been spending lots of time with them, brushing, touching their ears, tails and lifting their legs etc. The do not want to lead as well as they did at the breeder but we will keep working with them, they are only 5 and 6 months old. They already come when I whistle at the end of the day and go right in their stall to eat their dinner!! So happy we decided to get Josie, they stick right together and I think it helped with the transition making it easier since they were already buddies and stablemates!

Couple of questions........... Now this one may be really stupid but here goes ........is there a easy way of cleaning the small poops from their stall. I am using pine shavings and it is taking me awhile to rake through the shavings to find the small poop! I have a regular stall rake/pick. I remember when I was a kid cleaning the stalls of the big horses and it was much easier to clean!!!!!!!

What types of vaccinations should they get at this age (Josie,dwarf age 6 months, Misty 5 months)?? The breeder wormed them before she brought them to me, when should I worm them again? What are some signs of worms? Their feet have been trimmed twice so I think I can get on a good schedule with the farrier. They are getting 1 cup of grain in the morning, 2 cups in the evening. I bought the grain from our local farm co-op, it is what the other mini owners are using in our area. I also have a trace mineral salt lick for them. Any other suggestions/advice you all could give would be great!!!!

I am loving my new barn!!! They layout is perfect for my 2 minis and there is plenty of storage for hay etc.... It is very functional and I am so happy now that I took the time to search for styles/layouts online!! I will try to post some pictures later in the week. For some reason the ones I took are "too big"to post even though it is the same camera and picture program I used to post here before!!

Thanks for being such a GREAT source of info for my new family members!!!!!

Congrats on your new minis. They sound very sweet. Can't wait to see pictures. :)

As for the mini poops, they do have narrower tyne forks or the mini forks. You do have to bend more with the mini fork as the handle is smaller too. Not sure why they did that.

They would get vaccinated once a year. They shots will vary in certain areas and whether you will be showing them. I am not sure about a worming schedule for the young ones, hopefully someone will come on and help out.

Latest posts

Back