Setting Up MareStare

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little Wolf Ranch

Reaction score
Okay. . .finally convinced the fiance that using MareStare along with the security camera and Mother Nature's Milk test strips will be the best we can do this year. So therefore I have even more questions (as usual!)

QUESTION #1: What is a good wireless security camera for relatively cheap? My barn is about a 10x20 that can be made into two 10x10's with a see-through divider. It has a metal tin roof, there is a wooden support structure and the walls are not solid. The top 1/3 of the wall is wire mesh and the bottom 2/3 of the wall is metal tin. Will this setup be okay with a use of a wireless security camera?

QUESTION #2: What equipment do you need to successfully run a security camera with MareStare? How does it work and how do you get started?

ANY OTHER QUESTIONS AND COMMENTS ARE GREATLY APPRECIATED AND WELCOMED!

JUST ADDED:

Okay so after talking to Heather - I only have one question that she really couldn't answer!

WHICH WIRED CAMERA SHOULD I BUY? She suggested one of the following (see links below) but I would like to know your opinion on them and would like to know which ones you use? Thanks!

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/disp...temnumber=47546

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/disp...temnumber=95914

Last edited by a moderator:
Contact Heather at [email protected] - She is wonderful to work with and VERY helpful!
default_smile.png

To answer question #1, I bought a Swann wireless security camera last year. It does work fairly well. I do get some interference, but I can still see what I need to see. It's not as good as my wired cam, but the wireless can be moved around to monitor different areas, so there is that benefit.

Agree with Connie to answer #2. Contact Heather!

We have just joined Mare Stare after being on WeFoal for the last couple of years. We have wired cameras which work very well with their system.

I agree with Connie and Becky that Heather was wonderful to work with.

I bought the harbor freight "Weather proof Color Security camera with night vision" I do have lights in my stall. But at night it goes black and white. I am not connected to marestare but I do not have to keep going outside in the cold. I can also see how she acts when I am not there. The one down side to this camera and how I have it set up is 6:00am Princess is whinnying and she totally wakes up the whole house. I leave the tv on so if I get up during the night I can check on her.

Oh and the camera has a built in mic for sound.

Last edited by a moderator:
One of those cams is color and the other black and white. I think it would just be your preference. I do think those are great prices! I may add one in the future. The only problem for me is that I am running two cams off of one TV and I'd have to buy another TV if I add another camera!
default_wacko.png
My wired camera runs through the antenna connection and my wireless works through the A/V jacks. There's no place to connect another camera.

The only problem for me is that I am running two cams off of one TV and I'd have to buy another TV if I add another camera!
default_wacko.png
My wired camera runs through the antenna connection and my wireless works through the A/V jacks. There's no place to connect another camera.
You can buy a quad splitter and run 4 cameras on one screen. It is a special box that allows 4 pictures at once. Perhaps you could look into this. That is what I have which is great. When a mare is imminent I can put her camera on full screen if I like.

WOW - those are great prices or else prices have really come down from the ones Mare Stare used to recommend. I bought a color one because my thought was that I WANT people on Mare Stare to watch, so I figure they might be more apt to watch a cam with a better picture!!

I have the color one and love it. It has worked great for me in the past, and I love the mic too. But I see that the b/w one can go outdoors and in rain, so might be a better fit for some. I'm looking at getting another camera this year, but was worried about having two TV's...I'll have to look into getting a splitter
default_smile.png
Great idea!

Is there an inexpensive quad processor out there? I could buy another TV for what I'm looking at.
default_sad.png

Latest posts

Back