setting up in the ring questions and training tips needed

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shadowpaints

Reaction score
well we did good at the show this last weekend.. well sort of good. jumping took 3rd out of 5 horses, would have done better if he hadnt refused 2 jumps but all in all did good. learned lots!!

my question

when setting up a horse in the ring, how far is too far for 'parking them out' my gelding parks out on his own, i am pretty sure he parks out too far. as he was just as pretty as the other geldings in the ring, but didnt place well.

406271_10151079469755979_1181426354_n.jpg

we have to regularly push him back lol i think he was a shetland in a previous life lol

so how do we go about training to park out and how far? also whats the best things to use as bait?

does anyone have any examples of being set up right in the ring?

lol help!!

Yes, he looks too parked out. Try to set him up in different ways, or have someone else set him up, to see what looks best for him. Also, try standing further away from him so he doesn't creep up on you. I see your hand is right there next to his face, and some horses take advantage of that.

Well he already parks out so you want to minimize that.

I love how my girl is set up in this photo from this year's Julep Cup. She is relatively square and balanced (not leaning forward which is really common and hard NOT to do!) and she is alert with ears up and neck hooked naturally.

Stars Miniature's website has some great videos/articles on showing, clipping, teaching to stand, etc. Very helpful! (www.starsminiatures.com)

susiejulepcroppedphoto.jpg

Its the overall picture, he's too stretched and in most cases you don't want them stretched, you want them mostly square. You teach the whoa and stand at home. It annoys me to no end when a horse is creeping up on me so I don't allow it at home. This horse's neck ties in a bit low, so you have to figure out where is the best place for him to be to look his best. So before you next show, work on getting the stand and setting him up, and as someone else said take a lot of pictures to see where he is looking his best. Not every horse has that super awesome hooky neck, some don't want to use the neck they do have, so you have to really work to get it out of them. Getting the pictures is the best way to determine what looks best for him. If this were my horse I'd use a wider noseband on him. He is visually long between the eye and muzzle the wider noseband will make it look more balanced.

well im talking about all my horses that we show. ill work with cici as much as i can...

jet we tried a wider nose band and it looked funny on him lol

we will start working on setting everyone up, and get pics, ill add them to this thread!

This picture is my 11 yr. old grandson that was 9 at the time, horse is still somewaht parked out, but better as far as being square!
bob001.jpg

Now one not in the show ring but posing for pictures, he is more square, but not giving neck.

ThomasandSungold001.jpg

Still I feel that both of my examples are more stretched then is necessary, if you ran a string down from the rump the hocks are to far back from being square. AMHA likes them square, where as AMHR likes them more stretched out behind. Hope this helps.

RiverRoseVanillaSkySundown001.jpg

This is River Rose VAnilla Sky Sundown, she is more square! Hope this helps! There is a difference in showing in the registries, but I do think AMHR MIni divisions is starting to look more for the square look. Had a judge reprimand me for one mare that stretched.

Back