Serving while pregnant

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taya

Reaction score
Was wondering if a mare is served by one stallion and then is served by another a few weeks later. What are the odds of her being in foal by the first stallion. Is it common for a pregnant mare to want to be served again even if she is in foal?

If she is in foal to to the first stallion would this cause any complications (she would be at least 4-5 months pregnant now)

Would this always abort the foal if shes reserved?

Is it more likely that she would be in foal to the second stallion?

Any advice would be great

Thanks
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Mares do sometimes allow a stallion to breed them when they are already in foal. This can cause complications such as infection that could lead to the loss of the foal. Has this mare been checked to be in foal?

I have had a couple of Tarts allow themselves to be served whilst they are in foal. And it's not unheard of to have one served over two sets of consecutive cycles and foal to the first set of dates. Never had any abort due to being served during pregnancy.

Whether she aborts or not is totally dependant on her hormone status, health of the pregnancy, stallion or indeed if she was even pregnant before she allowed herself to be served.

Had you preg tested before she was re-served?

You mentioned that there was about 4-5 months difference between serving dates?

What part of Aus are you in? We've had a mild winter over here and I have seen one of my empty mares cycle.

Hi Fantasia

Sorry 4-5 months pregnant is what I meant. Perhaps more.

She was served in January by stallion 1 and then served in febuary by stallion 2 I assumed as she was re-served she wouldnt of been pregnant
default_wacko.png

she was very!!! keen on stallion 2.

She ran with stallion 2 up until the end of april but not sure if she was re-served by him as they were out in the paddock at the stud she went to

Hi CRPonies I just did 2 weefoal tests on her and both were positive. Booking in for a scan soon.

She was scanned in april but it was negative (as was another mare on the property who was said to be negative but is definately in foal) she will be re scanned hopefully this week

I had a mare abort the following day after letting a stallion breed her when she was already in foal. She was 90-100 days along. I personally try to avoid if it at all possible.

Im very sorry to hear that
default_sad.png

There is no worry now as there is no stallion on my property

Latest posts

Back