Seriously getting frustrated with the endless biting-colt bites me!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When Mingus was a stallion, his photo was in the dictionary next to the word dominant. Now that he's gelded, he's still a handful -- much more so than my stallion -- but he is SO MUCH better than before. Unless you plan on breeding, definitely have him gelded. You'll be much happier!

If you plan on breeding, make certain this is just a phase and not a personality trait that he could pass on to his get. The world is not crying out for more minis, so any breeding stallion needs to have great conformation, beauty AND a great personality. Not to mention, if you do breed, the LAST thing you need is an ill-behaved stallion excited about his mares.

I apologize if this sounds harsh, but I speak from experience. Now that Mingus is a gelding, he is my buddy and so much fun to be around. He didn't lose his spark -- just the obnoxious, testosterone-poisoned, stallion behavior.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have read a lot of the solutions to biting. Even a nip is not acceptable. I had an Ostrich that bit. These birds are really not trainable. However, I did have 2 training sessions that worked well. One was my hand. When he bit me real bad I had a knee jerk reaction and slapped his face, HARD. I happened to connect just right and he NEVER bit again. Another thing he would do is charge me. Now when mature Ostriches are about 7 1/2 feet tall and around 450 pounds. So 2 was a 10 foot 2x4. If I went into his pen I carried a 10 foot 2x4. One time I planted the 2x4 across his side (like hitting with a baseball bat). The next time he came running at me and I held the 2x4 up and he hit into the end of it. So, basicly I carried a BIG STICK. The bird got to where if I picked up the 2x4 he would go to the other side of the pen. My point is, if a big dumb bird can learn you don't bite and you don't charge, Then a colt can learn the concept too. You just may have to use a method that you may feel is harsh. Your safty comes first. You are going to decide if a bad bite is better than smacking your horse. I would try the method that Mona suggested. I stopped my biggies with a nail sticking out between my pointing and middle fingers (what I was tought in 4H).

The Kim Crayonbox 3 second correction worked really well for me when I had a stud boy at my place. I also got in the habit of carrying a crop with me so I could tap and correct when I felt the nip coming. Then he got me in the calf of my leg quite hard one day... Vet appointment made...nuts gone... problem solved. I didn't regret gelding him one bit. He sure made a sweet gelding. I think there are plenty of studs and plenty of breeders... me, I prefer it simpler cause great studs can make great geldings too. Good luck;... PS... the three second spaz and then recovery did really work nicely.. Kim describes it better than me.

When he even gets "lippy" play with his face and his lips until he is so sick of it he can't stand it. He will learn his lips and mouth are not to get near you. Also, biting comes from a lack of respect. t sounds to me like he's making a game of it. Make him listen to you ALL the time. Also, while i never advocate hitting a horse, a little pop right on the end of the nose will drive hom ethe point that behavior is no tto be tolerated. If it continues however, geld him. Would you keep a 17hh horse a stud if he were doing that?

Latest posts

Back