Serious question......please no fights

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ashley

Reaction score
If your child( or if you dont have one pretend you do) wanted to stay the night at a friends house, would you be ok with it if the other childs parents were gay? How would you handle the situation to make sure neither kid was uncomfortable?

Yes and depending on the age of the child. If younger then I wouldn't make an issue of it. The parents I assume would already know the situation and would be comfortable with it so the child wouldn't think anything about it if you don't make a big deal of it.

Quite frankly, I don't give a rat's A. What concerns me is the safety of a child and that the activities they take place in are appropriate.

I don't personally believe that there is any higher % of wrong doing to a child in gay people than there is in strait people. With that said, I trust NO ONE completely.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good parents are good parents, regardless of sexual preference. As long as I felt that my child was in a safe environment, I wouldn't have a problem with it. Now, of course, depending on the age of the child, PDA's should be EXTREMELY discreet out of respect (and that wouldn't matter if they were straight or not).

Yes, it would be 100% fine with me assuming the couple were good people. I would tell my child before hand "you know, Jimmy has two mommies." Love is love and the fact that a percentage of the population is gay is a fact. It's not going to change and it's not something I feel is anything to shield a child from. It's not a negative thing, it just "is".

I am so happy to see such open minded responces so far!

I too fall into the catagory of good parents are good parents no matter what gender they chose to be with. So long as all parties are grown ups, and they take good care of their children I would be fine with my kids staying over.

I too, trust no one completely when it comes to my kids. I am always super carefull and quiz the kids when they get home.
default_wink.png

My kids would not be fazed by a gay couple, we have a very open minded house hold, and we talk about everything very honestly. My 9 year old can ask anything and receve an appropeate but still honest responce so gay parents is no biggy to her

people without pets are weirder to her!
default_wacko.png

ps sorry my spelling is sooooo bad! :DOH!

[SIZE=12pt]Considering how incredibly well I would have to know all family members in a home where I allowed Mia to stay overnight, yes, I would be fine with her staying with a child who's parents were gay or lesbian. Of course Mia is well aware that not all families are Mommy + Daddy
default_wink.png
[/SIZE]

It would be the same for me if the parents were gay or straight.....as long as they are good people who I trusted with my child, their sexual preference would be a non-issue for me.

Frankly no, I would not be okay if the other child's parent was gay. I would not let my child stay there.

Frankly I can't see any good reason why I wouldn't be comfortable with it, assuming as others have already stated that the parents are good people. I would imagine if my (hypothetical) child is already friends with the other child, then they are already familiar with their family situation too. Other than a small preface like Jill's example, I don't even see why this situation needs to be "handled."

Frankly no, I would not be okay if the other child's parent was gay. I would not let my child stay there.
OK, I'm serious now. Nobody says a thing about this. She was asked for her opinion and only replied. She is entitled to her opinion and, since it's about how she would handle her own children, it has no effect on anyone else. We all have to chose what we feel is the right way to raise our kids. Despite the numerous people who have tried, there is no “Right & Wrong Manual on Children”.

Ashley requested no fighting on this subject.

By the time I started allowing my daughter to spend nights at people's homes, I always knew the family and felt comfortable about the situation.........this goes with whether or not the couple was straight, homosexual, or a single parent........

I happen to know some homosexual couples who would make MUCH better parents than some hetero couples. As long as the parents are nurturing and teach good values, that's what is important.

I would have to know the parents and trust them before i let my child stay there alone for 10 seconds nevermind overnight. their sexual pefernce would not matter so long as they are good parents and people.

Yes, i would. I would have a talk with my child first, of course, so they didnt ask the wrong question or put the other parents in an akward position.

The parents' sexual orientation would be a complete NON-issue. I would want to know the parents, straight, gay, or lesbian, but I would be looking to see that they were good, kind people, not to see if they fit into some pre-conceived mold.

I don't think I would say anything in advance to my child, as that might suggest that the parents were different. Children are by nature openminded and adaptable, and I'd rather they see for themselves that there is more than one type of loving family. I can't imagine an innocent question from a small child being offensive, and besides, they probably would already have discussed this with their friend!

I don't like my kids having sleepovers because they are all still young.

That said, I would only allow my kids stay at a persons house if I knew them well and trusted them with my kids.

Them being gay wouldn't have any effect on my decision.

I wouldn't really explain it to my kids......too complicated for them to understand.

Same way I don't explain why their friends daddy is not their real daddy etc

Kids are not prejudice or judgemental and they ask honest Q's.

If they asked Q's I answer them honestly.

My kids are 8, 6 and 3.

Of course I would not mind.
default_rolleyes.gif

My partner and I have already talked about this issue as we do plan to have kids in the future.. and are already planning to attempt to prepare for it.. even though are children are planned at least 5 years from now.

I am an overly protective parent and I do background checks before my children are allowed to stay anywhere. Honestly, it would not matter if they were gay. Their character is what I'm concerned about.

Gays are not child molesters and they don't seek to convert the world. OMG. What is the problem. One is born gay, not made that way. Take it from me. My parents were straight. Some of the worst parents in the world are straight. Why not get to know the parents? And then make a decision. I can't believe this kind of bigotry and ignorance still exists...
default_no.gif

Edited to add that I'm responding to "minihunterhorsefan"....

Our rule is we get to meet the parents, before our kid can stay there. We can get a feel for what kind of people they are. Sexual orientation is not an issue with us. As was said before, good people are good people, gay or straight. I have gay friends I would trust my child to stay with and I know plenty of heteros that I would not let even my goldfish near.

I would explain to my child, matter-of- factly, that so and so has two mommies or daddies. No big deal... and you better be good for them!

Latest posts

Back