Serious question......please no fights

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Frankly no, I would not be okay if the other child's parent was gay. I would not let my child stay there.

Sorry. Claws are coming out. I take this personally. What would you do if your child was gay? It's not a choice. Could you just decide, one day, to sleep with a woman. Most gay people, myself included, as teens pray to wake up straight. When we come out, so to speak, and accept ourselves is when we stop believing in all the messages that tell us that this is wrong and that we're to hate ourselves. I thank God I was raised by loving parents that are proud of me for who I am, not who I sleep with -and sometimes even then
default_wink.png
-. My father is an Oxford educated neurologist that is a well respected professor at U of T. My mother, a nurse. Both believe in god. Both love me very much. Thank GOD I'm not your child.

Frankly no, I would not be okay if the other child's parent was gay. I would not let my child stay there.
OK, I'm serious now. Nobody says a thing about this. She was asked for her opinion and only replied. She is entitled to her opinion and, since it's about how she would handle her own children, it has no effect on anyone else. We all have to chose what we feel is the right way to raise our kids. Despite the numerous people who have tried, there is no “Right & Wrong Manual on Children”.

Ashley requested no fighting on this subject.

And, as a gay person, I have a right to respond. No fighting.

Again, this is not towards you Ashley.

Last edited by a moderator:
Add me to the "I'd be ok with it" list.

I can't help but wonder if there are lots more that would not be ok with it that aren't answering. . .

I fail to see a persons sexual orientation as an issue. If they don't ask me about my sex life I won't ask about theirs. Keep my child safe and I'm happy. I'd be more concerned about the parents who's marriage is crumbling that have huge fights in front of my kids or get drunk and fall asleep before the kids do. There are far worse things to worry about that if they happen to be gay.

I guess I have always thought that.....no matter WHAT you choose to do, or how you decide to live your life, the beliefs that you have etc etc etc...

at least be confident enough in yourself and those choices, be proud of who you are and what ever you choose to stand for. That can really help one in not taking things "so personally" That can really eat away at you. Just as one person wants respect, understanding and acceptance for the choices that they make and the opinions that they have.....a person with the opposite beliefs does too. .
default_rolleyes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Assuming the persons were trustworthy and safe (like ANYBODY else) then yes of course they would. I have never understood how a person can see a gay person different from a straight person. It's all the same to me...just as a persons faith or skin colour makes no difference to me. A place that I would NOT let my children sleepover at would be one filled with closed-mindedness, biggotry and hate...i.e. someone that can't accept gay/lesbian/transgendered people etc.

I agree 100% with reignmaker miniatures.

As long as we know the parents and trust them with our child, I don't care what the orientation of the parental units are. I have absolutely no problem with my child being around same sex partners... As a matter of fact, one of the ladies on the fire department with my hubby is in a same sex relationship and Robbie (my 4-year-old) LOVES hanging out with her. As are our neighbors right next to us. To my kids it's the same as having a mommy and daddy... one just might have 2 mommies or 2 daddies!
default_wink.png

Since I don't have any young children this is a moot point with me. That being said when my children were growing up and I was raising grandchildren I didn't worry about the friend's parents sexual preference I worried about their actions and behavior in front of my/with my children.

No problem here.

When my daughter was growing up (she's now 33) we knew several same sex couples/friends with children. Not a issue.

Sue

I guess I would not care so much as long as my child was old enough to know this is not what God intended. (MY OPINION no flames) I would definitely have a talk about it and there would be an age where I would and would not permit it.

Thanks for not turning this into a fight. I do respect everybodys opinions/thoughts, and feel they are all open to say what they feel and their beleifes.

Now I am curious, If there is anymore out there that would not be ok with it that are willing to step forward. What is the biggest issue you would have with it? Is there anything they could do to make you ok with it?

What would be ok with PDA or along those lines? What can one do or not do in these situations?

No problem with it, all things being equal.

(provided no one sets off any warning bells for me, and I'd prefer to have my children a little older to do any kind of sleepover, anyway).

My kids are not shielded from the things in life that just "are" and this is one of them.

It does not matter to me which gender a person prefers, more so what kind of person they are.

The ONLY time that really matters is is they were a potential partner (and I'm married already, so I'm not looking...soooo you can guess how I feel).

A friend is a friend, and the more, the merrier!

Liz M.

I've never been a fan of sleepovers. Most the kids stayed here but I didn't like my kids spending the night at others homes because a lot of parents drink and have guns in the house and do drugs. We were only very close to a couple of parents that I trusted with my kids. I always wanted to know who the parents were that owned all the kids that hung out over here.

How would you handle the situation to make sure neither kid was uncomfortable?

Ok, I'll address this: If my kids understood that kind lifestyle so there would be no kind of shocking or embarrassing moments for anyone it would be ok with me. If my child was really small and just not ready for that kind of information, he would not be going to a sleep over in the first place.

I would make sure neither kid would be uncomfortable by letting them get to know you first! Let the kids spend time together playing with each other and being around you on regular play dates. Then they would be used to the lifestyle and not think a lot about it most likely and that is when they would be ready for a sleepover.

I also think it would be important for the child's parents to meet you and your partner too. Sometimes people are scared of what they do not know and what they do not understand. They can dream up all kinds of things they think might go on in their heads and it would be good to put their minds at ease. I feel that the parents should have a chance to come over your house and get to know you just as I would want to get to know any other parent.

Everybody has different belief systems and teaches their children according to that system. If it goes against the families morals and beliefs than I could see them not letting their child stay over.

(Marty, PDA = Public Display of Affection)

As most have already answered, the parents' orientation would not be of any concern to me, my issues would be how are they as people, as parents, etc? I would have to know someone VERY well even to let my children play over, let alone sleep over. My children are still very young so it hasn't been an issue but they have often been around gay/lesbian people and it's never been awkward or uncomfortable for them. My oldest sons (6 and 4) know that not every family or couple is man/woman.

Some of the best people I know are gay/lesbian and honestly, the percentage of "quality" people I know that are G/L is higher than in the straight ppl I know... maybe more character, consideration of others due to what many of them go through just in their day-to-day life??? This is not always true, I'm sure but it sure is in my little circle here
default_unsure.png

I'm one that would not allow it. It goes against my personal beliefs and what I would be raising my child to accept and believe.

Ohhhhhhhhhh PDA, Public Disply of Affection:

Ok in front of the children staying at your house? Like kissing etc. ?

Hus and I wouldn't be sitting around carrying on and smooching and going at it in front of the kids with their friends over watching us in the first place so I would say no. We could contain ourselves lol. Maybe we're just shy about those things but we still do always hold hands at the mall so I don't get lost.
default_biggrin.png
There's a time and place for everything. Besides, you'll be too busy keeping an eye on them.

Personally, I would also have to say no. This lifestyle is also against my belief system. No, I don't hate homosexuals; I just don't agree with their choice of lifestyle. Also, I would probably need to know the family pretty well before my kids slept over at their house, and I don't have any homosexual friends (unless you count forum friends which aren't quite the same). My places of socialization (church, Christian school) just don't include any.

I do respect everyone's opinion, but I will be happier when there is well documented, well publicized research and studies showing that being gay is not any more a choice than it is a choice to be straight. Hopefully when it's well known that it's the way a person is born (and in my own opinion, the way God made them), people won't be as judgemental.

As has already been said, a good parent is a good parent regardless of sexual orientation. I have met many straight families that I wouldn't even allow my kids over for a few hours let alone a sleep over. I think in terms of PDA, depending on the age of the kid, they all get like, "EWWWW" when witnessing PDA. That said, I guess my opinion on that is one can display affection without being over the top or providing over info. I think what I mean to say as long as it's affection and not disgusting (like GET A ROOM), I see no issue. People are very closed minded sometimes, and I'm sorry that this is an issue. I think there are many more things much more upsetting than same sex couples.

Jodi

Latest posts

Back