Separation Anxiety

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SammyL

Reaction score
[SIZE=10pt]Hi all,[/SIZE]

I just have a couple of questions for you all.

But first, I am planning on attending North Dakota State University in the fall of '09. I graduate from high school in the spring of '09. I am going there to study pre-vet and minor in equine studies. With the hopes of eventually specializing in miniature horses.

I have emailed the director of the equine studies program and asked her about my horses. I have four. I do not intend to bring them all. She said that two horses are allowed at NDSU but she did not specifically say what type of horse...rideable, not rideable, miniature, big..etc...

I am going to the campus this weekend to check it out. Including the horse facilties and all.

Feed and board of the horse is included in the amount you pay the school each year to go there.

I would LOVE to bring my first horse, Blue, with me to NDSU. He and I have a special bond that I have with no other horse. He does whatever I ask, but will test me. Just like any other horse. I love him, even though it is not what most people think of a "dream horse." He can be a huge pain in the rear end sometimes too.
default_wacko.png
But either way, I don't think I am going to be able to make it through school without him. I have had him since he was three months old and I was thirteen. We have been together for five years.

When I started getting more horses, I noticed something about Blue. He has slight separation anxiety. Not to the point where he runs up and down the pasture until he is foaming with sweat or anything, but he does get a little upset if his people and herd members leave without him.

So the question is, how can I ease his anxiety?

If I take him to college with me, he will be the horse that I use on a daily basis to learn on. Also, he will still be my responsiblity to take care of.

This may sound really weird, but I need him. He is kind of my inspiration to specialize in minis, and without him, I don't know if I will have the motivation to continue. Does that make sense?

Either way, I still want to do what is best for him, and if leaving him in the capable hands of my parents along with the other three is what is best, then I will do that too.

So another question...do horses get over their anxiety?

And another...would it be okay to take him with me, or should I leave him with my parents and the herd?

Thanks, and sorry this is so long, but with the visit coming up, I figured I should sort this out now.

I knew I was going to like you.
default_biggrin.png

When I started getting more horses, I noticed something about Blue. He has slight separation anxiety. Not to the point where he runs up and down the pasture until he is foaming with sweat or anything, but he does get a little upset if his people and herd members leave without him.

Horses are a herd animal so its' probably the horses leaving his sight that upsets him so much and yes it's normal. When I would take one out to go somewhere the others worry, but then it stops because they still have each other. I don't know how else to stop that except that when the others leave his presence, keep one behind so he will not feel isolated and alone. That should work. He just needs to buddy up.

This may sound really weird, but I need him. He is kind of my inspiration to specialize in minis, and without him, I don't know if I will have the motivation to continue. Does that make sense?

It's not weird. It's called love and devotion. Something we don't see too much of now a days. You are very inspiring.

And another...would it be okay to take him with me, or should I leave him with my parents and the herd?

I would wait until you visit the college and then decide. See if you like the set up there and if Blue will be able to have a buddy.

Best wishes for great success in your future endeavours.

I would wait until you visit the college and then decide. See if you like the set up there and if Blue will be able to have a buddy.
I agree wait til you see what facilities NDSU offers, they may only offer pasture board with everyone else's full-size horses (that's what my university offered, I didn't ahve minis, but still preferred to keep my horses off-campus). You might be lucky and they'll have stalls or pens available for pairs or individuals (a pair of minis could probably be housed in a full-size horse stall and run with maybe a panel added so they have some individual space, like for meals).

Latest posts

Back