Sensitive question..

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maplegum

Reaction score
I was at a mini show yesterday and noticed a lady driving a cart with her mini.

This lady was extremely overweight and the mini was obviously struggling to pull her around. He couldn't get his footing at certain times as he slipped trying to get traction.
default_no.gif

It upset me so much that it took everything I had not to approach her and voice my opinion. Looking back on it, I wish I did as that poor little horse couldn't tell her!

I am about 10 kilos heavier than I would like to be and I am worried about Bailey and Willow carting me around. This lady was more than obese. :DOH!

I believe that if she wants to drive a cart, she should find a horse that is more suitable to pulling her weight around. Basically, she needed a bigger, stronger horse. She can still enjoy driving, but find a horse that won't be hurting when he has to haul you around lady!!
default_sad.png

I have pictures of this lady in the cart but don't want to post them here. I am happy to email them if you'd like to see them.

Please give me your thoughts. It was very cruel and everyone was whispering about it.

I was at a show and have seen that before. The person wasn't obese or very large, had some weight on her but the horse was just way too small to be pulling her. I think that a person who really cares about there minis would know if they are too large or not for them. I agree, i think its cruel too.

I think we should all be able to tell if we are too heavy for a little horse that is pulling us in the cart, and if we can't tell then I don't think we should be owning the horse..

I too believe that was cruel
default_new_shocked.gif

What kind of footing was the horse working on? Was it sand or something?

Was the cart a proper fit? From what I have heard a cart that is not sized correctly to the height of the horse can make it more difficult to pull. A balance issue could be contributing. Just how heavy are we talking about? A friend of mine took me driving a while back and her very short mini had no trouble dashing both of us all over the place. The cart was well fitted and the mini was in excellent shape. Our combined weight was probably 240+ and the mare wasn't even winded and never struggled.

maplegum said:
It upset me so much that it took everything I had not to approach her and voice my opinion. Looking back on it, I wish I did as that poor little horse couldn't tell her!
Well, frankly the horse WAS telling her and she was clearly unable or unwilling to listen. That being the case, I doubt she would have taken very kindly to you saying anything if she couldn't see for herself her horse's obvious struggle.

Individual minis ARE very different, too. One mini may be able to happily haul around two adults at a trot all day while another horse at the same height is clearly working to pull them at a walk for a few minutes. A lot depends on the horse's build, conditioning, the way they are harnessed and the footing.

Leia

We have a mare that is 31"-32" and I think It is too much for her because of her build for her to pull both me and my neice at the same time because we don't have real flat ground to drive on. However, I have a heavier built mare that I don't think would have any problem pulling the two of us and she too is 31"-32". I think it depends a lot on your horse.

Her horse was pulling her around on a grass surface, outdoors. It was very uneven ground. There was also a section of gravel road which was flat where the mini also struggled.

I weigh around 158 lbs (72 kilos) and i have great concerns about my weight and how the little horses could pull me around. This lady would have easily been twice my size.

I don't care how well the harness did or did not fit. She was too heavy.

She needs to find a bigger a horse or loose weight!

I took this quote from another post

Most horses can carry 20% of their weight... so I'd assume a 200 lb. miniature horse could easily carry a 40lb child. This is for average "riding." The average riding horse is 1,000 lbs. and should carry about a 200 lb. rider around on the trails. The rule of thumb is 20% riding, and 200% pulling.Andrea
If you are going by 200 percent pulling I would think the horse should be able to handle the weight assuming it was conditioned?

There is a formula for this providing the horse is harnessed properly.......I believe it is twice the horses weight. And of course common sense comes into play here too. If the horse is not properly conditioned and a 400 lb. person climbs into the buggy the horse is not going to be a very happy camper!
default_rolleyes.gif

Bingo.....looks like we were posting at the same time........
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, a horse should be able to pull 200% of its weight. However, the weight of the cart must be factored in as well, plus the grade and surface of the ground they are pulling on! On flat ground with good traction, 200% would be an average for a conditioned horse to pull.

Andrea

This does not sit good with me, sorry.

Who decided that twice the body weight (200%) was acceptable? Some overweight person trying to make themselves feel ok that their little horses have to haul them around??

Get a bigger horse that won't even come close to struggling. It's simple. You don't have to give up driving because you are heavy...just get a horse that is more suitable!

Why would you want your mini to struggle?

It's not responsible ownership as far as I'm concerned. I don't get 'fired up' about many things on the forum, but I am very upset about this one.

I think the point is that I have seen unconditioned horses struggle with a 120 lb driver in the cart. Many people get in the cart after the horse has been sitting for months, hook up and go trotting down the street without a thought to the shock and concussion to the horses legs. Without a thought to the fact the horse is not conditioned.

Who decided that minis can only care up to 40 lbs? I rode a mini as a child until I was about 12 I can assure you I was not heavy and certainly not 40 lbs either. I was about 75-80 guessing by my own children now. He had no issues carrying me around on trails all day long .

These forumulas are simply guidelines and other things need to be factored in to ensure comfort for horse and owner.

Of course that might mean that a 220 lb person might not want to drive a 29 inch horse :)

A friend of mine does CDE, she tells me that the fit of the cart, height of the wheels and seat position and height etc are all important considerations for driving. She says that if you do not have a proper fitted cart for your horse it can add "weight" and make pulling more difficult. There are many factors that can cause difficulty of pulling and a proper fit and balance can greatly reduce the weight factor of the driver. People need to watch their horse for the answers, there are so many factors to consider.

I have noticed the same thing at the few shows I have attended. The biggest people seem to pick the smallest horses
default_no.gif
When I saw "Big" from Rob and Big on MTV get in a cart and drive a mini I was so nervous for the horse. I could tell the owner was too! Lucky for the horse he was not a teeny weeny and he was well conditioned
default_yes.gif
He didn't even seem to struggle for the most part
default_smile.png

Here is a picture

DSC03835.jpg

I was at a mini show yesterday and noticed a lady driving a cart with her mini.
This lady was extremely overweight and the mini was obviously struggling to pull her around. He couldn't get his footing at certain times as he slipped trying to get traction.
default_no.gif

I am about 10 kilos heavier than I would like to be and I am worried about Bailey and Willow carting me around. This lady was more than obese. :DOH!

I believe that if she wants to drive a cart, she should find a horse that is more suitable to pulling her weight around. Basically, she needed a bigger, stronger horse. She can still enjoy driving, but find a horse that won't be hurting when he has to haul you around lady!!
default_sad.png

I have pictures of this lady in the cart but don't want to post them here. I am happy to email them if you'd like to see them.

Please give me your thoughts. It was very cruel and everyone was whispering about it.

I've used this to show people that pulling a cart is actually pretty easy, even with 2 adults. I simply hold the shafts (minus horse) and have 2 adults get in my EE cart. I can pull them very easily, and I KNOW that my horses are stronger than I am, even my 31" gelding.

While she may have been a large person, that doesn't mean that a 30" mini couldn't easily pull her with the right footing, balance, and conditioning. Grass and gravel can make many horses slip, and may not have been from her size.

A trainer friend of mine specializes in driving horses, and he is well over 6' and probably over 225. Doesn't have any issues with his client's horses not able to pull him. But they are in shape and well fitted.

Latest posts

Back