senior feed vs. lite feed

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funnybunny

Reaction score
My somewhat chubby driving horse is coming back from the trainer after Worlds. He's an older stallion and seems to gain weight in his neck and in his belly.

He gets lots of regular exercise and training and the trainer feeds judiciously.

When he gets home, should I look into using some senior feed or lite feed for him? He will have the winter as a vacation but will get some regular light exercise.

A while back someone said they used Purina Senior very successfully. In another thread, someone mentions some Purina stores closing due to high prices.

Lite feeds are also available.

Does anyone care to share on senior feed vs. lite feed and tell which brands you've found successful?

We are always battling weight issues here. I have found that Nutrena Lite fed last winter kept them from adding anymore weight and even helped them to lose a few pounds. They entered spring happy healthy shiny horses and they love their grain. We are able to get it here in our area which by the way our area includes the store 20 miles away.

Purina stores closing due to high prices.

No you mis-read. Those were stores in MY area that sell Purina which have closed down.

I like Purina, it's good quality stuff and I fed Equine Sr. also for a long time.

It is probably not the best choice for your horse though because it has its share of sugars

Purina Horse Chow 100 or 200 is a whole lot less in sugars

Unless your older boy has teeth issues, because of his age..........I would check into the "Lite" feeds in your area. Be sure to read the labels and compare.

Michelle,

We do the same.........just adjust the amounts to the horses' need.........However, if an older horse is getting cresty, the amount of fat content in the senior feeds should be considered too.........JMO.

I would look into a "lite" feed for him. Horses get "a lot" out of the senior feeds and if he's got a weight issue, he doesn't need / probably should not have a senior feed.

I've been working with a nutriionist from Triple Crown Products and she recommends Triple Crown 30% and Triple Crown Safe Starch Forage for my "easy keeper" who is only 6 years old. I'm following her advice with him and the two new ones I have and I'm seeing some improvements already. You can call them anytime and they've been very helpful with me.

Latest posts

Back