Semi-Clipping for a show too rainy & chilly

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kdhminis

Reaction score
Hi, I am taking two of my mini's to their and my first show this weekend. It has been raining here and still quite chilly for 2 weeks. So... my plans were to show clip them both - but my mini's are "outside" minis - and I feel like for their benefit it is too chilly right now to clip them like that. (There 2nd show is in the middle of June so I should be able to show clip them for that show). One is showing in Halter obstacle - just to get a show under her belt - it is all that was available for a 'over' yearling to show in on the day I can attend the show - I hope we do okay - we have practiced but if we get disqualified at least per when I talked with AMHR office it will still count as a Nationals qualifying show - and we need two shows for that. My other 2 year old will be showing in Halter classes and color class.

So, with that all said - Should I at least clip their heads, necks, bridle paths, etc. (sort of like the clips I have seen on this board)? I think that would leave enough hair on them to tolerate the chilly nights here still. I love brushing all my mini's so their winter hair is almost all gone anyway - they are not bushy looking at all
default_smile.png

Please let me know what you would do - and if any of you have pics of the clipping style that I am speaking of - please post it here - as I need something to go by.

Thanks so much - this forum has such knowledge on it - for those of us that are just learning.

So, with that said:

It's still raining........ But my husband is going to go out and try to get a couple of pics right now - They will be wet and muddy for sure LOL

Well......I have some new pics - but having problems getting them on to here. I don't have a website to download them from. My photos go into Kodak Easy Share, I put them into picturetrail but when I try to put them into the forum just the link comes over not the photo. I will keep trying!

Our show season begins in MARCH and it's very cold... I usually just body clip and then blanket them with as many layers as needed.

However, if you are not willing to body clip, show them in a natural coat. I don't recommend clipping head/neck or trace clipping, I don't think it will look right.

Have you ever cleaned up a full-coated horse? Using a 10 blade, clip and blend the fetlocks and any long hairs along the backs of the legs (which usually stick out starting around the chestnut and downward) and then around the coronet band.

Shave the underside of the jaw with a 10 blade, blending as well as possible into the throatlatch and round the sides of the jaw. Shave the muzzle, above the eyes, and the bridle path with a 40 blade, blending with a 10 blade as necessary. Shave the insides of the ears with a 15, blending the edges with a 10 blade.

Avoid clipping as much "body hair" as possible. Clip NOW so that it has a few days to blend all together as it grows out.

Andrea

387246992.jpg

I had 4 photos - but only 2 are coming thru

From these photos, I think the bay could go with just a trim up, bridle path and around the head, legs, etc., with a 10.

The pinto I would shave WITH the hair with a 10 blade if you don't want to do a show coat. It's tricky, but if you take your time with a clean horse it should be OK. It will leave more hair but smooth it out.

From these photos, I think the bay could go with just a trim up, bridle path and around the head, legs, etc., with a 10.

The pinto I would shave WITH the hair with a 10 blade if you don't want to do a show coat. It's tricky, but if you take your time with a clean horse it should be OK. It will leave more hair but smooth it out.

Thank you everyone for your helpful ideas. I am going to watch the weather tonight for tomorrow - because I think it is not going to be raining - maybe!! (I may have to stay home from work to do it - darn LOL) If so I am going to try to do a full body cut on both. Right now I do not have any mini blankets - but maybe I can buy some tomorrow if any of the tack stores have any. I wonder if regular size foal blankets will fit mini's? Otherwise I can put these two in a stall at night. I have a run in barn with sliding doors that close the barn up for our mini's - but during foaling season it is divided into 2 large stalls. I have a new colt so one side is being used at night by that mom & baby. I will try to post pics so you can see what I end up doing as far as clipping.

Like I said my first show, my mini's first show, only my 3rd attempt at clipping - so who knows what they'll look like once I am done LOL I did buy some new Double K's to clip with (and a whole bunch of blades!!) so hopefully that will help. I am going to go and have fun. If my yearling gets DQ'd this first time - so be it - at least it will be a learning experience of getting off the farm, away from the other mini's, in a large indoor arena, loud speakers, etc. She may flip out - but then maybe not.
default_laugh.png

Yes the yearling bay filly is gorgeous - picture doesn't due her any justice at all. Thank again

If you don't have blankets, don't clip. Even if you have a stall... no blankets and it's cold, no clipping.

My stallion is in a box stall and we live in southern CA where it pretty mild ("freezing" to us is 40-50 degrees) and I would NEVER body clip without blanketing.

I would just clean up legs and face and go.

Good luck at your show,

Andrea

Going to see if I can find any tack store around that has mini blankets Monday. If so - I will take off work on Tuesday and body clip. If no blankets available around here - I will just trim as best as can be and go and have fun - and chalk this first show up as getting experience for my mini's and myself. Excited and a nervous
default_rolleyes.gif
Usually I order my tack on line from one of the mini dealers - but this time too late for this coming Friday. It is suppose to be middle to upper 70's during the days this week and in the 50's at night.

Latest posts

Back