Selling policies

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DakotahMoon_Ranch

Reaction score
Ok first of all I am not saying that youth are clueless, so please don't think that I'm bashing ANYONE from this forum...I think we have a group of well rounded youth and I'm proud of them...but...

In selling a horse, when a youth emails...what do you do? I have a girl (age 15) that is writing asking for a cheap mini (I mentioned the one line email I got the other day). I eventually responded with "What specifically are you looking for?" She then wrote back to tell me she wanted a mini to stick in a pen to keep her QH company. I emailed back and explained why I would never put a mini in with a big horse..etc..etc.. She wrote back this morning saying that she'd talked to her mom and they were going to build another pen for the mini
rolleyes.gif
. I told her it was my policy to work with the parents on any negotiations and I kindly asked how old she was. She wants a mini stallion because she can't have a big stallion, and she wants to show halter. Well I only have one 'pet priced' mini available, and he is NOT for a beginner.... She says she helped her neighbor train her paint stallion, but I don't know what that really entailed. I'm not sure what to tell her

Any suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a youth buying a horse this year. Great kid. HOWEVER, I immediately asked to speak with the mother. That is what I would do. No parent involvement.......NO SALE.

JMO, Carol

OK youth here, I am not bashing you either but I am going to repond to this post so don't get mad at me.

First off, a youth can really make a sale for you. They can badger thier parents into it, trust me I know, so if you do want to make a sale, you don't want to shut her down, but you do have to involve the parents now at this point.

OH boy I wish I had a dollar for each time my boys went trying to make deals behind my back.

But you just can't.

You have to talk to a parent. And you cannot do that through an email, because you will not know who you are speaking to. Some of these kids will lead you on like you cannot beleive. I know mine can do it!

She says she helped her neighbor train her paint stallion, but I don't know what that really entailed. I'm not sure what to tell her

I would tell her that you do not have a good candidate for her and have her look elsewhere.

I have told her that I would prefer to talk to her Mom, and have the email ready to send back saying that if there is any negotiations, it will have to be through her mother. I'm not in that big a hurry to sell this horse. First of all I want him to go to a good understanding home (above all else) and secondly, I want it to be a good experience for the buyer too, and all that means more than 'a sale' to me. I don't want it coming back to bite me in the butt.

I also asked where she was located because I could possibly take a look around and see if anyone had anything more suitable for her....so I'm on the same page as you Marty...

I just wanted to hear my feelings validated...and I felt sure that I needed to involve the mother, I just wasn't sure how to get that across without ticking her off. Some teens think they are 10 feet tall and bullet proof at that age and they don't think they need their parents' permission. I don't want to get into all of that...that's between them and their parents, but I will just send back the email saying that it is my policy to work with an adult and give her my phone number to call me, that way I KNOW who I am dealing with.

Last edited by a moderator:
DakotahMoon_Ranch said:
I just wanted to hear my feelings validated...and I felt sure that I needed to involve the mother, I just wasn't sure how to get that across without ticking her off. Some teens think they are 10 feet tall and bullet proof at that age and they don't think they need their parents' permission. I don't want to get into all of that...that's between them and their parents, but I will just send back the email saying that it is my policy to work with an adult and give her my phone number to call me, that way I KNOW who I am dealing with.
425875[/snapback]

If I were you the only question I'd be asking myself is, "Do I really want my horse to go to a home like this with what I know already? "

And if it were me the answer would be no.

Last edited:
I agree, the story you are getting does not add up. She wants it to keep the QH company but as soon as you say No- they will build it's own pen!! There is no way I would sell an entire anyway, and certainly not to a 15 year old!!

Legally, you HAVE to deal with a parent or guardian in a sale.

MA

You need to talk to the parent.

When I was looking for a stallion for "my" herd I was the one who first emailed everyone I was interested in for pictures, and if I was really interested, I would have my mom email them and talk about him.

I don't see why she wants a stallion, geldings are MUCH better, easier to work with too

If she is a youth-- she cannot show a stallion in youth halter classes. IF she is over 13-- she can show him in youth performance classes only. she needs a GELDING.

Amy said:
If she is a youth-- she cannot show a stallion in youth halter classes. IF she is over 13-- she can show him in youth performance classes only. she needs a GELDING.
426147[/snapback]

amy your wrong

i'm 15, i love my stud more than my gelding or filly... some stallions cary a speacly way about them(not saying that the are at all good for beginners!!)

anyway, (she is over 13, she is 15) i show my stallion in driving classes, halter, obstacal, hunter, jumper & solid colour class... Juniors can not show studs... youth can.

yes.gif

l know nothing about AMHR but in AMHA youth exhibitors under the age of 12 years are not allowed to show stallions with the exception of weanlings and yearling colts.

rabbitsfizz said:
I agree, the story you are getting does not add up.  She wants it to keep the QH company but as soon as you say No- they will build it's own pen!!  There is no way I would sell an entire anyway, and certainly not to a 15 year old!!
425954[/snapback]

rabbitsfizz i disagree,

maybe she didn't know that its not safe for the mini & she only assumed.. then after doing some research, she had learned & now understands.. it is never wrong to learn.. i myself have had things that i thought were great ideas.. then after thinking about it or learning more i make a better, more appropriate decision.

thats my opinion
rolleyes.gif

I'm 17 and will tell you my opinion on many horse related youth. I've been told by a huge number of youth that they have trained (or helped train) stallions and are experienced riders or drivers. Many youth tend to think they are totally experienced when really you can tell they're quite novice. Also quite a number of youth reply to emails about horses for sale and say they're very interested when in reality they aren't allowed a horse at all.

Obviously there are tons of youth who don't act like this but there are quite a large number that do.

Ask her if she's willing to give you a call. If you don't hear from her you will know she wasn't serious. She still might call if she's that desperet. Granted she might very well be allowe to get a mini. Although I personally I would want to talk to her parents on the telephone.

I have done all of the buying and selling of horses mostly myself, I contact the owner and talk to them about the horse, I get directions to see it and arange a time and so on. When I actually go see the horse my mom comes with but its "my deal" so she is just there to.. well to drive me I guess lol.

And for selling again I do all the e-mailing or awnsering questions over phone, placeing and paying for ads, giving directions, showing off the horse, and so on. Never ran into a "legal problem" ...?

As for this case, if you dont feel right about selling this horse to this girl then go with your gut. She doesnt sound right to me age not being a concern. Maybe you could suggest she look on dreamhorse for a pet mini, there are tons on there if all she is looking for is a pet. I would niceley back out.

oh one more thing
rolleyes.gif
.. i am 15.. i make all the i wanna buy/sell deals.. if a teenager is respect ful, i see no problem w/ sell to a teen.. as long as they act wise & are responsable.. i bought out filly.. & the lady we bought her from didnt meet or talk 2 my parents untill we went 2 go see her.. before we bought..

i would never recremend this tho some one.. but at worked out great for us.

i would talk 2 her mom or dad tho still
yes.gif

i think that it is good for youth to be getting into minis.. if they like them, they might breed them when they get older & thats one more person in the busness!

Think.. where you got started w/ minis?
wink.gif
some of us are lucky enoph to have or parents have them... what bout the other..

thats my opinion to.. no offence.. just my thoughts

yes age shouldn't be a consern... its maturity & education & reliabilaty... if her boyfriend or job or drugs or phone or whatever come before this guy.. than it is not her "time" to get a mini...

what porpuse dose she want it for.. just companion?...

keep us updated

what do you think of her.. is she responsable?

Midnight your wrong. A youth 13 and over can only show a stallion in YOuth preformance classes, no other youth classes. Remeber we are talking Rated shows, not open shows.

I myself was only 15 when I bought Dealer, although I did do it through person contact. I was never treated differently because of my age. I don't think its fair to assume stuff like that. I handled everything very maturly. I gave my down payment in cash, and I paid Dealer off in full when I came over to sign papers and pick him up.

I think its all a matter of maturity, not age itself.

Latest posts

Back